Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United cutting back service on DEN-YYC?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2015, 10:48 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by phbl
who wants to visit calgary or edmonton? meanwhile albertans were escaping canada for phx and mexico as much as possible when usd:cad was 1:1 and the oil was flowing
Don't you think that's a bit harsh? Calgary is the gateway to Canada's Rocky Mountains. Banff, Lake Louise, and Jasper each offer a lot of natural wonders and recreational delights - and not just in the ski season.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 10:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by transportprof
Shouldn't ski season bring US pax up to Banff and Lake Louise at the same time that UA is cutting down to CRJs?
But probably not from DEN
Old Aug 1, 2015, 11:59 am

who wants to visit calgary or edmonton? meanwhile albertans were escaping canada for phx and mexico as much as possible when usd:cad was 1:1 and the oil was flowing
I dunno, how about some of the most gorgeous mountain country on the face of this earth and hands down the best on this entire continent, flat out better than anything in Alaska or Colorado. And they got some big time trout streams up that way if you are into that scene, or maybe you are the type who's only happy with a Vegas-type scene.
That's a great area with much to see with numerous forms of outdoor recreational opportunities in addition to skiing in the winter.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by EmailKid
And as to DL v UA comment, I believe that would be referring to posts about DLs much happier FAs...
Except on CR7s, you don't have any DL or UA FAs, just Skywest, etc. ones.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 5:07 pm
Original Member

Programs: 1k UA, UA MM, AA EXPlat
ONe of the major reasons I jumped to AA this year was the abundance of CRJ flying by UA. I have 91 segments and only three crj's--those were -700s. Lots of EMB but I really like those planes.

I am also batting 89/91 for upgrades. Haven't looked back.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 6:53 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by emcampbe
Except on CR7s, you don't have any DL or UA FAs, just Skywest, etc. ones.
Don't know about the ones on DL branded flights, but UA Light FAs seem almost as happy as UA Mainline

Not that I don't get a cheerful FA every once in a while ....
Old Aug 3, 2015, 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
in cattle coach the differences between a CR7 and a CR2 are vanishingly small.
Originally Posted by EmailKid
I think most of us who spend time on a CR2 would greatly disagree
I can't figure out which is worse.

I just flew in a UAX (Skywest) CRJ-700 yesterday in Y+, and with those slimline seats, there was basically no way to get a position that was comfortable to my back. Those seat cushions have essentially no padding in them whatsoever.

A couple months ago, I flew a connection from a CRJ-200 to a CRJ-700 (again, slimlined), and I actually found the -200's seat more comfortable. The problem with the -200 is that the floor is mounted too high, thus putting your head (at a window seat anyway) closer to where the fuselage curves in towards the center, plus making the windows lower relative to the seat.

But, beyond that, the seats themselves aren't necessarily worse. I've flown a few -700s with older seats and they were perfectly comfortable, but these new seats are terrible.

I understand the benefits of a slimline seat to the airline, but if it was at all possible for them to find a softer cushion, that would be much appreciated. Then again, with the seat itself being so thin, a softer cushion might not get you much until you're pushing up against the seat frame anyway.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by rmadisonwi

A couple months ago, I flew a connection from a CRJ-200 to a CRJ-700 (again, slimlined), and I actually found the -200's seat more comfortable. ....
Wait until they install slimline seats in the CR2's. Then it will regain the undisputed claim on the title "Devil's Chariot."
Old Aug 28, 2015, 5:33 am

Don't you think that's a bit harsh? Calgary is the gateway to Canada's Rocky Mountains. Banff, Lake Louise, and Jasper each offer a lot of natural wonders and recreational delights - and not just in the ski season.
Originally Posted by nunusguy
I dunno, how about some of the most gorgeous mountain country on the face of this earth and hands down the best on this entire continent, flat out better than anything in Alaska or Colorado. And they got some big time trout streams up that way if you are into that scene, or maybe you are the type who's only happy with a Vegas-type scene.
That's a great area with much to see with numerous forms of outdoor recreational opportunities in addition to skiing in the winter.

correct....and Colorado offers these things too.

those going to Banff are coming from FRA LHR NRT ORD. not DEN

point is, DENYYC is a business route, and not a very busy one being that there isn't a whole lot of geological and oil activity in ab right now
Old Aug 28, 2015, 6:33 am

Programs: UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
correct....and Colorado offers these things too.

those going to Banff are coming from FRA LHR NRT ORD. not DEN

point is, DENYYC is a business route, and not a very busy one being that there isn't a whole lot of geological and oil activity in ab right now
While true, your earlier comments made it sound like no one wants to go to Banff or Jasper. Those Canadian Rockies are quite stunning and great for summer hiking outside of the ski season. I doubt the change is due to vacationers, but rather the point to point business travelers.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 7:23 am

Originally Posted by Pingtung
While true, your earlier comments made it sound like no one wants to go to Banff or Jasper. Those Canadian Rockies are quite stunning and great for summer hiking outside of the ski season. I doubt the change is due to vacationers, but rather the point to point business travelers.
I said nobody wants to go to Calgary or Edmonton . If you don't believe me, look at how depressed everyone is at the gates for YYC and YEG in IAH
Old Aug 28, 2015, 7:33 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium
I said nobody wants to go to Calgary or Edmonton . If you don't believe me, look at how depressed everyone is at the gates for YYC and YEG in IAH
Or SFO, you should heard the complaining in the J cabin when a SFO-YEG flight lands in January, classic
Old Aug 28, 2015, 9:14 am

Programs: UA GS
As I do that flight from DEN to YYC at least 30 times a year. My personal view is: I have to, but I don't want to. Most of my seat mates feel the same. Worse feelings when it is spring or fall in Denver but already or still deep winter in Calgary
Old Aug 28, 2015, 9:52 am

I lived in Calgary for 12 years, and I'm sorry to read that it is such an unpleasant place to work for people coming up from the US. I had a friend who once said that Calgary was a nice place to live, but he wouldn't want to visit there!

There are some hidden gems (i.e., restaurants, cafes, clubs, live music) that could make your visits there more enjoyable. Like any place - the more you look for good things, the more you might find!
Old Aug 28, 2015, 12:37 pm

Programs: UA GS
I lived in Calgary for 12 years, and I'm sorry to read that it is such an unpleasant place to work for people coming up from the US. I had a friend who once said that Calgary was a nice place to live, but he wouldn't want to visit there!

There are some hidden gems (i.e., restaurants, cafes, clubs, live music) that could make your visits there more enjoyable. Like any place - the more you look for good things, the more you might find!
Oh I know the hidden gems. I have a place there. They still don't make up for the weather and the prices. Nature and the dry climate are even better in Denver.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.