Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

98k miles in 5 months (but 2 calendar years) still Silver

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

98k miles in 5 months (but 2 calendar years) still Silver

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2015, 6:59 am

Programs: *
Originally Posted by SeaProf
NZ uses the rolling year, not calendar year. You have 12 months from the time you achieve status, not from the start of the calendar year.
ANZ also allows you to carry over "excess" elite qualifying points to the next year and if say you don't need them (assuming you flew say 200,000 PQM in UA language) you could store one years worth (100,000 PQM) to use in future sometime when you don't fly less.

However, I would not attempt to suggest NZ approach is generalizable to the US option. I will be surprised if NZ has anything close to (proportionately) as many elites as UA. If UA adopted a similar system, not only mike-Asia's assistant would be a 1K by now, but droves of others and the tiered elite system won't be workable or make sense.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 7:17 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by LaserSailor
A trip to Asia once a quarter doesn't make you an "important customer"

It's that simple.
A trip to Asia in international paid F or C (which I believe the OP said)? I promise that impacts United's bottom line far better than any domestic Y passenger.

Any paid full fare F passenger should automatically trump almost any other passenger. But United doesn't know how to treat paid F and C customers, which is why so many of us have moved our international business to other carriers.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 10:49 am

Programs: UA AU MM,HH Diamond,Hyatt Globalist , Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by mike_asia
Why would I fly longer routings so my assistant can get status?
To sell more headphones?

Last edited by trm2; Apr 19, 2015 at 12:30 pm Reason: Adding link to ancient thread referenced
Old Apr 19, 2015, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OP, it's only April. Seems like the very next flight (if 1000 PQM) they will be Gold. And if flying that much already and will keep the same pace, have your assistant ask UA for a challenge for 1K.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 11:47 am

Location: IAD, and sometimes OMNI/PR. Currently: not far from IAD, but home will always be SAN (not far from the "touch my junk and I'll have you arrested" Memorial TSA Check Point) even if I'm not there so much these days.
Programs: UA, CO, Calcifer Award for Mad Haiku Skillz
Originally Posted by trm2
To sell more headphones?
EPIC!
Old Apr 19, 2015, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Why care about status when you're flying paid J/F?
Old Apr 19, 2015, 3:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM
I think it's way too confusing to customers to have rolling qualifications. This forum would be filled with threads from people saying exactly the opposite, "I flew 120k PQM last year and 60k PQM so far this year and they just took away my 1K status!" Would you like to be in and out and in and out and in and out all the time, as your rolling last-12-months total goes over and under and over and under the threshold?
Old Apr 19, 2015, 7:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Garten
I think it's way too confusing to customers to have rolling qualifications. This forum would be filled with threads from people saying exactly the opposite, "I flew 120k PQM last year and 60k PQM so far this year and they just took away my 1K status!" Would you like to be in and out and in and out and in and out all the time, as your rolling last-12-months total goes over and under and over and under the threshold?
I don't see much of that confusion in the BA forum...
Old Apr 19, 2015, 7:18 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by mduell
I don't see much of that confusion in the BA forum...
That's because BA doesn't use a rolling eligibility period. They use a fixed eligibility period, just like UA.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 9:28 pm

Programs: UA 1k, SPG Plat 100
Yeah, I don't want to wake up one day in June, head to the airport, and find out I'm actually plat for the next few weeks since I didn't do much travelling last June.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 10:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, SQ PPS, CX Silver, Accor Platinum, Marriott Gold, SPG Silver
Originally Posted by trm2
To sell more headphones?
You, my friend, just won the internet for a day.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 10:02 pm

Programs: NZ Elite (*G)

I don't find it confusing at all. Air NZ's app keeps me well informed of how much I have and how much I need to retain my status before my anniversary date comes up. It tells me how many points my upcoming flights on NZ will earn and there is a calculator to figure out how many points any partner flights earn.

Now admittedly, if UA tried to do such a thing it would probably be a nightmare for all of you.

Last edited by SeaProf; Apr 19, 2015 at 10:11 pm
Old Apr 19, 2015, 10:23 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by SeaProf
I don't find it confusing at all. Air NZ's app keeps me well informed of how much I have and how much I need to retain my status before my anniversary date comes up.
That's completely different from what is being suggested. If NZ and BA use an annual period of anniversary date to anniversary date that's just the same as UA using Jan 1 to Dec 31 as the qualifying period. It has the same advantages and the same problems. It makes no real difference whether the "year" starts on Jan 1 or on your anniversary date.

What was requested above was a "rolling" period where your status is constantly recalculated over the previous 12 months. So your status on April 20, 2015 would depend on your total qualifying activity between April 20, 2014, and April 20, 2015. That's what is not practical.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 10:27 pm

Programs: NZ Elite (*G)
That's completely different from what is being suggested. If NZ and BA use an annual period of anniversary date to anniversary date that's just the same as UA using Jan 1 to Dec 31 as the qualifying period. It has the same advantages and the same problems. It makes no real difference whether the "year" starts on Jan 1 or on your anniversary date.

What was requested above was a "rolling" period where your status is constantly recalculated over the previous 12 months. So your status on April 20, 2015 would depend on your total qualifying activity between April 20, 2014, and April 20, 2015. That's what is not practical.

That's actually similar to how it works with Air New Zealand until you achieve status. It's a constant rolling period until you hit the target.

The day you achieve status becomes your anniversary date. You then have 12 months to earn enough to maintain status before your next anniversary date.

If you lose status it resorts back to the rolling 12-month period.

And, as I mentioned, it was not confusing at all thanks to their app that indicated how much I had and how much I needed before a certain date to get status.

Last edited by SeaProf; Apr 19, 2015 at 10:32 pm Reason: clarity
Old Apr 19, 2015, 10:42 pm
Suspended

OK, I will concede that's pretty complicated! I guess maybe some would like it better but I think most people prefer something simpler.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.