Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

3419 IAD-CMH rejected takeoff May 22, 2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

3419 IAD-CMH rejected takeoff May 22, 2015

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2015, 11:54 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
My rejected take off experiencehttp://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...rol-issue.html

There is some good info from some pilots in that thread.
Old May 24, 2015, 8:25 am

On all United airplanes, and I'm not familiar with UEX planes, we normally arm the autobrake system for all takeoffs. Airplanes vary, but most will autobrake at and above about 80 knots or 92 MPH, if the engine reversers are activated or the speed brake handle is manually pulled.

When a rejected takeoff (abort) happens in the autobrake range, the braking is instantaneous and at maximum brake force. It normally requires a brake inspection, and depending on the speed, weight, runway slope, ambient temperature, etc, it will often take the plane out of service.

On a low-speed reject where the auto brakes don't kick in, the captain can just use reverse thrust and minimum braking if on a long runway, and the consequences are minimal. Captains are responsible for all reject decisions and actual rejects, no matter who the designated pilot flying the leg is.

If a reject is made because of a takeoff configuration warning (and there are many things that cause that) it is normally very early in the takeoff roll, like as soon as the thrust levers (aka throttles) are advanced, and it's a pretty tame reject.

Usually, it's a matter of correcting the configuration issue, making sure we still have the required fuel, and be on our way.

I've had several rejects, mostly from a sensor in the takeoff config system sensing something that wasn't actually a problem. Back in my 737 days, I had a few where the trim setting was correct but the trim position sensor was misreading the trim wheel. The most memorable was when a cockpit window slid open on the takeoff roll. All very tame.

FAB
Old May 24, 2015, 8:34 am

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
I am aware of all these facts intellectually and know there's nothing dangerous about an aborted landing or takeoff per se. But it's still scary!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.