Community
Wiki Posts
Search

PQMs earned on Air New Zeland

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2015, 12:29 am

Programs: 3.2MM AA, 1.4MM UA,StwdLftPlt
Thanks for the revelation..have a couple of SYD-AKL hops in the next year. Dislike those "gotcha" type discoveries after the fact. Emirates it is (less expensive as well)
Old Sep 4, 2015, 1:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AlanSFO
.. A disappointing event for me - could go same price Air New Zealand coach or Emirates first - chose the coach in order to get a few miles and PQM/PQD.
Yikes
You must have paid well over the odds if NZ economy was more than EK first. Did you buy on the .co.nz web site?
3hrs in Air NZ economy for few ff miles is far too much compared to first in long hual aircraft

[off topic]
Airlines that fly Australia (CNS BNE OOL SYD MEL ADL PER) to/from New Zealand (AKL WLG CHC ZQN) are
- Air New Zealand (codeshares with VA) [Star Alliance]
- Virgin Australia (codeshares with Air NZ) (Delta partner)
- Jetstar (a low cost low quality carrier with low-medium-high priced fares owned by QF)
- Qantas (codeshares with EK) [OneWorld Alliance]
- Emirates (codeshares with QF)
- LAN (SYD AKL) [OneWorld Alliance]
- China Airlines (BNE/SYD - AKL and SYD - CHC) [Skyteam Alliance]
[/off topic]
Old Sep 4, 2015, 4:30 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by AlanSFO
Yep that is it - took me four email roundtrips to the Premier MP desk to get that from them, so good find.

A disappointing event for me - could go same price Air New Zealand coach or Emirates first - chose the coach in order to get a few miles and PQM/PQD. Miles disappeared when I discovered you had to scroll down to discover that New Zealand to Australia is not considered an international flight by Air New Zealand, PQM/PQD disappeared after the extended conversation ending with that "hidden" reference.
For good clarity - this is because the ticket is not UA stock. If you purchased the route on 016 stock, you would get RDM as usual (i.e. multiplier times dollars spent), and you would get PQM as well (100% for V class).
Old Sep 4, 2015, 11:56 am

Programs: UA DL AA WN VX AS
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
If you purchased the route on 016 stock
The United web site wouldn't sell me this flight.

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
You must have paid well over the odds if NZ economy was more than EK first. Did you buy on the .co.nz web site?
3hrs in Air NZ economy for few ff miles is far too much compared to first in long hual aircraft
I bought on airnewzealand.com. The emirates flight was on expedia and looking at my notes was actually $60 more. Schedule played a big factor in the decision as well. The LAN flight was by far the cheapest, but had a really bad (early) departure time, the ANZ schedule was ideal.

I had seven > 10 hour legs in 3 weeks on that trip - a four hour flight seems like you just get on, take a nap and get off. I'll have a long Emirates first trip early next year.

Any PQM one can get that isn't on an EMB-145 seems like a good deal.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 4, 2015 at 1:23 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Sep 4, 2015, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
For good clarity - this is because the ticket is not UA stock. If you purchased the route on 016 stock, you would get RDM as usual (i.e. multiplier times dollars spent), and you would get PQM as well (100% for V class).
nope, not that easy. It till requires the booking class to be eligible. It's a mess.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 12:13 pm

Programs: United Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Starwood Gold, National Exec
PQM not same as award mileage

While award miles are different from PQM... it appears that United uses this per their website. Anyone have experience with this?

https://www.united.com/cms/en-us/mar...spx?itemid=379

Premier qualification

Premier qualification is based on flight distance3, class of service and purchased fare class (excluding any fare class bonus).

MileagePlus Premier qualification4

Class of service

Purchased fare class

Premier qualifying miles5

Premier qualifying segments

Business
C, D, J, Z 100% 1

Pacific Premium Economy
U, E, A, O 100% 1

Economy
Y, B, M, H, Q, V, W, T 100% 1

3Flight distance is defined as the miles scheduled for a specific flight, as determined solely by United.
4For more information on Premier qualification, including how to earn Premier qualifying dollars (PQD) on partner airlines, please see the Premier Status Qualification Requirements page.
5Unless otherwise noted, Premier qualifying miles are based on flight distance, class of service and purchased fare class.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 12:44 pm

Programs: 3.2MM AA, 1.4MM UA,StwdLftPlt
That Trans Tasman exception is a strange "gotcha." Takes some detective work to uncover it, but its another reason why I opted for Emirates SYD AKL next spring.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.