Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

New on time initiatives (Reuters article) begin in Jan

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New on time initiatives (Reuters article) begin in Jan

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2015, 10:18 am

Programs: 3.2MM AA, 1.4MM UA,StwdLftPlt
Originally Posted by FlyWorld
Perhaps you're over-thinking this.

Instead of implementing sophisticated IT or procedural changes (a capability that demonstrably does not exist), all they need to do is add 1 hour to the scheduled flight time, then they can "make it up" in-flight.
I was surprised at the "holding connecting flight" solution, since it seems to me that such a solution simply transfers the misconnect later into the day. However, padding block time will slow the propogation.

Unfortunate that one of the chief solutions offered simply treats a symptom of the underlying operational disease.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by JBord
You described just how I feel. They can blame weather, union contracts, whatever. But until there is good leadership with both a short and long term plan to fix operations, very little is going to change.

The RFID chip actually made me laugh. Maybe I just don't understand how it would work. But today, a cleaning crew exits the plane right next to the desk at the gate. That's the GA's signal to know the plane is clean. I'm not sure how knowing this 30 seconds earlier is going to help much. And they still have to wait for the cleaning crew to exit before they can board. Seems like a huge waste of money to me.
What airports do they do that at? I don't think I've ever seen that personally, but maybe I just haven't been paying attention. As far as I know the cleaners arrive in a vehicle at the bottom of the jet bridge stairs, and exit out the same way. And I've actually been on a few flights where I was at the back of the plane, and they were already on the plane cleaning the seats upfront by the time I got off. So they're usually done pretty soon after the last people get off the plane, but the gate agents are generally unaware of when they're actually done for sure, because at many airports they can't actually see that side of the jet bridge from the gate area. Not to mention they're busy doing other things to visually monitor where the cleaners are at and when they're finished.

Suffice to say, I do think there would be some value in giving the GAs some notice of when the cleaners get off the plane. The chip idea seems a bit much and quite silly. But if it works, why not? Zone control could also just radio the GAs when they leave, since they actually have a visual on them with all the cameras everywhere. That would be a simple solution.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 10:30 am

Originally Posted by REPUBLIC757
Not really. Northwest was generally super reliable even at MSP and DTW in the middle of winter with a great computer system. NW exceeded at IRROPS, CO always pooped the bed during it because of not having enough schedule padding, available seats, or aircraft. If anything, NW philosophy has dragged up DL's o/t rating since was pre-merger it wasn't great.

CO philosophy of "domino affect" scheduling is alive and well at UA. Hence a 738 being backed up with one rolling delay if it flies ORD-EWR-SDQ-EWR-FLL-EWR-SFO. Look at flightaware -- these are the types of CO schedules that contributes to the sub 80% on-time rating.
I think you're confusing operating philosophy with the customer experience. Both CO and NW had maintenance programs heavily focused on preventative maintenance, ground operation and scheduling methodologies. All of these changed post merger for each company.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 10:33 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by DENviaLAX
What airports do they do that at? I don't think I've ever seen that personally, but maybe I just haven't been paying attention. As far as I know the cleaners arrive in a vehicle at the bottom of the jet bridge stairs, and exit out the same way. And I've actually been on a few flights where I was at the back of the plane, and they were already on the plane cleaning the seats upfront by the time I got off. So they're usually done pretty soon after the last people get off the plane, but the gate agents are generally unaware of when they're actually done for sure, because at many airports they can't actually see that side of the jet bridge from the gate area. Not to mention they're busy doing other things to visually monitor where the cleaners are at and when they're finished.

Suffice to say, I do think there would be some value in giving the GAs some notice of when the cleaners get off the plane. The chip idea seems a bit much and quite silly. But if it works, why not? Zone control could also just radio the GAs when they leave, since they actually have a visual on them with all the cameras everywhere. That would be a simple solution.
Now that you mention it, I think you're right. Maybe not all airports use the gate. I've only noticed it when I arrive at the gate early before the prior flight has deplaned, which probably isn't all that often. So I probably should not have assumed it's system-wide.

