Wiki Posts
Search

Work Around for Canadian Departure?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2015, 3:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond
Work Around for Canadian Departure?

I am pretty sure there is a trick for a US Based flyer to book on United.com a departure from Canada? All credit cards US Based, not sure if it was paypal or something of that nature to trick the website.

Please advise.

Thanks,

Everet
Old Mar 25, 2015, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
? I book Canadian departures all the time with US credit cards.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 3:30 pm

Pretty sure you have it backwards - using PayPal is how a Canadian resident can book a fare on UA.com in US Dollars (since UA.com otherwise defaults to currency of credit card billing address).
Old Mar 25, 2015, 3:34 pm
Original Poster

The fare and payment options below are based on selected flights, traveler information and a Canada billing address. Have a billing address in another country? Select your billing address country. Any change made may result in a different fare and available payment options.

Right now good fares are out of Canada....the above statement from UA.com is the problem.

After rejecting my credit card, fare changes from $3,000 CAD to $15,000 USD for a business class fare to Europe.....

The only work around is Orbitz, but you won't get 016 ticket stock.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Mar 25, 2015 at 7:14 pm Reason: merge consecutive posts
Old Mar 25, 2015, 3:40 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
Originally Posted by everetl
The only work around is Orbitz, but you won't get 016 ticket stock.
If the flight is United, why wouldn't it be 016 stock? What else could it be?
Old Mar 25, 2015, 3:41 pm
Original Poster

sorry actually everything is Swiss/Lufthansa/Air Canada/United

actually price changed to $15,000 USD because it defaulted to a Global First booking after changing back to US profile.

I changed it to Business and am now getting close $3500, but maybe they are just making money off the exchange rate. Also, not giving me the TATL flight I wanted with Swiss, instead rerouting through EWR to ZUR...

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Mar 25, 2015 at 7:14 pm Reason: merge consecutive posts
Old Mar 25, 2015, 4:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K
There are now multiple reports of UA charging what may be a too-low price in CAD based on a USD fare:

* http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-up-offer.html (specifically receipts at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24564720-post7.html )
* http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...departure.html

If you think UA is offering you legitimate prices, take pictures of every step in the booking process. There's a nonzero chance that they'll void all the tickets they've issued today ex-Canada…
Old Mar 25, 2015, 5:05 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
United's exchange for CAD has been favorable for a while now. Not anything major, but 20 bucks or so.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by everetl
I am pretty sure there is a trick for a US Based flyer to book on United.com a departure from Canada? All credit cards US Based, not sure if it was paypal or something of that nature to trick the website.

Please advise.

Thanks,

Everet
It's not a trick. Do what you normally do, just use a Canadian airport for your departure city.

1. Go to the U.S. website.
2. When entering the departure city, choose a Canadian airport
3. Enter destination city, then search and complete the booking as normal, with a U.S. Credit card

Or, alternatively:

1. Go to whatever version of United.com you prefer
2. Enter Canadian airport for departure, then enter destination city, and search and choose flights.
3. On the payment page, in the billing address section, change billing country to United States. Page will re-load to the equivalent US $ fare and allow you to book [only] with a U.S. Credit card

See. No tricks. If you're looking to book a fare in CAD with your US card, you'll have to do it elsewhere. On UA.com, it changes the currency to match the locality of the credit card being used.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 9:33 am

Originally Posted by emcampbe
It's not a trick. Do what you normally do, just use a Canadian airport for your departure city.

1. Go to the U.S. website.
2. When entering the departure city, choose a Canadian airport
3. Enter destination city, then search and complete the booking as normal, with a U.S. Credit card

Or, alternatively:

1. Go to whatever version of United.com you prefer
2. Enter Canadian airport for departure, then enter destination city, and search and choose flights.
3. On the payment page, in the billing address section, change billing country to United States. Page will re-load to the equivalent US $ fare and allow you to book [only] with a U.S. Credit card

See. No tricks. If you're looking to book a fare in CAD with your US card, you'll have to do it elsewhere. On UA.com, it changes the currency to match the locality of the credit card being used.
I do find that the second method usually works better than the first, particularity for itineraries found via a third party service like Hipmunk or Google Flights - using the first method often will generate an error for a more "complicated" itinerary that can't be loaded by itself on UA.com.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.