Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Best practices / experiences for making claims based on Israel Aviation Services Law

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 31, 2016, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Israeli Aviation Services Law - English version

United - Rights established under Israeli Aviation Services Law (Compensation and Assistance for Flight Cancellation and Change of Conditions), 5772-2012 (“Aviation Services Law”) (2012)

United - Rights established under Israeli Aviation Services Law (Compensation and Assistance for Flight Cancellation and Change of Conditions), 5772-2012 (“Aviation Services Law”) (09/2016 version)

Israeli Aviation Services Law

Denied boarding or cancellation or delay

Israeli Aviation Services Law (IASL) requires airlines to provide notice if you are denied boarding or if your flight is canceled or delayed for at least two hours. Ask the check-in counter or boarding gate for the text stating your rights, particularly with regard to compensation and assistance. Please refer to United’s Contract of Carriage for the general terms and conditions applying to your transportation.
Print Wikipost

Best practices / experiences for making claims based on Israel Aviation Services Law

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2015, 11:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, EL Al ???, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
I'm happy to report that UA has reconsidered. I didn't expect the email, but it noted that the review board took an additional look at the case and determined it was eligible for cash compensation.

Whether it was related to the nasty email legal threats, the DOT complaint or the credit card dispute I'll never know.

This definitely restores some of my faith in UA. I was really shocked at how this had been handled.

Thank you all who encouraged me to keep fighting!
Old Jul 29, 2015, 11:57 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by ElieW
I'm happy to report that UA has reconsidered. I didn't expect the email, but it noted that the review board took an additional look at the case and determined it was eligible for cash compensation.

Whether it was related to the nasty email legal threats, the DOT complaint or the credit card dispute I'll never know.

This definitely restores some of my faith in UA. I was really shocked at how this had been handled.

Congratulations and thank you for the followup!

I'm not sure it restores my faith per se - if threats or complaints are all this corporation is able to respond to, I don't think that's a sustainable business model.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 12:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mdobbins
Congratulations and thank you for the followup!

I'm not sure it restores my faith per se - if threats or complaints are all this corporation is able to respond to, I don't think that's a sustainable business model.
You are right, that's why I said some. I'd like to think it wasn't the govt complaints or credit card disputes. Could they really work that quickly?
Old Jul 29, 2015, 12:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
^^

Way to not give up. And thanks for reporting back.

Originally Posted by mdobbins
Actually many insurance companies follow this model as their normal course of business. I'm not endorsing it, but these are smart players and they've undoubtedly done sophisticated analyses. Not sure UA has made a similar calculus as opposed to just having an arbitrary process with a bias towards "no."
Old Jul 29, 2015, 12:20 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie

Well done ^ and way to not give up ^
Old Jul 29, 2015, 12:41 pm

I agree. Doing the right thing only after throwing the book in terms of credit card charge backs, DOT complaints, and legal threats isn't exactly underlining United's innate fairness and reasonableness.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 12:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K

Cool. How much?
Old Jul 29, 2015, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Did UA ever re-book you or did you suffer additional out-of-pocket expenses until reaching your destination?

How much did they agree to pay out?
Old Jul 29, 2015, 2:22 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
You are right, that's why I said some. I'd like to think it wasn't the govt complaints or credit card disputes. Could they really work that quickly?
There are lots of reports of quick call backs from UA in response to DOT complaints. Its why I suggest people use them. No way that they take each issue and review it with some kind of review board. What happened is that the department that deals with DOT complaints decided this was not one they wanted to flight, cut you a check.

It should not take a complaint to DOT to get UA's attention, but unfortunately it appears it does...
Old Jul 29, 2015, 11:12 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Lifetime Hilton Diamond
Congratulations on not giving up! By coincidence, I just downloaded UA's contract of carriage (I travel with it) which was updated this month and I noticed that it references that compensation for delays and/or cancellations (with categories based upon duration and whether prior notice) for flights departing from outside of the US are subject to any requirements for compensation from the country of departure.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 4:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by joshwex90
Did UA ever re-book you or did you suffer additional out-of-pocket expenses until reaching your destination?

