Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BRU or FRA for Transit to US?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2015, 12:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, UA Silver
Thanks everyone! I'm familiar with MUC and quite like it, but the timings don't work out for any of the routings except FRA and BRU, as I need to (try to) get home by a certain time... I don't have status on *A so the lounges won't really influence my decision- I do have a lounge club pass, for which I think there is a lounge at BRU and not one at FRA, but I've heard that the former isn't great. I have been thinking about the fact that there are many more options out of FRA to get home if my original flight has issues; that might sway me.
Old Sep 18, 2015, 2:05 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by whimsey21
Thanks everyone! I'm familiar with MUC and quite like it, but the timings don't work out for any of the routings except FRA and BRU, as I need to (try to) get home by a certain time... I don't have status on *A so the lounges won't really influence my decision- I do have a lounge club pass, for which I think there is a lounge at BRU and not one at FRA, but I've heard that the former isn't great. I have been thinking about the fact that there are many more options out of FRA to get home if my original flight has issues; that might sway me.
The efficiency of FRA vs BRU alone is enough to avoid BRU. Given the significantly higher misconneft options from FRA to me it's a no brainier - and personally I avoid BRU like the plague.....
Old Sep 18, 2015, 2:40 pm

Programs: All of them, UA-Plat, 1MM*G
May I add another question to the mix. I will be transferring in BRU from nonSchengen (Africa) to the US. Do the passport control holdups also affect such transfers? And if so, are there times of the day that are worse than others? Also, given that I have a fairly lengthy connection (~6 hrs.), can I evade this transfer passport line simply by exiting into Belgium, taking the train downtown, downing a beer and some mussels, and returning to the airport?
Old Jan 26, 2020, 11:42 am

Is BRU still terrible for transiting from Schengen to non-Schengen? I am looking at a CDG-BRU-ORD flight, with a 1:45 layover (CDG-BRU on SN and BRU-ORD on UA). My other option is a 1 hour layover in FRA. Which would be the better option?
Old Jan 26, 2020, 11:57 am

Programs: AC 25K
I have recently been through BRU and FRA. I have access to "Priority" security, and the lines at BRU were much, much shorter than at FRA.

There is no way I would take a chance on a 1-hour connection in FRA if I had to go through security there.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 12:36 pm

If you're risk-averse or need to make that connection, I'd choose BRU. Less complicated airport, less walking (well, maybe), no risk of security re-screen, and more time margin in your scenario.

IME the Schengen-exit border control at BRU has always been swift, but I'm aware there are others with different experiences.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
I did FRA and BRU recently. BRU was a breeze!
FRA, not so much, more use of remote gates recently.

BRU SN Lounge was also quite nice.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 5:21 pm

Programs: MileagePlus-Premier Silver, Marriott Bonvoy-Silver Elite
Originally Posted by IndyHoosier
Is BRU still terrible for transiting from Schengen to non-Schengen? I am looking at a CDG-BRU-ORD flight, with a 1:45 layover (CDG-BRU on SN and BRU-ORD on UA). My other option is a 1 hour layover in FRA. Which would be the better option?
Even at 1:45 you may be cutting it short in BRU, unless you carry a EU passport, which is a breeze apparently. Us “foreigners” have to stand on a long line to do passport control going Schengen to non-Schengen. It easily takes an hour to go through it, and I did that in December. No security though.
IndyHoosier likes this.

Last edited by VRFast; Jan 26, 2020 at 5:31 pm Reason: inaccurate info
Old Jan 27, 2020, 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by VRFast
Even at 1:45 you may be cutting it short in BRU, unless you carry a EU passport, which is a breeze apparently. Us “foreigners” have to stand on a long line to do passport control going Schengen to non-Schengen. It easily takes an hour to go through it, and I did that in December. No security though.
Thanks everyone. Since I normally don't book short international connections like this, does anyone know if I do miss my BRU-ORD flight due to long passport control lines, how does United normally deal with that situation? Would they put me on one of the later flights going to EWR or IAD and then fly me to ORD? Would they charge a change fee?
Old Jan 27, 2020, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by IndyHoosier
Thanks everyone. Since I normally don't book short international connections like this, does anyone know if I do miss my BRU-ORD flight due to long passport control lines, how does United normally deal with that situation? Would they put me on one of the later flights going to EWR or IAD and then fly me to ORD? Would they charge a change fee?
No fees - next seat positive space availability however they can help you. It pays to know what you want before asking though.

FRA should not involve security either though, not sure where that suggestion is coming from.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by findark
FRA should not involve security either though, not sure where that suggestion is coming from.
Probably from the many FRA "should not involve security"-transfers that involved a security re-screen. Although you have a point, that would almost exclusively be non-Schengen to Schengen transfers (with clean origin bearing no relevance), not the other way around, at least in a strict *A context, and on the condition one does not use the SkyLine to transfer. In BRU it's easy, no re-screen .
Old Jan 27, 2020, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by mozilla
Probably from the many FRA "should not involve security"-transfers that involved a security re-screen. Although you have a point, that would almost exclusively be non-Schengen to Schengen transfers (with clean origin bearing no relevance), not the other way around, at least in a strict *A context, and on the condition one does not use the SkyLine to transfer. In BRU it's easy, no re-screen .
Right - I'm fairly familiar with FRA and I don't think Schengen to US can result in transfer security because Schengen by definition arrives clean and can get to Z without transfer security. But I'm also lucky and the only time I have ever gone through security at FRA (in maybe 20-ish visits) is when it was my origin, although LH has saved my bacon with tarmac transfers from C arrivals before. It does make me extremely skeptical of the people who hate it though; I've always found it remarkably efficient and usually have time for a quick lounge snack even on 0h50 connections.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 1:33 pm

Programs: UA GS, UA 2MM, HH LT Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
I flew through FRA last year JNB-FRA-USA and, if I remember correctly, had to clear security and passport control (maybe just security?). Anyway, I had 1:50 between flights and missed my connection due to standing in line. However, from the FRA airport website:

You are arriving from outside the Schengen Area and your destination is in a non-Schengen country: Usually no passport check is mandatory, provided that that you do not leave the transit zone.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
I have often had very long waits at security at FRA and been left running for my connection.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by limey1K
I flew through FRA last year JNB-FRA-USA and, if I remember correctly, had to clear security and passport control (maybe just security?). Anyway, I had 1:50 between flights and missed my connection due to standing in line. However, from the FRA airport website:

You are arriving from outside the Schengen Area and your destination is in a non-Schengen country: Usually no passport check is mandatory, provided that that you do not leave the transit zone.
But that negates whatever US authorities are telling trusted foreign airports on any given day that they must do to aid in US security. How many times haven’t we experienced that final, unexpected semi- or full security at the end of the concourse where the US-bound flights depart.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.