Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Take on the UA/Co merger

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2015, 2:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50 UA1k 2MM AA EXP Royal Ambassador SPG Platinum
united just destroyed the mileage plus program.
Old May 10, 2015, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by halls120
No, all I said was that DL's 747s aren't making a profit for that airline - the 767, 330 and the 777 are on long haul flights. And given the fact that the majority of the airlines are avoiding the 380/748 and buying the 777/350, this suggests that 2 engines make more profit than 4 engines for most airlines - UA included.

I'd love to see UA buy the 748, as I really like the UD ride. But isn't going to happen, because the 777 and 350 are cheaper to operate.
OK that makes more sense (and wasn't what you typed the first time).

I totally agree that the choice of airplanes is different for each carrier and their flight profiles. There are plenty of airlines buying the A380 and it seems to be a good fit for their inventory.

Agree, UA is not going to be one of them.
Old May 11, 2015, 12:20 am

I feel like if there were an easy way to summarize the current state of the merger, here are the current company issued parking placards (each no more than a few months old) for the two hangars at LAX. Still so divided.

Old May 11, 2015, 5:50 pm

Programs: Million Miles achieved | 2017 Delta Platinum, United NADA, Global Entry, PreCheck, NEXUS
Originally Posted by channa
Delta Today will show you the upgrade list for your flights. You can always view your record to see the seatmap and change seats.
Thanks channa. I didn't know that and will use that. There is a difference though. As far as I can tell the Delta app will only do that if you have a ticket on a specific flight. And the UA app will allow you to see seat map, upgrade lists, etc by looking at the flight status of any United flight (from two days in the past to two days in the future).

I suppose this might be possible in the Delta app by trying to book a flight, but that, even if possible would be clunky and time intensive vs. the UA app.

Thanks again.
Old May 11, 2015, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by Bear4Asian
Thanks channa. I didn't know that and will use that. There is a difference though. As far as I can tell the Delta app will only do that if you have a ticket on a specific flight. And the UA app will allow you to see seat map, upgrade lists, etc by looking at the flight status of any United flight (from two days in the past to two days in the future).

I suppose this might be possible in the Delta app by trying to book a flight, but that, even if possible would be clunky and time intensive vs. the UA app.

Thanks again.

Yes, it's a different approach for sure. You have to be on the flight to get the extra details with the DL approach.

I find the UA approach is better for speculation (e.g., what's it look like if I switch to this other flight), while the DL approach makes it easier to find stuff all in one spot when I'm traveling -- I go to Delta Today and can see everything I need in one place (connecting gates, bag info, upgrade list, etc.).
Old May 11, 2015, 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by channa
I find the UA approach is better for speculation (e.g., what's it look like if I switch to this other flight),
Same Day Changed myself on to the most open flight that fit my schedule a few days ago, and got the upgrade.

I like being able to check out how all the other possible flights look when I have the flexibility or need to SDC.
Old May 13, 2015, 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by Austin787
They also need to change the livery. It is a clear representation of clinging to the past and the divide between pmUA and pmCO.
CO's final years were always at the top of the JD Power airline rankings while UA was and still is 2nd to the bottom. Keeping the CO logo is in an insult to a formerly positive image. Bring back the bottom-dwelling tulip.
Old May 13, 2015, 3:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Silver. Former AA gold. UA MP and DL Plat AMEX cardholder
I've always been weary of CO influence since they ran a lousy operation at EWR for many years. Lot's of delays, surly staff, lines, bad customer service ETC. So when they basically took over UA I thought maybe they would have taken things from both sides but they went gangbusters on keeping it COdbaUA.

But the moves they have made that really made me leave:
1. Retiring 757s instead of ERJ.
2. Not installing AVOD. The streaming thing isn't an alternative.
3. On-time rates in the toilet (very Continental of them.)
4. Too many 737s on transcons.
5. Slimline seats (every one hates them.)

The only saving grace is the widebody fleet and PS services. They had an opportunity to be the best and they blew it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.