Search

Frustrated with United. Any suggestion?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2015, 7:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: United Mileage Plus (Gold), Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
Frustrated with United. Any suggestion?

Hi all,

I'm flying around 50k/year and have been a United member for the last three years.

However, with the 2015 program and that they just refused Priority Pass access to all United lounges (http://www.businesstraveller.com/new...-lounge-access) I see little benefit from staying loyal to United.

Now, I'm on the lookout for a new program. Though, I have a hard time finding the right partner. My travel looks like this:

1) Many flights within the USA. No specific routes, some flights from NY to SFO, ORD to DEN, etc.

2) Around 6-8 flights to Europe a year. Specifically to Germany.

3) Around 2-3 flights to Vietnam a year (This is new for 2015 onwards).

Any good advice? Would switching to OneWorld or SkyMiles help?

I'm also willing to get a Amex Platinum Card for lounge access, I mean almost everything is better than United lounges

Thanks.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 9:09 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist (2020:Exp), United Gold
Originally Posted by TheNitai
However, with the 2015 program and that they just refused Priority Pass access to all United lounges
UC have recently been way too crowded, getting rid of some non-UA customers by refusing PP is actually a positive for UA customers. But yes, the offerings are disappointing compared to other clubs.

Also, what is your home airport? This would make it easier to answer your other questions.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 9:39 am
Original Poster

Maybe I should have written my access to lounges differently. Point is that United only allows access to lounges for international flights within the US, except you are flying business.

I just flew back from SFO and wasn't granted access to the lounge, despite flying Business/First Class because I was flying into EWR and not into JFK!

So, while I agree that the lounges were full, I don't agree and won't support stupid guidelines with "when you fly there, you can do this, but if you fly here, you cannot do that...". Plus I've been paying $699/year for PP.

My new home airport will be Denver now. From here I will be flying within the US, Europe and to Asia.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 9:41 am

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Hi all,

I'm flying around 50k/year and have been a United member for the last three years.

However, with the 2015 program and that they just refused Priority Pass access to all United lounges (http://www.businesstraveller.com/new...-lounge-access) I see little benefit from staying loyal to United.

Now, I'm on the lookout for a new program. Though, I have a hard time finding the right partner. My travel looks like this:

1) Many flights within the USA. No specific routes, some flights from NY to SFO, ORD to DEN, etc.

2) Around 6-8 flights to Europe a year. Specifically to Germany.

3) Around 2-3 flights to Vietnam a year (This is new for 2015 onwards).

Any good advice? Would switching to OneWorld or SkyMiles help?

I'm also willing to get a Amex Platinum Card for lounge access, I mean almost everything is better than United lounges

Thanks.
That sounds like a lot more than 50,000 miles per year!
Old Jun 15, 2015, 9:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Maybe I should have written my access to lounges differently. Point is that United only allows access to lounges for international flights within the US, except you are flying business.

I just flew back from SFO and wasn't granted access to the lounge, despite flying Business/First Class because I was flying into EWR and not into JFK!
Same rule on DL and AA. If that's your main beef, you're not going to find relief at either of the other legacies.

If domestic lounge access were that important to me, I'd just buy a membership or get the Club card.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 9:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by physioprof
That sounds like a lot more than 50,000 miles per year!
Yes it's more 50k is the minimum.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
...My new home airport will be Denver now. From here I will be flying within the US, Europe and to Asia.
If I lived in Dallas, my airline would be AA.
If I lived in Atlanta. my airline would be Delta.
If I lived in Denver, my airline would be United.

If one lives in a city where an airline clearly dominates the airport, using another so you can use an AMEX card for lounge access seems to indicate your priority is lounge access, not ease of travel.

If I lived in Denver (and flew internationally), I would fly United because it has the scheduling and most non-stops out of Denver. I wouldn't choose another airline because it has better food or lounge access with a credit card or whatever.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 10:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kacee
Same rule on DL and AA. If that's your main beef, you're not going to find relief at either of the other legacies.

If domestic lounge access were that important to me, I'd just buy a membership or get the Club card.
I didn't know all lounges only allow access when you fly business/first or international.

Yes, access to lounges is kind off important as sometimes one has a layover for a couple of hours. Just recently, a whole flight was cancelled, and going back to the lounge to rebook was an easy process, where as around 150 customers stood in the "normal" customer service lane...

