Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Best J Product for Australia Award to SYD/MEL

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best J Product for Australia Award to SYD/MEL

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2015, 6:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by TrayflowInUK
(4) SQ, forget it, you'll really struggle to find award space using Mileage Plus. If you do, it'll be on one of their planes with angled seats. I use my SQ miles when I want to fly them.
I was surprised recently when I tried to book SQ for SIN-BNE in C. Good availability over several days on multiple flights, and no problems getting the exact flights I wanted.

No idea if this is the same to the US, or even to SYD given the lack of ability to search...

Personally I'd be doing this in UA F. IMHO, the only reason to go via Asia is if there's no UA F available, or if you plan to make use of the stopover to spend some time in Asia. UA F is normally fairly easy to get on miles (easier than C).
Old Mar 30, 2015, 8:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM
I've been looking for US to Aus next Jan or Feb for weeks (either J or F), and nothing has showed up. Is it hopeless for those months, or do I just need to keep looking?
Old Mar 30, 2015, 8:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by demosthenes1
I've been looking for US to Aus next Jan or Feb for weeks (either J or F), and nothing has showed up. Is it hopeless for those months, or do I just need to keep looking?
Direct on UA?
I see some stuff through Asia available for saver.

It's still around Australian summer time so not peak Christmas/Holiday time but pretty close.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 8:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
Direct on UA?

It's still around Australian summer time so not peak Christmas/Holiday time but pretty close.
Yeah, I see the Asia stuff, too, but I'm looking for direct.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 8:46 pm

Programs: UA-GS, Hyatt-Defiantly Diamond, Marriott-Platinum, SPG-Platinum
Originally Posted by TrayflowInUK
(7) UA. As other posters said, for the same miles as other carriers' J you can get UA F which is actually pretty good. I never flew UA F until two years ago, and have flown it four times now on the SYD routes. Every time it's been very good and pleasantly surprising. Good lounge, nice food, big seat (if not the most private), and friendly crew (often a bit quirky, but certainly with personality). But even in J, I have yet to have a terrible crew in 12 crossings, most have been very good, and a couple have been among the best crews I've had on any airline, anywhere (and I'm an SQ PPS member so I have a high benchmark). I also generally find UA to have decent award availability. It's very dynamic, so I typically book something and change it a few times until I get the exact dates that I want.
Second this advice. Really, unless you want to stop in SIN, PEK, ICN (my vote for best World Airport), there's really not much that can beat UA from either SFO or LAX. Lie-flat seat, decent service, and if flying in GF via SFO, pretty good lounge access.

Keep it simple, save the miles, and enjoy Australia.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 10:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Hertz Pres
1) Will have angled lie flats to SYD. Not sure what is ex SEA but getting to LAX will get the A380 with QS.
I had Smartium lie flat on ICN-SYD a few weeks ago...
Old Mar 30, 2015, 11:03 pm

Originally Posted by pinerd
From what I gathered from the OZ board is that must be a rarity as OZ is "uncompetitive" on the route to SYD with it's angled seats most days.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by pinerd
From what I gathered from the OZ board is that must be a rarity as OZ is "uncompetitive" on the route to SYD with it's angled seats most days.
Just posted this over on the OZ board but AusBT is reporting that OZ is moving the SYD flight to fully flat first 2 days a week and eventually 6 days a week.

For my own SYD award planning this instantly changes the calculus. Given the uncertainty around TG and the future of F especially to SYD (given that I'm planning 11 months ahead) OZ may now be the top J choice to SYD since you can go A380 J/F from LAX or JFK with pretty good availability in both and then connect to / from OZ lie flat to / from SYD
Old Apr 1, 2015, 4:44 pm

Well that certainly is good news! Will it just be their 2 class 777 with the QS or are they going to rotate in any of the 3 class?
Old Apr 1, 2015, 5:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by flyerdude88
Just posted this over on the OZ board but AusBT is reporting that OZ is moving the SYD flight to fully flat first 2 days a week and eventually 6 days a week.
That's huge. OZ has consistently had best award availability from US to Australia in J for some time now.