How much did they agree to pay out?
They offered 3,000 Shekels on a debit card ($795), or a e-certificate worth a nice amount more, or 30,000 miles. For my valued time spent on this case and the 2 hour delay on the make up flight they let me keep the first $175 certificate and the 5,000 miles they had subsequently put into my account to try to placate me. I thought that was a nice gesture. (Though all the extra combined covers what they should have compensated me for canceled flight #1 in February)

In this case I only had small expenditures. I was re booked on the next flight (had to request, it wasn't auto) which was scheduled about 13 hours later. However, I couldn't make the connections to LAX, so I had to push off for a week. That extra trip to airport for LAX flight and parking probably cost about $50. More important to me was the extreme pressure I had to deal with to fit that trip in within a very hectic work/flight schedule

Originally Posted by spin88
There are lots of reports of quick call backs from UA in response to DOT complaints. Its why I suggest people use them. No way that they take each issue and review it with some kind of review board. What happened is that the department that deals with DOT complaints decided this was not one they wanted to flight, cut you a check.

It should not take a complaint to DOT to get UA's attention, but unfortunately it appears it does...
Do they really respond to DOT complaints that quick? Do they even receive notification so quick? It was just over 48 hours after I filed the DOT, and only about 4 hours after DOT responded to me. Same with the credit card dispute...
Old Jul 30, 2015, 5:11 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
They offered 3,000 Shekels on a debit card ($795), or a e-certificate worth a nice amount more, or 30,000 miles. For my valued time spent on this case and the 2 hour delay on the make up flight they let me keep the first $175 certificate and the 5,000 miles they had subsequently put into my account to try to placate me. I thought that was a nice gesture. (Though all the extra combined covers what they should have compensated me for canceled flight #1 in February)

In this case I only had small expenditures. I was re booked on the next flight (had to request, it wasn't auto) which was scheduled about 13 hours later. However, I couldn't make the connections to LAX, so I had to push off for a week. That extra trip to airport for LAX flight and parking probably cost about $50. More important to me was the extreme pressure I had to deal with to fit that trip in within a very hectic work/flight schedule

Do they really respond to DOT complaints that quick? Do they even receive notification so quick? It was just over 48 hours after I filed the DOT, and only about 4 hours after DOT responded to me. Same with the credit card dispute...
I find it hard to believe that in 48 hours, someone at DOT actually looked at the complaint, reviewed it, determined that it related to UA as opposed to some other carrier, forwarded it to UA where someone received it, opened it, reviewed it, pulled up the PNR details, reviewed those, made a determination and notified you.

But, the bottom line here is that what Kacee says is true. It is an entirely viable business model to say no until you are forced to say yes. It is all based on canned emails and low-level employees and few people know that they can pursue a claim or can be bothered to pursue a claim if they know about it.

Studies of EC 261/2004 (not directly relevant to Israel, but nonetheless a good insight into human nature) suggest that less than 2% of valid claims are even made.

With those numbers, it is a heck of a lot easier to say no, no and then yes as I would hazard that the 2% drops radically with every "no".
Old Jul 30, 2015, 5:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
I find it hard to believe that in 48 hours, someone at DOT actually looked at the complaint, reviewed it, determined that it related to UA as opposed to some other carrier, forwarded it to UA where someone received it, opened it, reviewed it, pulled up the PNR details, reviewed those, made a determination and notified you.

But, the bottom line here is that what Kacee says is true. It is an entirely viable business model to say no until you are forced to say yes. It is all based on canned emails and low-level employees and few people know that they can pursue a claim or can be bothered to pursue a claim if they know about it.

Studies of EC 261/2004 (not directly relevant to Israel, but nonetheless a good insight into human nature) suggest that less than 2% of valid claims are even made.

With those numbers, it is a heck of a lot easier to say no, no and then yes as I would hazard that the 2% drops radically with every "no".
I agree with you 100%. All of this (and more) goes in to the calculations if it's worth it to send/redirect another 777 (which sometimes they do). If they figured %75 of passengers would file for the comp, they probably would have found a way to get a plane there!
Old Jul 30, 2015, 8:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Do they really respond to DOT complaints that quick?
Yes. Not always, but there are plenty of reports in this forum of startlingly quick responses to a DOT complaint.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 12:27 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
I don't know specifically (other than reports here, and my personal experience) with the notification process, but I know from other agencies (NHTSA, CPSC) that (1) as soon as the complaint is logged it is sent over, and (2) the company (here UA) designates someone to receive them.

UA probably knew before DOT wrote you back about the complaint (if its automated like with NHTSA) but they certainly would have gotten it when DOT wrote you back. Since it goes to someone at UA whose job is to issue spot, I am not surprised they got back quickly, as they have to then report back to DOT and how quickly they respond is part of what they have to tell DOT.

I think Kacee is correct, its the insurance model, saying no is cheap/easy, and 99% of people drop it. But when called (as e.g. in insurance with bad faith) on it, they usually roll over.

No way a credit card dispute got this type of quick response, and I think this is further confirmation that the ONLY "savvy" way to deal with UAL is to file a DOT complaint.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.