Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

low premier upgrade chance for Premier Gold?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2015, 6:00 pm
Original Poster

As a Medallion Gold, I have been upgraded every time I booked an economy fare with Delta. All of them are short one hour flights, so I can't speak for the chance of upgrade for longer transcontinental flights. But based on the fact that I have up graded every single time, I would guess that, other than the major routes like LAX-JFK/LAX-ATL, I would have pretty good chance for upgrade.

On the other hand, I am doing a status match challenge with United (Premier Gold), and I have flown a few LAX-SFO routes on United a few times, and I have yet to clear for Premier upgrade even once. (Though I did get upgraded once for a SNA-SFO flight). The only perk from United is the access to Economy Plus at booking, which Delta took away from Gold status earlier this year.

I am not sure if this is coincidence, but is it true that United generally has pretty low complimentary upgrade among the major airlines?
Old Aug 5, 2015, 6:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by uclacolumbiaunc
As a Medallion Gold, I have been upgraded every time I booked an economy fare with Delta. All of them are short one hour flights, so I can't speak for the chance of upgrade for longer transcontinental flights. But based on the fact that I have up graded every single time, I would guess that, other than the major routes like LAX-JFK/LAX-ATL, I would have pretty good chance for upgrade.

On the other hand, I am doing a status match challenge with United (Premier Gold), and I have flown a few LAX-SFO routes on United a few times, and I have yet to clear for Premier upgrade even once. (Though I did get upgraded once for a SNA-SFO flight). The only perk from United is the access to Economy Plus at booking, which Delta took away from Gold status earlier this year.

I am not sure if this is coincidence, but is it true that United generally has pretty low complimentary upgrade among the major airlines?
I think most frequent travelers would agree with your last question. That said, LAX-SFO (and vice versa) is such a heavily-trafficked route that I'm not surprised CPUs would rarely clear there. It's also a really short hop, skip, and jump...doesn't really matter that much to me.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 6:19 pm

Programs: 1K
Your CPU % as a Gold is going to be extremely low, especially on SFO routes.

I don't have a great track record of CPU's as EXP on AA.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 8:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott LT Titanium, AA LT Gold, Radisson Gold, Hertz PC, HP Masters emeritus (sigh)
I used to have a pretty good upgrade rate on SFO-LAX as gold but now it's close to never thanks to the cheap upgrades and paid fares they have offered in recent years-- as with many routes. The good news is that your miles are worth something, unlike with Delta.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 8:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, National Emerald Exec
You are going to hear this many times... but your upgrades as a gold flying hub to hub are going to be in the low single digit percentages especially on cheap economy fares. For perspective as a 1K I usually have to burn an instrument if I want to secure an upgrade into SFO and even then I often dont get it. There are just that many high elites moving in and out of that airport, Most the time you can Global Services sitting in coach... Expect the upgrade list to be 50+ deep and most the plane to be in group 1/2. Really I wouldn't spend much time worrying about it, pick your E+ seat and that about all you can do, maybe you will win the lottery one day.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 9:03 pm

Meaningless

I am a 1k. Upgrades (for hub to hub) come on odd days (mid week) and the occasional expensive ticket. I try to avoid the latter.

Lot's of upgrades and UA elite do not go together. Enjoy E+, SDC, and short lines.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
I think you're sorely mistaken there.

That sounds about right.

Probably, they're very aggressive about monetizing domestic first, whether it's 20 cpm P fares or TOD offers to non-elites.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 9:36 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
My upgrade stats as a Platinum are in my signature. The CLE-EWR I missed last week had a list almost 50 people deep that didn't clear (granted on an Airbus with only 8 F seats.) Seems like a I usually clear on the outbound legs and miss on the returns. Just my isolated data points based on my travel patterns, and I fly on a lot of ERJ's as well with no F.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 9:42 pm

OP good luck with that. UA would rather sell a TOD than given out a CPU. Take today as an example, flew ORD-SFO and booked a B fare and applied an RPU. 24 hours out, F=6 but by time for flight left, only one upgrade processed and I was 7th on the list. For the life of me, can't even use my RPUs. I try but always fail to SFO even on slower travel days. SFO is near impossible in my books.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 9:48 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, UA 1K, Hertz Platinum
I'm on said route 3-4x a month. I have only cleared as Platinum on late evening Saturdays about 50%. My typical routine is Thursday-Sunday and that has yielded 0 out/in CPUs YTD
Old Aug 5, 2015, 10:16 pm
Original Poster

where do you get the option to buy upgrade for "TOD"? I was never offered any "TOD" before.....
Old Aug 5, 2015, 10:19 pm
Original Poster

As Premier Gold, it seems like I am usually #10 ~ #12 on the upgrade list (after those who were cleared on the LAX-SFO route)....
Old Aug 5, 2015, 10:19 pm

Programs: 1K
where do you get the option to buy upgrade for "TOD"? I was never offered any "TOD" before.....
TOD = Time of Departure = Upgrades offered during check-in at the airport? Could be wrong... I've always been assuming...

To make fun of this, people can also say TOD = Tens of Dollars (for non-elites)
Old Aug 5, 2015, 10:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hookthem
TOD = Time of Departure = Upgrades offered during check-in at the airport? Could be wrong... I've always been assuming...

To make fun of this, people can also say TOD = Tens of Dollars (for non-elites)
I see. So "Tens of Dollars" are just terms to mock the real term "Time of Departure"... I only saw "Tens of Dollars" when I searched "TOD" in FT forums.

Maybe I should watch for cheap TOD upgrade offer next time I check in for my United flights... I would assume that elite status does not get you priority for cheap offer.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 11:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Although the rate is route dependent, generally the answer is yes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.