Well that certainly is good news! Will it just be their 2 class 777 with the QS or are they going to rotate in any of the 3 class?
Must be aircraft freed up by the new 380s on ICN-JFK. Good question whether they'll just swap in the three-class or rotate from another route.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 5:40 pm

Programs: UA Gold, *A Gold, HH Dia, Hertz #1 5*
In March 14, I did a J award, EWR-NRT on UA, connecting to AKL on NZ (unfortunately at the time in a 763 with barcoloungers, may be 788 or 772 with VS-style J seats now), with a stopover in AKL. Then after a week, J on NZ to MEL in a 773, connecting to SYD on UA (which I think has been overcome by the nonstop 788 to MEL) in a pmUA 772. Then returned SYD-LAX-EWR on UA, with SYD-LAX in a pmUA 772. Long way around, but all flat bed, except for NRT-AKL, which may be flat bed now, and LAX-EWR.

As previously stated, NZ just does not offer TPAC J seats. But they do offer Asia to NZ J seats.
Old Apr 2, 2015, 12:08 pm

Programs: DL Gold, AS MVPG, Globalist
Originally Posted by JerseySlime
In March 14, I did a J award, EWR-NRT on UA, connecting to AKL on NZ (unfortunately at the time in a 763 with barcoloungers, may be 788 or 772 with VS-style J seats now), with a stopover in AKL. Then after a week, J on NZ to MEL in a 773, connecting to SYD on UA (which I think has been overcome by the nonstop 788 to MEL) in a pmUA 772. Then returned SYD-LAX-EWR on UA, with SYD-LAX in a pmUA 772. Long way around, but all flat bed, except for NRT-AKL, which may be flat bed now, and LAX-EWR.

As previously stated, NZ just does not offer TPAC J seats. But they do offer Asia to NZ J seats.
Odd you got the barcolounger seats; we did NRT->AKL six months before that and it was a 772 both ways with the new style VS seats. I've heard the 788/789 are great too.

OP, I would consider NH as well. They fly out of SEA on the 788, or you could go via YVR/SFO/LAX. You go to NRT, and then NZ or another *A carrier down to Australia/New Zealand. The product is great in J; fully lie-flat seats in their staggered 'pod' configuration.
Old Apr 2, 2015, 1:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K, QF Plat, VA Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Coles FlyBuys
Direct on UA?

Yeah, I see the Asia stuff, too, but I'm looking for direct.
The award availability is quite dynamic, especially for UA. In May 2014, I decided to go to the US for Christmas and booked AU>US on Cathay J/F via HKG, but I still needed a return trip to SYD. There was no UA availability from around 15 Dec to around 22 Jan (this is from memory, but I was on united.com once or twice a week for seven months checking it out), but I kept looking. Things started opening up in January.

In the end, AC came up with several options... first I booked YVR-PVG-(CA)-SYD. Then YVR-SYD opened up on 31 Dec which I booked, then on 2 Jan which I eventually went with.

Having (a) Platinum or 1K status for free changes, and (b) lots of flexibility makes all the difference.

I will say that, had I been willing to fly US>AU towards the end of January, the options opened up quite a bit, but I needed to be back in early January.

Now that UA no longer displays on ExpertFlyer, I would just suggest you check a couple of times a week. If you're looking for just one, or maybe two, seats, you should find something in UA J, UA F, or AC J.
Old Apr 2, 2015, 1:32 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Unless you want to transit BKK on your way to SYD, snag the Asiana flights.
Don't wait for NZ or UA, unless you have extreme flexibility and can change your flights <7 in advance. Even then, NZ is rare to nonexistent award space in J.
Old Apr 2, 2015, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by OnWing
Hi --

Looking to book an award to either Sydney or Melbourne using UA miles. I was thinking of flying through Asia, due to low availability on more direct routings.

Which airline offers the best J product to Australia?
From what I can see:
  1. OZ via ICN
  2. NZ via AKL
  3. TG via BKK
  4. SQ via SIN
  5. CA via PEK or PVG

From what I've gathered, OZ doesn't have lie-flat, and TG may or may not have lie-flat. Out of all of these, how would you rank the options for Asia - Australia and why?

If I missed any other routing options, let me know!

Will be originating at SEA, if that matters.
OZ does not offer flat beds on ICN-SYD flights, sometimes you get an equipment change in your favor but they are rare.

I find CA to be a pretty bad Asian airline overall... filthy planes full of hair, dirty lavatories, bad food, and passive-aggressive cabin crews.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.