Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Unable to Book KMG-LAX on a route that makes sense

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2015, 2:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, HA Premier, Hertz #1 Gold PC, SBUX Gold

Looking for any advice here. I'm trying to book a flight back to the LAX in the US in July from KMG in China, ideally directly via UA so it's on the right ticket stock for premiere earning etc. I know for a fact that this can easily be done with CA flights to either PVG or PEK and then UA from PVG to LAX or UA/CA from PEK to LAX. However everything that comes up as available on the UA website is always three stop through SFO (waste of time and stupid), and in some cases the first leg (in this case to HKG) is not even on a *A carrier but rather KA which wouldn't even earn miles as a non-UA partner. Any tips for how to easily book KMG-LAX via PVG or PEK on UA ticket stock? When I check the regular travel websites I can often get this itinerary to show up purely on CA, but this would only get me RDMs and PQMs but no PQDs.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 3:47 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Just looked on hipmunk with a random date. Search and select United under the 'airlines' filter. Pulls up CA and UA via PEK or PVG and links you to united.com to book on 016. Hope that helps!
Old Mar 6, 2015, 5:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, HA Premier, Hertz #1 Gold PC, SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by smxflyer
Just looked on hipmunk with a random date. Search and select United under the 'airlines' filter. Pulls up CA and UA via PEK or PVG and links you to united.com to book on 016. Hope that helps!
I just tried there and doesn't seem to help completely, only founds routings via PVG and the flight to there from KMG is on MU so still not even *A.

Last edited by gradsflyer; Mar 6, 2015 at 6:00 am
Old Mar 6, 2015, 8:47 am

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
I think you'll have to call web support and have them build the itinerary segment by segment. I'm not sure whether they would waive the booking fee, but it's worth asking since you can't do it yourself on .com.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 9:09 am
mkr
Suspended

Location: Just outside Big D, or many other places in big metal tubes
Programs: WN Rpd.Rwrds, AA, was longtime CO very top Elite tier, Overentitled UA Lifetime 1K (since 2012)
I did a dummy booking for July 7 on UA website...found routing to LAX just through PVG.
I went to advanced search and for number of flights changed setting from default to 50. Try doing that for your possible flight dates.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 10:04 am

Programs: UA Silver / FA
mkr.. Way to go you beat me to it. I logged in, and your answer popped up.

I also did a dummy booking on UA.com (in July too), changed to show 50 flights, and 3rd from the top is KMG-PVG-LAX.

Only issue is it's booking into CA Y and UA P.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.