Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA charged me more for an upgrade 2 weeks AFTER my flight!!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA charged me more for an upgrade 2 weeks AFTER my flight!!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2015, 2:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA: ExPlat & 3MM; UA: 1k; KL: Plat 4 Life; Hyatt: Plat; SPG, Marriott, Hilton: Gold
Originally Posted by bocastephen
The distinction is whether or not the OP deliberately took advantage of a glitch by doing something specific in the booking to trick the system vs just being a neutral beneficiary...but I agree - regardless of intent, the merchant cannot balance bill after the fact without going through proper notification channels to seek payment from the cardholder.
I booked a ticket and when went to upgrade link, this was what was offered. Was I supposed to refuse since too cheap? Was I supposed to call UA and ask them to charge me more?
I booked a ticket and bought what they offered me.
I have been offered other amounts for upgrades in past and make my decision based on that set of circumstances
Old Mar 18, 2015, 2:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by anandrag
I booked a ticket and when went to upgrade link, this was what was offered. Was I supposed to refuse since too cheap? Was I supposed to call UA and ask them to charge me more?
I have been offered other amounts for upgrades in past and make my decision based on that set of circumstances
If you bought what they offered, then you're not at fault here and it's UA's problem - but in general, always try to screenshot any relevant information in this type of transactions especially given the number of upgrades that magically disappear at UA.

Just do the DOT and credit card dispute and don't worry about it.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by anandrag
It is absurd to charge you in retrospect manner.

It's UA's problem if their IT can't produce correct upgrade price (but due to SHARES dynamic pricing so how do we know it's correct or not)

You did not break any rules.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 2:46 pm

Programs: UA Plat, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by EsquireFlyer
I don't think it was right for UA to go back and charge the credit card for more money without a further authorization.

But deducting the miles...not sure. MP rules give UA pretty broad authority over miles in an account. And I'm also not encouraged by the fact that the OP selectively disclosed information and withheld unfavorable information (like the fact that he/she was knowingly benefiting from a glitch) as "irrelevant." If it really was irrelevant, it would have been harmless to disclose; the fact that the OP was reluctant to disclose it after repeated requests from other posters (seeking more information before offering advice) suggests that it actually is relevant and unfavorable. Eventually, however, someone correctly guessed what happened.
Good point on disclosure, but I'm concerned that you did not disclose your annual income in your response. That is very relevant as it tells me how much $1,200 means to you personally. Please disclose that info. And the name of your first pet also.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 2:47 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by Soccerdad1995
Good point on disclosure, but I'm concerned that you did not disclose your annual income in your response. That is very relevant as it tells me how much $1,200 means to you personally. Please disclose that info. And the name of your first pet also.
Ben Stone himself couldn't have posed better questions.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 2:54 pm
Formerly known as CollegeFlyer

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
As Kacee pointed out earlier in this thread - debating the ethics of what OP did is of little to no value as it really isn't relevant legally, and beating him/her up and making moral judgments - while possibly entertaining - isn't what is going on here...

UA made OP an offer, consumer accepted, and then UA retroactively changed the price for the service - and took the money, without permission. Period.

OP's apparent knowledge - or not - of existing system "glitches" really isn't relevant. Forget the current situation - what if UA were to decide that EWR-LAX was suddenly worth $250 more per ticket than they had charged - and then billed everyone who flew in the last three weeks for it - would anyone here think that is right? I doubt it.... Obviously a different situation - but it's the same legal concept at work. Regardless of one's opinion of OP action's - UA can't be allowed to do this...
This analysis is not correct. The OP's knowledge and intent are legally relevant to the question of what UA is allowed and not allowed to do.

When one party unknowingly benefits from another party's mistake, it's a different legal situation than when one party knowingly takes advantage of another party's mistake.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 3:02 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
UA made OP an offer, consumer accepted, and then UA retroactively changed the price for the service - and took the money, without permission. Period.
Exactly. And they did so after the service had already been provided, so OP was never given the opportunity to choose whether he wanted to pay the higher price.

The ethics issue gets debated at length every time there's a mistake fare. It's actually a fascinating issue because what at first seems to be a straightforward ethical question - should one take advantage of another's known mistake? - is complicated by the generally shared view that the airlines in general, and UA in particular, regularly ignore the rules, abuse their superior bargaining power, and frequently mistreat their customers. This leads people who would never think of keeping the extra $20 the cashier mistakenly gave them to vigorously defend their right to exploit an airline mistake as compensation for all the wrongs the airline has previously done them.

When one party unknowingly benefits from another party's mistake, it's a different legal situation than when one party knowingly takes advantage of another party's mistake.
That's not correct. Knowledge of the mistake does not justify a self-help remedy by the aggrieved party. Ask OJ about that. The unauthorized charge was just wrong.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 3:03 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
This analysis is not correct. The OP's knowledge and intent are legally relevant to the question of what UA is allowed and not allowed to do.

LOL honestly - anything is debatable on FT! How on earth would you PROVE that OP KNOWINGLY took advantage of something OP knew to be incorrectly offered to them by UA? I am offered upgrades two to three times per week on UA - how am I to decide which is "fair" and which is not? Like I said - this is a perfect example of something people here like to debate but in reality isn't relevant at all... And you completely ignore the FACTS of this event - UA charged, after the fact, without permission, OP's credit card. That is just plain and simple illegal.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 3:06 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold

The corollary to that IMHO appears to be that FTers who beg, berate, or badger the OP to reveal his or her "knowledge and intent" seem knowingly or unknowingly to be promoting the furthering of UA's interests in the matter, rather than simply and benignly "seeking more information before offering advice" as you describe it an earlier post.

