Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Using Mileage plus Explorer Card at vendor that uses impression machine. Possible?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Using Mileage plus Explorer Card at vendor that uses impression machine. Possible?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2015, 3:47 pm
Original Poster

I am renting a car in Costa Rica, and all agencies there require a physical impression of your card (the old school way - carbon paper). I know the numbers on the back of the card are raised, but not much.

Has anybody had experience with this? Can this card be used at an impression machine vendor?

Really need a solution to this since all of my cards went flat, and Chase claims they can't send me an Explorer Card in the old style.

Thank you.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by jtopicz1
I am renting a car in Costa Rica, and all agencies there require a physical impression of your card (the old school way - carbon paper). I know the numbers on the back of the card are raised, but not much.

Has anybody had experience with this? Can this card be used at an impression machine vendor?

Really need a solution to this since all of my cards went flat, and Chase claims they can't send me an Explorer Card in the old style.

Thank you.
They want your money. I suspect they will figure it out by use of a copy machine or hand writing the numbers.

Can you prepay or make a deposit using the same card so they can see the numbers match when you arrive?

Surely they have had another United/Chase member through there before.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 5:36 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, HHonors Gold, Hertz Five Star Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis First
Originally Posted by jtopicz1

Thank you.
I have successfully used at small outlets in foreign nations w impression machines.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 5:53 pm

Programs: Hyatt GLOB, Marriott Lifetime PLT, UA 1K 1MM.
when i used it at impression machines, the vendor usually just writes it down.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 6:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by atword
They want your money. I suspect they will figure it out by use of a copy machine or hand writing the numbers.
Hand writing the numbers doesn't prove that the card was present for the transaction, which is what the merchant wants to protect against chargeback. I checked into a hotel once (in the US) that still took an impression of the guarantee card at check-in, and in the case of the UA Chase card, they made a photocopy instead.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 12:35 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Globalist, M life Gold, IHG Spire
I'm happy FTers got their cards to work, so don't take this the wrong way.

However, I would never expect a non-embossed Chase card to work at a merchant w/o a swipe reader. The rule is if the merchant cannot swipe the card and/or cannot key enter the cc#/cvv2 into the electronic terminal, they are to refuse that form of payment.

5 Important Things You Should Know About Unembossed Visa Cards

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.