Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Gold Status using GPU (from GS) to upgrade. Relevant bin is PN or RN? (Answer: PN)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gold Status using GPU (from GS) to upgrade. Relevant bin is PN or RN? (Answer: PN)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2015, 8:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: CO Gold

I am sure this has been answered somewhere. I tried to search but many irrelevant posts showed up. I am gold status and planning to use my husband's GPU to upgrade (He is Global Service) with a W-class ticket.

Before making purchase the seat, I use the expert mode to check fare class.
It shows PN7 R0 RN0. Would the relevant fare class for me being PN (since I am using his GPU) or RN (my own status)?

Sorry for the repeated post if it is. Thanks!
Old Jun 25, 2015, 8:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
GS GPU books into PN, though you may have to call.

RN is irrelevant, 1K GPUs book into R.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 8:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kacee
GS GPU books into PN, though you may have to call.

RN is irrelevant, 1K GPUs book into R.

I just want to report back that it seems to be incorrect.

We applied the GPU. Fare class shows PN8 RN0. But I am wait-listed.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 8:38 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by needHelp
I just want to report back that it seems to be incorrect.

We applied the GPU. Fare class shows PN8 RN0. But I am wait-listed.
That is very surprising. Either a very recent change or an IT/agent error.

My comment is based on both personal experience and multiple reports in this forum about GS instruments booking into PN, even after April 15.

Did you apply on-line or call it in?
Old Jun 29, 2015, 9:28 pm

Programs: United GS 1.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold
it should clear in PN. Have your husband call it in for you.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 11:44 pm

Programs: UA GS 5 MM, Delta 1.6MM & Hilton Diamond, Avis Chairman, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by maxinkuckee04
it should clear in PN. Have your husband call it in for you.
+1, if the RPU/GPU comes from a GS account it will clear into PN not R. Have the GS call GS reservations and they can push it thru is there is PN available and you are waitlisted.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 6:12 am

Programs: UA Aluminum 0.6MM, Bonvoy Life Sentence, Hyatt Eliteist, AA Super Plutonium
I wonder if this has anything to do with inherited status going away? Seems like the booking class should be irrelevant to that but who knows.

Would the system prevent a GS/1K/PP from booking an award in IN or ON for someone not traveling with them?
Old Jun 30, 2015, 7:02 am

Programs: UA 1KMM

My comment is based on both personal experience and multiple reports in this forum about GS instruments booking into PN, even after April 15.

No, I believe this is consistent with the change to remove the status of the giver and use the status of the givee for all upgrades.

Whether or not they have fixed the IT to do this properly, I can't say. But it's not an error, according to the intent of the new rules as I read it.

If anything, GS instruments clearing into PN for non-GS users is the error/bug.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 7:21 am
Original Poster

I applied on-line. Will see what we can do and report back.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 8:07 am

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Originally Posted by ryman554
No, I believe this is consistent with the change to remove the status of the giver and use the status of the givee for all upgrades.

Whether or not they have fixed the IT to do this properly, I can't say. But it's not an error, according to the intent of the new rules as I read it.

If anything, GS instruments clearing into PN for non-GS users is the error/bug.
I think you may be right. I had a 1K friend who used to throw unused GPUs at me once in a while, and he mentioned he had a similar friend who was GS who'd do the same for him. They tried it once on a flight where my 1K friend normally would've been waitlisted -- but instead of clearing immediately, my friend was waitlisted as usual.

It would appear that the P/PN upgrade bucket is for the GS member's exclusive use.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 8:12 am
Suspended

Programs: United GS+
Has anyone tried the reverse? Does a 1K GPU applied to a GS clear into PN?
Old Jun 30, 2015, 8:41 am

Originally Posted by ryman554
It would be theoretically consistent, but it's not how UA has handled. GS instruments continuing to clear into PN has been repeatedly confirmed post April 15 (including by me in late May).

Originally Posted by needHelp
I applied on-line.
I advised you in initial response you might have to call this in.

Last edited by Kacee; Jun 30, 2015 at 9:09 am
Old Jun 30, 2015, 8:43 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
When using em for friends, I look for PN using Expert Mode, and it works. This includes recent experiences.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 8:55 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
When using em for friends, I look for PN using Expert Mode, and it works. This includes recent experiences.
+1 - last week my upgrades for a friend cleared into PN - I haven't seen any change post April at all...
Old Jun 30, 2015, 9:20 am

Programs: UA - 1K, Marriott - Gold, Hilton - Gold, Global Entry,
I had a friend apply 2 GPUs for me post-April 15 and I didn't know he was GS until my reservation showed PN. I cleared immediately but there was also R available at the time too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.