Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dreamliner at Beijing

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2015, 10:55 pm
Original Poster

Dreamliner at Beijing

Saw a Dreamliner at T2 around gate 24 on Sunday around noon when deboarding via shuttle.

What is a 78? doing at PEK?
Old Jul 20, 2015, 6:06 am

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
could be wifi mod.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 6:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

FlightAware doesn't show any of the 787 fleet in PEK nor idle long enough for it to be a maintenance trip.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 7:59 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, SQ PPS, CX Silver, Accor Platinum, Marriott Gold, SPG Silver
Originally Posted by sbm12
FlightAware doesn't show any of the 787 fleet in PEK nor idle long enough for it to be a maintenance trip.
Could it be not yet in official service? It would be odd still, but perhaps they are doing a mod prior to putting into service?
Old Jul 20, 2015, 10:24 am

Programs: 3.2MM AA, 1.4MM UA,StwdLftPlt
Anytime I read about UA aircraft unexpectedly in Beijing, I think AMECO-the huge Chinese/German maintenance base there. The two firms have a near 20 year history. As a previous poster observed, they may be installing Ku band satellite internet services in the plane before it enters routine service.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 12:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
United flies out of T3, so highly unlikely it's part of passenger service (even IRROPS).
Old Jul 20, 2015, 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by luckypierre
Anytime I read about UA aircraft unexpectedly in Beijing, I think AMECO-the huge Chinese/German maintenance base there. The two firms have a near 20 year history. As a previous poster observed, they may be installing Ku band satellite internet services in the plane before it enters routine service.
The new 787s are getting WiFi installed line-fit on the factory floor at Boeing. The 788s without the service will be retrofit eventually but were it one of them then I'd think that the ferry flight would show on FlightAware or at least it would show a lack of other activity. Neither is the case.

Also, I don't think any of the other wifi installs have happened there so that would be an interesting move.

JAL, China Southern and Xiamen all had 787s on the ground there around that time. It would be an unlikely bit of confusion to see one of those tails as the UA logo, but they were there.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 2:45 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by sbm12
I'd think that the ferry flight would show on FlightAware or at least it would show a lack of other activity. Neither is the case.
OK, so I'm not going crazy! I checked all the UA 788 tail numbers and saw no gaps, or flights to PEK but thought to my self "Don't post anything, plane and fleet tracking is not your forte...you'll get eaten alive"
Old Jul 20, 2015, 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by Madone59
OK, so I'm not going crazy!
Well, I'm not willing to testify to that yet.

Old Jul 20, 2015, 7:07 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Wifi Mod already? The dreamliner already has enough issues to where we don't need to create more........
Old Jul 22, 2015, 3:29 am
Original Poster

I was pointing out an A380 to my SO who wasn't as impressed when I saw the UA Dreamliner livery but she and my mother inlaw were not interesteted in investingating. I checked flight aware before posting and found no UA 788 or 789 visiting PEK. At first I thought I might be cruising by T3 because of all the fat planes I was seeing but it was T2. Still UA has no scheduled 78x out of PEK.
Old Jul 22, 2015, 7:40 am

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver, Hertz 5*
Did you check for Boeing 787 flights? May be one of the upcoming UA birds that is there for some sort of pre-delivery work...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.