Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How does lapchild in UA lie flat seats work out?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How does lapchild in UA lie flat seats work out?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2015, 2:16 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by PVDProf
My worst flight with either of my children was when Master PVDProf was a toddler, flying as a lap child and we were op-up'd to C (recliners). The huge amount of space in front of us meant he wanted down to explore, but that wasn't possible because either the seatbelt sign was on or he was pulling at the life vest. We thought the upgrade would make for a fun flight, but it was quite the opposite: we were not able to enjoy the C service at all.

IAH-SFO is a pretty short flight and a significant fraction of the time will be time with the seatbelt sign on (taxi, climb, descent). On these trips, I try to find the most comforting way to restrain the kid and to minimize overstimulation. For my kids, a window economy seat and the familiarity of the car seat were most effective. Bring lots of books and small snacks that take lots of time to eat. As a parent, the pleasantness of the trip depends more on the contentedness of the kids than my own space.
Agreed! Flew in C from ORD to FRA on Lufthansa with my wife and nearly 2 year old son and it was a nightmare. All the space meant he could run around and get into everything. He is better in an economy seat with the ipad and some trips up and down the aisle.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 2:20 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Never used the cares system for our kids, as we always used the same car seat we normally do. I'll add to the choir that recommends choosing 3 E+ seats instead of 2 in F. Now if you were open to 3 F seats, I would change my tune.

Good luck and safe travels.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 2:59 pm

Programs: UA Plat, AS MVP, HH Gold, MR Gold
Originally Posted by tluehr1
Its probably more important to get the timing of the trip right, rather than the aircraft type. It seems like most of the folks are recommending to bring the car seat and install on the seat. Does anyone have any experience with the CARES harness system? I'm assuming I still need to bring the car seat for the rental car at destination too. Just thinking of ways to keep baby as calm as possible.
Yes, do pick a good schedule so you aren't up way to early, or to bed too late. Nap time is harder to work around, and hard to predict months out, but you want to avoid flights that leave an hour after nap time.

We used CARES for a couple trips after the kids moved out of convertible car seats to the five-point backed-boosters (4 or 5 yo). It was credible as a way to get a safer five-point harness for turbulence or slamming on the brakes, but the kids never found it as comfortable; airplane seats aren't really sized for kids and mine were far more comfortable in their regular carseats. I think 18 months is probably too young to consider CARES. One CARES tip: bring a square of rubber non-slip shelving liner, as little kids slide around on leather seats.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 3:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott PP
Isn't there a bassinet in the bulkhead in E+ on all long-haul birds? I'd book the two E+ seats and add the lap child and then utilize the free bassinet.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by trekwars2000
Isn't there a bassinet in the bulkhead in E+ on all long-haul birds? I'd book the two E+ seats and add the lap child and then utilize the free bassinet.
Bassinets are for infants under 22 pounds (~5-6 months). They wouldn't give you one for a toddler, let alone a large toddler.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by mduell
I agree with the above to book 3 E+ seats to get their kid in their own seat rather than on a lap.

I don't see a good reason to pick the 787 here -- it has pretty lousy seats in the back. 767 would be ideal, you could put the kid in the middle and both parents have aisle access, but there aren't may on that route these days. A320 or 757 would be the best options.
On second thought, maybe you do want the 787, despite the tight and lousy seats, so you can get the middle 3 with aisle access for both parents.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 6:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I appreciate everyone's thoughts on this. My intention of flying specifically in F on the Dreamliner was the experience for my wife and I. I'm really trying to target the idea of taking two (2) F seats and no dedicated seat for baby or three (3) E+ seats.
Well, if you really want to experience that aircraft, fly LAX-MEL.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 8:07 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
I agree - do 3 E+ seats - you will be much more comfortable. 2 F seats on a 787 have a little bit of separation on the arm rests. You will be better with the baby in the middle. The J seats are still to narrow for you to use the lie flat feature.

I was on a QF A380 flight and a man had a young child (about 2 years old) as a lap child. I think he thought he could let the baby sleep in the A380 J lounge, but no way did the FA allow that. So he spend most of the flight walking around the cabin with baby in hand.