But I still agree with you the chip is silly. There are cheaper ways to do it. Plus, watch what happens when the chip malfunctions and they waste 20 minutes trying to figure out if the plane is ready to go. A simple phone call to the gate from the jet bridge by the cleaning crew when they leave works just fine.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 10:43 am
Original Poster

He's saying PMUA's maintenance philosophy was unlike Northwest's.

Northwest had the industry's most aggressive preventive maintenance program and made for an unusally reliable operation for a fleet of its age. It was a remarkable operation.

PMUA was the other direction - lots of deferred maintenance during the prolonged bankruptcy.

PMUA ran its operation expecting above average cancellations due to maintenance, and having a domestic network that was stripped down to being hub to hub focused just reaccommodated quickly.

NW's network couldn't handle that gamble, it was more hub to point oriented, so invested more to avoid maintenance related cancellations.

And that's how DL operates today.

Originally Posted by REPUBLIC757
Not really. Northwest was generally super reliable even at MSP and DTW in the middle of winter with a great computer system. NW exceeded at IRROPS, CO always pooped the bed during it because of not having enough schedule padding, available seats, or aircraft. If anything, NW philosophy has dragged up DL's o/t rating since was pre-merger it wasn't great.

CO philosophy of "domino affect" scheduling is alive and well at UA. Hence a 738 being backed up with one rolling delay if it flies ORD-EWR-SDQ-EWR-FLL-EWR-SFO. Look at flightaware -- these are the types of CO schedules that contributes to the sub 80% on-time rating.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 12:40 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by halls120
pmUA did have pretty good OT record. But since that was pmUA, that practice has no doubt been rejected by current management.
Sad but true statement. Also wonder how much of the operational challenges is due to subpar tech systems and integration? Ignoring some of the positives of pmUA has really hurt the new airline.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 2:12 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by JBord
But today, a cleaning crew exits the plane right next to the desk at the gate.
They're usually arriving/exiting via the outside stairs at the end of the jet-bridge.

Originally Posted by exerda
You hold that flight, and it delays downstream connections.
The new system will add additional information into the decision to hold such as the actual flight plan's enroute time for that day, instead of just the scheduled time, if the airplane has the fuel to fly faster, and what the airplane and crew is doing next.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 3:13 pm

Programs: UA .5M, Vistana 1-Star owner
Wink

Since all on-time calculations will service their #1 goal, profit for shareholders, one wonders what would be the best way:
  1. spend minimum effort, pad every blocked time with 10-30mns & call it a day?
  2. sell the least reliable airframes to Nigeria/Indonesia & cut EAS services to get closer to market rate?
  3. use lawyers to sue those who're data collecting and analyzing UA's on time performance to kill bad press SkipLagged-style?
  4. double down on staff who do things that cause delays
Who know$ what'$ mo$t profitable for $MI/J?
Old Aug 31, 2015, 3:15 pm

Programs: MVP
5/5 of my last UA flights delayed, 3/5 due to maintenance, lasting greater than 4 hours.

Goodbye UA, i'll only fly you when i need to. Lucky oil prices have dropped or you'd be in real trouble.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 4:13 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by LarryJ
They're usually arriving/exiting via the outside stairs at the end of the jet-bridge.
And the crew (or some of it) is or is not on the plane already? If on the plane, how did they miss this? If not, what is the GA to do at that moment?

The new system will add additional information into the decision to hold such as the actual flight plan's enroute time for that day, instead of just the scheduled time, if the airplane has the fuel to fly faster, and what the airplane and crew is doing next.
In theory this could make sense, in practice could go to {pieces].

First, pax will get pissed about departure delays even if they really did not matter.

