Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

"Mixed Cabin / Class Award" tickets -- discussion, Q&A, ... [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2013, 1:15 pm
Original Poster

I'm trying to book a trip for my parents in April and was able to book one of them on their desired Air Canada flight via United Saver award in BusinessFirst. However, for the second ticket I can only book a mixed cabin ticket.

Leg 1 (short leg) FC
Leg 2(long leg) economy. There are still plenty of FC seats just not released for award yet

Is it the experience here that it's better to wait until both legs are available to book this or should I grab the mixed cabin now and then change it when another seat is released for the second leg? Will United charge a fee for this change?
Old Jan 2, 2013, 1:16 pm

If you book mixed cabin, you'll be waitlisted for the upgrade automatically, so no charge to upgrade when it's open
Old Jan 2, 2013, 1:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by juniorsu
If you book mixed cabin, you'll be waitlisted for the upgrade automatically, so no charge to upgrade when it's open
Thanks! Even if it's a partner flight? The flight is on Air Canada. I was under the impression that if it's a partner flight they won't wait list you.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
1. What status are the miles coming from?
2. How far away (timewise) is the flight?
3. Would you accept one in Business, one in Economy?
4. Is the 2nd flight also on AC metal?
5. Are there any UA metal flights that might work?
Old Jan 2, 2013, 1:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aacharya
1. What status are the miles coming from?
No status save for having the MilagePlus Explorer card

2. How far away (timewise) is the flight?
First week of April.

3. Would you accept one in Business, one in Economy?
Only if it's the second leg in Business. Short leg is only 1 hour, second leg 7+ hours and overnight. I'd rather not pay the extra 15,000 miles for business for a 1 hour leg. At that point the saver economy award is preferable.

4. Is the 2nd flight also on AC metal?
Yeah...both legs are on AC.

5. Are there any UA metal flights that might work?
No. This is by far the most preferable routing there is.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 1:28 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1.6 MM
Originally Posted by juniorsu
Is there recent experience with this?

Twice since 3/3, but at this point several months ago, this did not work for me. Sat in Y while on an F award ticket and apparently was never listed for open seats in F.

On the first occasion there were 6 people CPUed.

On the second and agent refused to add me to the list, telling me I had accepted Y when I booked the mixed cabin award.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
With all those factors....wait to book until the 2nd leg is open. Have an ExpertFlyer alert on.

As for automatic upgrades - that does not work with UA awards on partner metal. The person who wrote that didn't actually bother to read and comprehend your initial post.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 1:47 pm

With all those factors....wait to book until the 2nd leg is open. Have an ExpertFlyer alert on.

As for automatic upgrades - that does not work with UA awards on partner metal. The person who wrote that didn't actually bother to read and comprehend your initial post.

Sorry, I missed that it was on AC.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 1:49 pm
Original Poster

Thanks! Yeah that's what I was leaning towards. Only hesitation was missing out on the saver award completely and then having to book the regular award in coach.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 2:04 pm
Original Poster

On a side note, I didn't realize that my United Visa allows me to see more award options.

The return flight I booked for them only shows up in searched when I'm logged in (with saver availability too).
Old Mar 6, 2013, 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by cdrwf150
On a side note, I didn't realize that my United Visa allows me to see more award options.

The return flight I booked for them only shows up in searched when I'm logged in (with saver availability too).
I realize I'm a couple of months late to this thread, but thanks for the above tip! I had no idea about that either, and reading your message saved the day, allowing me to book an otherwise unattainable trip.
Old Mar 6, 2013, 7:34 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Plat,
Ease of changing awards?

A while back I booked JFK-FRA-BKK as a First saver award for 70k. I'm in O on TG from FRA-BKK but sitting in I on LH JFK-FRA because saver first was not available. Supposing I set an alert on Expert Flyer, could I call UA and have them ticket me to O if space opens up on the LH segment?

Additionally on a separate PNR, I have saver first FRA-EWR on UA. If I set an alert for saver first on LH, could I call and switch? Don't get me wrong I'm happy to me in UA Global First, but would much rather try out LH First and their nice terminal at FRA
Old Mar 6, 2013, 7:40 pm

Programs: BA Gold, UA Nobody, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Blootch
A while back I booked JFK-FRA-BKK as a First saver award for 70k. I'm in O on TG from FRA-BKK but sitting in I on LH JFK-FRA because saver first was not available. Supposing I set an alert on Expert Flyer, could I call UA and have them ticket me to O if space opens up on the LH segment?

Additionally on a separate PNR, I have saver first FRA-EWR on UA. If I set an alert for saver first on LH, could I call and switch? Don't get me wrong I'm happy to me in UA Global First, but would much rather try out LH First and their nice terminal at FRA
Presuming you are 1k as it says in your profile, then yes you have no change fees for award tickets as detailed at https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...ticketing.aspx. Be careful that the agent doesn't do anything that breaks the segments you want to keep and check your itinerary online before you hang up.
Old Mar 22, 2013, 1:44 pm

Programs: UA MP, DL SkyMiles
Mixed Cabin Award - same number of miles??

I was looking for award availability on UA site (IAD-BOM) for later this summer - it shows saver award availability as mixed cabin (Business + Eco) itinerary - but required number of miles are as if the whole trip was in Business cabin...what gives? Do they expect people to bite that and accept?

Also - seems to only show LH and UA and ET flights - is that a sign no other *A partner awards are available? Or just a limitation I need to overcome by calling the MP Service Desk and hope for a good agent to try and find something?

Any help is appreciated.

thanks,
Old Mar 22, 2013, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
This is normal.

The UA site is generally broken for partner award searching, you're best off using the ANA site or similar for searching and calling an agent to book. They generally waive the phone fee when you point out how broken the award booking site is.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.