Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Any thoughts about United-Chase renewal coming up?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2015, 3:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CHASE UNITED CLUB; CITI PRESTIGE; IHG SPIRE AMBASSADOR; RITZ-CARLTON GOLD; Global Entry
Any thoughts about United-Chase contract renewal coming up?

Today, View from wing had a very interesting article about soon-to-come United-Chase contract renewal.

Many things can change, chase might have to pay a higher price thus cut down the card benefits. Or Some other banks pay even higher price and issue some new exciting cards? I have a Chase club card. It might be a good idea for me to hold this card through the renewal process and see what happens.

wHat do you guys think?

http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea....equent-flyers/

Last edited by ylord789; May 13, 2015 at 3:16 pm
Old May 12, 2015, 3:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Does anyone know when the Chase deal with United is up? Though I've complained plenty, I do like my Presidential Plus Card!
Old May 12, 2015, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Micp3208
Does anyone know when the Chase deal with United is up? Though I've complained plenty, I do like my Presidential Plus Card!
And I'm clinging desperately to my grandfathered UA Signature/Platinum (I think that's what it was called) card - the one with the 2X miles on UA purchases, 1X everything else and the 5,000 mile PQM bonus when you charge 35K during a year.
Old May 12, 2015, 4:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Sure hope there's no change, PP helps me out quite a bit. I would also imagine that getting UR points (of which I have a decent amount) would be harder to transfer over.
Old May 12, 2015, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold

I don't want a change either. I love my legacy Select card and benefits (3x mileage on UA purchases, 2x on *A, grocery, gas, home improvement, up to 5000 PQM/year on UA.com purchases). I wish there were some other things included (no forex fee, trip cancelation/interruption, CPU on award tix), but still much better for me as an elite than explorer, where I get most of the benefits already. In fact, the only thing that might convince me its worth it is the PQD waiver, but honestly, I'm not even sure I will need that since many of my trips are to Canada where fares are quite high.

They could always go the Aeroplan way as well, which isn't exclusive. The current issuers are Amex and TD. On the TD side, they replaced CIBC a few months back (beginning of the year?) - all new apps go to TD, and IIRC, existing cardholders who had other CIBC products kept their existing cards, while those without another CIBC relationship got transitioned to TD.
Old May 12, 2015, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
I'd like to see someone new get the deal so I can get another signup bonus.</true flyertalker>
Old May 12, 2015, 5:08 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
They should make club membership optional. It's not fair for those that already have club membership......... I rather they lower the AF for non-club membership yet keeping the same rewards @ 1.5X on the CC.
Old May 12, 2015, 5:10 pm

Someone I know has the...

Originally Posted by milepig
And I'm clinging desperately to my grandfathered UA Signature/Platinum (I think that's what it was called) card - the one with the 2X miles on UA purchases, 1X everything else and the 5,000 mile PQM bonus when you charge 35K during a year.
Mileage Plus Select which gives 3X on UA purchases and no 35K spent to get the 5K PQM, for a yearly fee of $95.
Old May 12, 2015, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
I don't want a change either. I love my legacy Select card and benefits (3x mileage on UA purchases, 2x on *A, grocery, gas, home improvement, up to 5000 PQM/year on UA.com purchases). I wish there were some other things included (no forex fee, trip cancelation/interruption, CPU on award tix), but still much better for me as an elite than explorer, where I get most of the benefits already. In fact, the only thing that might convince me its worth it is the PQD waiver, but honestly, I'm not even sure I will need that since many of my trips are to Canada where fares are quite high.
I do wonder how they would handle it, however, Chase seems to have quite a deep-seeded relationship with United (then again, so did AX/costco).

AX and DL did renew, as did Citi+AA, so as for now it doesn't look like there's going to be a massive change in ecosystem for the majors. Aside from Wells Fargo, which doesn't have a huge CC servicing presence, there aren't any other huge US banks.

I would imagine that United would be able to get better terms from Chase this time around, given that they don't need the lifeline of support by pre-buying miles.

As for myself, I do have the Select card, which I use for UA purchases (3x) and the other bonus categories, and it gives the 5k anniversary RDM which makes up for a lot of the annual fee.

I would hope that whatever they come up for in the next deal offers less in freebies for the masses, in particular the club passes, which seem to be problematic. They would do better to offer 2 vouchers for $19.99 entries for up to 2 pax each, that would eliminate the freeloader/counterfeiting issue.
Old May 12, 2015, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
They should make club membership optional. It's not fair for those that already have club membership......... I rather they lower the AF for non-club membership yet keeping the same rewards @ 1.5X on the CC.
I agree, the # of times that I'm not flying int'l as *G that I wouldn't have access anyways is quite small.

They could simply restore the Select card and make the base earnings 1.5X, and make the AF in the $200 range.
Old May 12, 2015, 5:57 pm

Programs: UA Plat, AS MVP, HH Gold, MR Gold
It's also giving you a PQM for each dollar spent on United.com (up to $5000/year) and 2X RDM for grocery, gas stations, restaurants and home improvement. Given my spending patterns, I end up at ~1.75 mile per dollar spent, and 10K PQM/year.

Especially with revenue-based RDMs, this card is a significant component of my remaining loyalty to UA.
Old May 12, 2015, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
I have the original Platinum (I think yours is the Select that came after) - 2x on UA/*A, gas, dining, groceries, home improvement stores; 1x on everything else. 5K PQM for spending $35K and up to $5K PQM for every dollar spent on UAL.com. Unbeatable card.

Losing this one might actually kick me over to AA for good.

Originally Posted by PVDProf
It's also giving you a PQM for each dollar spent on United.com (up to $5000/year) and 2X RDM for grocery, gas stations, restaurants and home improvement. Given my spending patterns, I end up at ~1.75 mile per dollar spent, and 10K PQM/year.

Especially with revenue-based RDMs, this card is a significant component of my remaining loyalty to UA.
Great minds think alike I drop my $35K on this card, done by April or May each year, and then shelve it the rest of the year save for gas and home improvement purchases (can't get those 2x with most other cards).
Old May 12, 2015, 6:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond
I would hope they stay with Chase. In my eyes they are the best bank. There is literally a Chase on damn near every block in Manhattan, they have the best app, Quickpay is 100% free and so much better than using paypal. No complaints on my part. Heres to hoping they dont goto Wells Fargo or the putrid Bank of America...
Old May 12, 2015, 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Unbeatable card.
Don't forget the $60 annual fee credit for 1K's.

I have the Select, and like you say, this is a grandfathered card that I don't want to lose.
Old May 12, 2015, 6:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
I have the original Platinum (I think yours is the Select that came after) - 2x on UA/*A, gas, dining, groceries, home improvement stores; 1x on everything else. 5K PQM for spending $35K and up to $5K PQM for every dollar spent on UAL.com. Unbeatable card.

Losing this one might actually kick me over to AA for good.

Great minds think alike I drop my $35K on this card, done by April or May each year, and then shelve it the rest of the year save for gas and home improvement purchases (can't get those 2x with most other cards).
Yes that's it. I was really scared when some complex fraud issue made them completely redo the account (not just a new number) but they continued the old deal. Best card ever. There have been many years where this card kept my status for me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.