Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Conflicting Information on UA Baggage Allowance for my Trip

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Conflicting Information on UA Baggage Allowance for my Trip

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2015, 9:10 pm
Original Poster

Angry Conflicting Information on UA Baggage Allowance for my Trip

Hi,

I've booked an economy flight on UA from US to Middle east for May, part of the trip is operated by LH. in my initial confirmation email it is stated that I can check 2 bags (50 lbs) free of charge and the eticket receipt also confirms that.

A few days after booking, I called UA to add my mileageplus number to the reservation and the next day, when I went on their website to double check everything I noticed that now they are saying your baggage allowance is ONE piece and second piece will cost you $100. I kept calling them several times about this and nobody appears to understand what I'm saying, very poor customer service... (I wish I never added that number to the reservation)

I called LH, they still say you can have 2 pieces but UA keeps saying we don't care about your initial confirmation or other carriers, now your reservation says one so you can take one.

I am totally confused! Any thoughts? Ideas? Suggestions?

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Apr 4, 2015 at 4:18 am Reason: masked profanity removed
Old Apr 3, 2015, 9:17 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Welcome to FT!, mhdsbh

The addition of your MP account should not have made any difference (if you are not an UA elite).

Originally Posted by mhdsbh
....Any thoughts? Ideas? Suggestions?....
Without knowing the specific destination city hard to determine the correct answer. The LH should make any difference if UA is handling the TATL portion.

Try checking http://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/trav...edBaggage.aspx and see what it reports.

Q: was this an award ticket purchase from an elite's account?
Old Apr 3, 2015, 9:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Welcome to FT!, mhdsbh

The addition of your MP account should not have made any difference

Q: was this an award ticket purchase from an elite's account?
No this is a regular paid ticket and TATL is with UA and LH carries from FRA to IKA. and I am not MP elite or anything.
Indeed I believe this addition made things to mess.
Btw I guess my main question is Why is the confirmation email different from what is on website and which one is valid?
Old Apr 3, 2015, 9:47 pm

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
.... Why is the confirmation email different from what is on website and which one is valid?
what did the provided link say?
Old Apr 3, 2015, 9:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
what did the provided link say?
First one free and second one for $100.
I checked exact same link just after reservation and it used to say 1st and second free. (I still have a print from that page)
This is exactly why I think adding MP changed the game
Old Apr 3, 2015, 10:19 pm

.... I checked exact same link just after reservation and it used to say 1st and second free. (I still have a print from that page)
This is exactly why I think adding MP changed the game
I should have been more specific -- check the "Any flights" tab to test various scenarios -- I think you will find there is no difference between no FF or General member UA FF.
Old Apr 4, 2015, 1:26 am

Programs: AA ExPlat HH Diamond
How I would handle it?

1. Save email that states two bags free.
2. Check in at airport. If agent tries to charge for 2nd bag, show email.
3. If agent is not able to rectify and charges for 2nd bag ask him or her to clarify why you aren't getting what was stated you are getting.
4. If agent is still not able to rectify, don't push it with the agent. They are just doing as told by the comupter.
5. Pay 2nd bag fee.
6. Dispute with UA and then credit card company if needed.
Old Apr 4, 2015, 3:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by Penguinmoon
How I would handle it?

1. Save email that states two bags free.
2. Check in at airport. If agent tries to charge for 2nd bag, show email.
3. If agent is not able to rectify and charges for 2nd bag ask him or her to clarify why you aren't getting what was stated you are getting.
4. If agent is still not able to rectify, don't push it with the agent. They are just doing as told by the comupter.
5. Pay 2nd bag fee.
6. Dispute with UA and then credit card company if needed.
That would be how I would handle it, though I might be tempted to go for a DOT complaint as well...if United doesn't cheerfully refund your money at the first request.
Old Apr 4, 2015, 8:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by goodeats21
That would be how I would handle it, though I might be tempted to go for a DOT complaint as well...if United doesn't cheerfully refund your money at the first request.
That was my last option! thanks anyway
I send them a message on FB and attached my confirmation stating 2 and recent one saying 1. They replied to take my initial confirmation and airport staff should waive the second bag's fee.
Seems to be OK. Thank you all

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.