Second, this will make the system run with less tolerance to downstream delays.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 31, 2015 at 4:22 pm Reason: Using symbols, spaces or other methods to mask vulgarities is not allowed. http://www.flyertalk.com/help/rules.php#offensive
Old Aug 31, 2015, 8:01 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by exwannabe
And the crew (or some of it) is or is not on the plane already? If on the plane, how did they miss this? If not, what is the GA to do at that moment?
I don't understand your question. The idea is to notify the gate agent as soon as aircraft cleaning is complete. That's all.

First, pax will get pissed about departure delays even if they really did not matter.
Second, this will make the system run with less tolerance to downstream delays.
This system will give better information to the people who decide when, and for how long, a flight will be held. Better information will result in better decisions.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 8:11 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by LarryJ
Better information will result in better decisions.
Um .... Um ....

I'll just leave it at that
Old Sep 1, 2015, 5:57 am

Programs: UA1k DA silver
Originally Posted by eticket99
5/5 of my last UA flights delayed, 3/5 due to maintenance, lasting greater than 4 hours.

Goodbye UA, i'll only fly you when i need to. Lucky oil prices have dropped or you'd be in real trouble.

Agree...After 25 years of loyalty to UA switched to DL after being stranded in EWR and ORD on two different trips in the same week. Biz travelers need to get where they are going when they need to get there not the next day or day after.
Biz class trip to MAD this week will give me MDPL and should make Diamond before years end..So long Smisek
Old Sep 1, 2015, 7:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by goodeats21
What is needed is real operations management. Empowered staff on the ground and actual oversight of their many contractors. It is hard work and doesn't fit into an investor-targeted press release, but that is what would start to turn United around.

It is obvious when you watch operations that this is lacking. No sense of urgency, no management presence even at Intl irrops gates. There really is no leadership...
I was in the AA concourse at ORD late Sunday night kibitzing as 250+ pax waited out a mech delay on an ORD-LHR 777. A four- or five-hour hold turned into a cancel as the crew timed out around 1100p. But there were maybe five AA managers working the crowd (in addition to the regular GAs) with vouchers, constant updates / advice over the PA, news about baggage being returned and hotel shuttle bus logistics, AA employees approaching upset customers and calming them down before emotions could flare, at least one AA person who spoke other languages... it was about the best way they could have handled a bad situation.

Point is, injecting leadership, authority, and empathy improves things dramatically.

I have not seen anything like that at a UA gate in years. Generally the opposite. Flight cancels, staff flees, good luck.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 9:15 am

Programs: 3.2MM AA, 1.4MM UA,StwdLftPlt
Originally Posted by BearX220
I was in the AA concourse at ORD late Sunday night kibitzing as 250+ pax waited out a mech delay on an ORD-LHR 777. A four- or five-hour hold turned into a cancel as the crew timed out around 1100p. But there were maybe five AA managers working the crowd (in addition to the regular GAs) with vouchers, constant updates / advice over the PA, news about baggage being returned and hotel shuttle bus logistics, AA employees approaching upset customers and calming them down before emotions could flare, at least one AA person who spoke other languages... it was about the best way they could have handled a bad situation.

Point is, injecting leadership, authority, and empathy improves things dramatically.

I have not seen anything like that at a UA gate in years. Generally the opposite. Flight cancels, staff flees, good luck.
The following is a fictional quote meant to emphasize through sarcasm that United Airlines-in its desire to meet the demands of Wall Street-is losing sight of basic passenger service commitments in the face of all too frequent IRROPS. In this case, the ready dispensing of vouchers to soothe the crowd of frustrated passengers, a tool that pre merger United used frequently. It is a fictionalized takeoff on the famous Hunter Keays quote where upon observing flight attendants dispensing "free" soft drinks and juice that it "made his blood boil" the airline was not charging passengers for the material.

"When I read about airlines' handing out vouchers to frustrated passengers to soothe their frazzled nerves over delays and cancellations, it just makes my blood boil."

Wall Street airline analyst guiding United Airlines passenger treatment policies.

Last edited by luckypierre; Sep 2, 2015 at 8:38 am Reason: Per FlyerTalk "Rule 15" of which I learned about after 15 years of participating in FT discussions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.