Wiki Posts
Search

Failure to ticket my reservation

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2015, 6:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, DL Silver, UA Gold, *A Gold, OW Emerald

I booked a trip from IAD to TPE on April 3, 2015, and received an email from UA saying that "we are processing your reservation and will send...".
I decided to coordinate seat assignments with the friend I'm flying with and discovered I cannot find this reservation in my itinerary list.
I called UA and they said my reservation had been cancelled the same day.
The price of the trip has doubled since I booked it. I asked the agent what recourse I had. She suggested I use miles.
Any hope for this trip? I had and still have a flock of UA itineraries (which I have just verified) so I didn't notice this one missing. Scary.
Old Aug 22, 2015, 6:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
It's the reality of UA IT for the last couple years... they won't even notify you when it fails. #flyer_friendly
Old Aug 22, 2015, 6:45 pm

Programs: United MM (formerly 1K), Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Orion
I booked a trip from IAD to TPE on April 3, 2015, and received an email from UA saying that "we are processing your reservation and will send...".
I decided to coordinate seat assignments with the friend I'm flying with and discovered I cannot find this reservation in my itinerary list.
I called UA and they said my reservation had been cancelled the same day.
The price of the trip has doubled since I booked it. I asked the agent what recourse I had. She suggested I use miles.
Any hope for this trip? I had and still have a flock of UA itineraries (which I have just verified) so I didn't notice this one missing. Scary.
File a DOT complaint
Old Aug 22, 2015, 6:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm just surprised it took over 4 months to figure out it wasn't ticketed.
Old Aug 22, 2015, 8:07 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by Baze
Yup, there's that

Had it happen to me as well, but I was on the fence about the trip, so when it failed to ticket and my CC charge went from "pending" to .... well, nothing, it disappeared, I figured I really didn't want to go anyway.
Old Aug 22, 2015, 8:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Baze
Perhaps a typo (April instead of August)?
Old Aug 22, 2015, 9:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold

I believe, though am not 100% sure, that you don't have much recourse if you were never ticketed. It means you also weren't charged (did you not notice that?).

I think we're missing some information though. Was this all UA-metal, or was a partner involved? If so, they have 24 hours (72 if non *A partner) to confirm the fare on their end and can reject it, in which case, obviously it won't ticket.

If a partner is involved, always important to check at 24 hours to see what's going on. They can also fix it a lot better if several months haven't gone by.
Old Aug 22, 2015, 10:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, DL Silver, UA Gold, *A Gold, OW Emerald
Thanks everyone for your comments.
It was all on UA metal: IAD-SFO-TPE-SFO-IAD.
Back them I was without a printer for a month. I always print my itineraries. This one was missing. I will have to stay on tops of things better.
This also happened about five years ago on AA. I booked and never received confirmation. The sale was over when I noticed. No go.
I was not charged on my credit card.
Old Aug 22, 2015, 11:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
At least you caught it ahead of time. Some people don't find out until they're at the airport.

That's the reality of United.

Personally, if I don't have time to follow up on ticketing, I either defer my purchase, or purchase my trip on another carrier that has more reliable ticketing.
Old Aug 23, 2015, 5:07 am

Programs: UA 1K MM
Same thing happened to me twice in the past week but each attempted reservation involved a partner carrier which caused the delay and eventual cancellation after 48 hours. First time was an AC/UA combination in one direction and UA/Swiss on the return...the Swiss portion couldn't confirm. On my 2nd attempt it was AC/UA going westbound and UA/LH back east and that time the AC leg wouldn't confirm.

3rd try was LH/UA and UA/AC going back. Worked instantly the 3rd try.

Called the Premier line and the agent advised that if this ever happens again you should check up on things after 24 hours if the reservation hasn't been confirmed. It will drop out after 48 hours if not confirmed. Now I know.

Last edited by PenaltyBox; Aug 23, 2015 at 6:05 am
Old Aug 23, 2015, 5:24 am

Originally Posted by PenaltyBox
Called the Premier line and the agent advised that if this ever happens again you should check up on things after 24 hours if the reservation hasn't been confirmed. It will drop out after 48 hours if not confirmed. Now I know.
This is exactly the problem. It would be so simple for UA to send a message at the the the reservation is dropped...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.