He would have been much better off with 2 E Plus seats. He never could use the lie flat seat in that position. The baby is less likely to scream if it has its own seat.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 8:52 am
Original Poster

Thank you for everyone's opinion on this matter. I'm just going to book (3) Y+ seats and have the baby seat latched in as its a better situation for our baby. I would only carry my baby as a lap child for a very short flight. Anything over 3+ hours seems miserable.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 9:17 am

Programs: UA, SPG
Originally Posted by blort
Your first plane trip with your kid is about survival, not enjoyment. Get the third seat in E+ and bring the car seat.
^^^This! I've flown domestic several times during our son's first 12 months and a trip to Europe in Biz class when our son was 10 months. The biz seats were a huge waste of miles, spent most of the flights in the galleys trying to get him to fall asleep. Save yourself the stress and get 3 seats in E+ and bring the car seat. Your child should be most comfortable in the child seat. When my son was 18 months, it was like trying to restrain a rabid monkey on our laps. We did a trip to ORD-PHX last year at 18 months. Had two seats for three of us on flight out and three seats on return, outbound was miserable. Bonus of E+ - toddler shouldn't be able to kick seatback in front of them.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A menace to everything in the sky. Yes. Even birds.
Programs: Eh+ Rapid Rolleyes
Originally Posted by sakuraboy
Agreed! ...All the space meant he could run around and get into everything.
+3. Thought I was a genius by snagging a 764 on IAH - EWR and using RPUs to confirm lie-flats for wife, myself, and lap child. Backfired. My son just wanted to explore in all of his "space." Terrible flight for everyone.

Car-seat and E+ is the way to go.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 10:32 am

Programs: Platinum
Thank you for everyone's opinion on this matter. I'm just going to book (3) Y+ seats and have the baby seat latched in as its a better situation for our baby. I would only carry my baby as a lap child for a very short flight. Anything over 3+ hours seems miserable.
I remember the last time we did a lap child was a Frontier flight, PDX to PHX. My back and shoulders hurt for days afterwards. You made the right choice.

Save up for the overseas trips when your baby is older, and is able to remember them. The memories you will share with your child will last a lifetime.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 11:32 am

To put some positive spin on this thread, with everyone in a seat they find somewhat comfortable, I really enjoy flying with my kids. They are interested and excited by the new experience (or, they are proud to be old hands). I have nothing to do BUT pay attention to them, and that's all they want anyhow. As toddlers/preschoolers, we'd spend time looking out the window at the different planes on the tarmac, and the clouds and land below in the air. I'd always buy several new books for our flights, and we'd read stories, play with flap books and stacks of post-it notes, look at Hemispheres and Skymall (RIP) and share stories of real and imagined past airplane trips. We'd slowly eat a snack box. I might ask to borrow a stuffy so we could close our eyes for a while.

They've looked forward to every flight since they were toddlers. Now, they're older and entertain themselves with the versions of Angry Birds and Minecraft on my iPad that only work on airplanes ( ). We've saved our miles, and are finally taking the family to Europe this summer, and all of us are excited for the trip, and the flight!
Old Mar 24, 2015, 12:59 pm

Programs: UA 2MM Plat, AA Exec Plat, SPG Plat
my 2 and 4 year old are silver and gold elite, respectively, so have some experience here (we have lived overseas since the oldest was 7 months, so lots of cross the pond travel throughout the year).

get the E+ seats, especially for an under 2. From a comfort perspective alone in business, you have to keep the child outside of your seat belt during taxi, TO, and landing. an 18 month old will be squirming so much, touching everything possible. in the lie flats, you will have a giant immovable arm rest between you, so you can't even place the baby between you.

with E+, you have the benefit of flexible arm rests, a very easy-to-access snack tray, and plenty of leg room. that's a super short flight to even consider lying flat, much less with a baby.

we did it once, on our first move to the UK. 2 J seats with the baby and my wife hated it. she had to share her seat the entire time and there was absolutely no relaxation involved with trying to take care of an over-tired baby.

since then, it's either E+ or the whole family is in J in their own seats (we do 2 and 2). i - and the kids - love flying together now, but it's taken lots of miles to figure out a system that works.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by PVDProf
To put some positive spin on this thread, with everyone in a seat they find somewhat comfortable, I really enjoy flying with my kids. They are interested and excited by the new experience (or, they are proud to be old hands). I have nothing to do BUT pay attention to them, and that's all they want anyhow. As toddlers/preschoolers, we'd spend time looking out the window at the different planes on the tarmac, and the clouds and land below in the air. I'd always buy several new books for our flights, and we'd read stories, play with flap books and stacks of post-it notes, look at Hemispheres and Skymall (RIP) and share stories of real and imagined past airplane trips. We'd slowly eat a snack box. I might ask to borrow a stuffy so we could close our eyes for a while.

They've looked forward to every flight since they were toddlers. Now, they're older and entertain themselves with the versions of Angry Birds and Minecraft on my iPad that only work on airplanes ( ). We've saved our miles, and are finally taking the family to Europe this summer, and all of us are excited for the trip, and the flight!
Salute to a parent who's done everything right. In the air at least. We raised ours just the same way, and by the time he was eight or nine he (A) knew that getting upgraded was extremely grown-up, manners-dependent stuff, and (B) had a lot of his own complaints about unruly children inflight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.