But before getting a United Club Card (I already have a Mileage Explorer card) I was looking for some advise on the best Frequent Flyer Program and yes lounge access.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 10:07 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
You have to decide what is important to you. For all the issues you have raised, you have not mentioned price. While it varies, if you care about cost, you should do some research as to some averages.

As to lounges for domestic, you won't get it freebie on AA or DL either. Sure it's provided on SFO-JFK, but look at the premium prices for the premium service. There's no free lunch.

If you are spending $699 for PP, you can certainly purchase a UC membership for $550 or get a Chase card for $395 (maybe that will go up too) which includes membership. On the other hand, with the domestic routes you will fly xDEN, there may be no reason to use a Club at all if you fly to the destinations listed. International, you will of course have Club access, if not GFL if in a premium cabin.

The larger issue you face is that DEN is a UA hub. It's not that for either DL or AA. Thus, fewer frequencies and the like. Only you know what your time is worth.

The grass is not always greener.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 10:41 am
Original Poster

Thank you for your answer.

True, I've checked Denver some more and it looks like I'm "stuck"with United. It also looks like I have better connections to Europe with United or its partner airlines. Flying into Hamburg, Berlin or many European cities is non-stop or with a short layover in EWR.

Additionally, I just received an offer from Chase to get the Club Card for free for the first year. I guess that solves my issue.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 11:22 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by Often1
As to lounges for domestic, you won't get it freebie on AA or DL either. Sure it's provided on SFO-JFK, but look at the premium prices for the premium service. There's no free lunch.
Delta diamond members get free basic SkyClub membership (read: no free guests). They can also trade in one of the bonus selections (e.g., 4 Global Upgrades) to upgrade the membership.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 11:28 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP says that he flies approx. 50K miles/year. Not likely to make Diamond on that travel.

Both UA and AA provide breaks to their GS and EXP's as well. But, that's not OP's situation.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
I didn't know all lounges only allow access when you fly business/first or international.

Yes, access to lounges is kind off important as sometimes one has a layover for a couple of hours. Just recently, a whole flight was cancelled, and going back to the lounge to rebook was an easy process, where as around 150 customers stood in the "normal" customer service lane...
Lounge access rules are fairly clear...the problem here is that you assumed you would get access on all flights. That hasn't changed for a long time...don't know if domestic access was ever given free on US-based carriers, but if it was, it was before my time of traveling more than a bit so it's a long time ago. The fact is the U.S. is different than much of the rest of the world air travel markets - it's domestic route network is just too large, with too many customers spread over multiple hubs, to allow access for domestic flyers for free. You think the lounges are crowded now, imagine if all UA elites had access to the lounge for every flight. The amount of lounge space needed would practically put the airlines out of business.

On that note, IMO, lounge access isn't worth the price for a membership. The new food spreads are definitely an improvement, and don't get me wrong, it's usually nicer than waiting elsewhere in the terminal, but not worth the $500+ price/year for it.

As to rebooking - I've found the best way (as someone without lounge access much of the time) is to stand on the CS line and call the Premier desk at the same time. It's rare that I move more than a few feet in a long line by the time I've had an agent rebook over the phone - and have done it even with bags checked. I don't think I've ever had problems re-booking over the phone, even after being checked in, etc. Then I can just collect a BP from a kiosk, at the new gate or with the app.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 11:33 am

IIRC, DEN does not have a DL Skyclub. I would try for Star Alliance gold on another airline which would allow you access to the United Clubs only if it shows Star Alliance at the United Club's entrance.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 11:43 am

Programs: AA LT PLT (3.6+ MM), UA 1K LT Gold, Hilton LT Diamond, Bonvoy Gold.

So, while I agree that the lounges were full, I don't agree and won't support stupid guidelines with "when you fly there, you can do this, but if you fly here, you cannot do that...". Plus I've been paying $699/year for PP.

My new home airport will be Denver now. From here I will be flying within the US, Europe and to Asia.
$699 for PP? Hmm last 3 years I paid $313 for the Prestige level. If you paid $699 then you paid $300 per year too much. The printed rack rate here is $399 and there are discounts available if you search.

I recently got the UA club card due to the massive devaluation of PP.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.