Something for me at least to ponder...

Originally Posted by Kacee
That's not correct. Knowledge of the mistake does not justify a self-help remedy by the aggrieved party. Ask OJ about that. The unauthorized charge was just wrong.
Good point!
Old Mar 18, 2015, 3:07 pm

Exactly. And they did so after the service had already been provided, so OP was never given the opportunity to choose whether he wanted to pay the higher price.

The ethics issue gets debated at length every time there's a mistake fare. It's actually a fascinating issue because what at first seems to be a straightforward ethical question - should one take advantage of another's known mistake? - is complicated by the generally shared view that the airlines in general, and UA in particular, regularly ignore the rules, abuse their superior bargaining power, and frequently mistreat their customers. This leads people who would never think of keeping the extra $20 the cashier mistakenly gave them to vigorously defend their right to exploit an airline mistake as compensation for all the wrongs the airline has previously done them.
LOL you are right - it is an interesting thing to debate but legally, there isn't much to debate. No court - at least here in the US - would say that the average consumer would/should have more insight into airline pricing practices than the airline itself - which, at the end of the day, is really what we are talking about ethically... The court would say simply - if UA is dumb enough to offer this to a consumer then they must honor it...
Old Mar 18, 2015, 3:08 pm
Formerly known as CollegeFlyer

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
I didn't say that it justified a self-help remedy (which you would know if you read my first post). I just said that it was legally relevant, in response to someone who said (incorrectly) that the OP's knowledge is legally irrelevant.

The fact that some remedy is justified does not necessarily mean that the particular remedy that United wanted in this situation was justified.

LOL you are right - it is an interesting thing to debate but legally, there isn't much to debate. No court - at least here in the US - would say that the average consumer would/should have more insight into airline pricing practices than the airline itself - which, at the end of the day, is really what we are talking about ethically... The court would say simply - if UA is dumb enough to offer this to a consumer then they must honor it...
If the above statement were true, United would have been compelled to honor the "Danish special" tickets, which, obviously, it was not.

And you completely ignore the FACTS of this event - UA charged, after the fact, without permission, OP's credit card. That is just plain and simple illegal.
I didn't "ignore" facts. Please read my post #47 regarding the unauthorized after-the-fact charges, before accusing me of ignoring them.

I don't think the credit card charge was appropriate, but I think UA probably would have been justified to deduct the miles and send the OP a bill requesting the OP's payment.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 18, 2015 at 3:33 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member - please use multi-quoting
Old Mar 18, 2015, 3:14 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I didn't say that it justified a self-help remedy (which you would know if you read my first post). I just said that it was legally relevant, in response to someone who said (incorrectly) that the OP's knowledge is legally irrelevant.
You mean the part where you said that "[t]he OP's knowledge and intent are legally relevant to the question of what UA is allowed and not allowed to do"?

OP's knowledge and intent do not justify UA's exercise of an unlawful self-help remedy. Period.

Nice back-pedaling though
Old Mar 18, 2015, 3:15 pm

If the above statement were true, United would have been compelled to honor the "Danish special" tickets, which, obviously, it was not compelled to do.
I would honestly submit that a fare of less than 10 dollars, booked through a very specific website, in a very specific currency, on a very specific day, and addressed immeidately,would be handled by the courts very differently than this situation...

Honestly - I am surprised you don't see the legal logic in OP's situation, regardless of your opinions of their intent...
Old Mar 18, 2015, 3:29 pm

Breaking my self imposed exile from this forum to make one point!

The OP did what many people have figured out and have been doing for years. UA can and will do anything that they want regarding the removal of miles from one's account in order to be compensated for a pax that occupies one of their seats, and that includes upgrades. As far as charging more $ for a seat after the fact, that is something that the OP should pursue, on his own, and by coming on here, for what ever reason, he is screwing many of us who upgrade using the tactic that the OP used.

Most people upgrade using this method on domestic flights, however the OP seems to have lucked out and managed to get upgraded on and international itinerary ALL THE WAY OVER & BACK, and he got challenged. UA's system does have a glitch, but by coming on here and making a BIG deal out of it, he may have possibly screwed up something that was a good thing for everyone else.

LOOSE LIPS sink ships!

So before all the backyard attorneys get all teary eyed that "It Ain't Right" remember the OP is only being charged for a seat that he occupied. I know, I know, UA charged him an additional fee, after the fact, and he may win that argument, and in turn by blabbing on here, he just messed up what used to be a good thing!

NOT COOL!!!
Old Mar 18, 2015, 3:42 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Why the legal eagles can for the umpteen time re-debate this issue of intent and again come to the the same previous conclusion is they disagree,I think the following is a bigger issue for this community
Originally Posted by LilAbner
Most people upgrade using this method on domestic flights, however the OP seems to have lucked out and managed to get upgraded on and international itinerary ALL THE WAY OVER & BACK, and he got challenged. UA's system does have a glitch, but by coming on here and making a BIG deal out of it, he may have possibly screwed up something that was a good thing for everyone else.....
This has been a well known, well publicized, much discussed loophole here on UA forum. Bloggers have highlighted this many times. All the way back to JFK-LAX-HNL-SFO-ORD-LGA MR upgrades using one e500.

UA has clearly known about this for a long time but it appears maybe they are now attempting to do something about it. That is the real headline for me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.