Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Digital Redesign Update: Beta of new united.com site publicly available for all

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 13, 2015, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
13 May 2015 Update -- publicly available link (no sign up required) -- https://beta.united.com/ual/en/us/

also see Next steps for the new united.com
Has instruction about how to force the use of the beta or traditional site.
Print Wikipost

Digital Redesign Update: Beta of new united.com site publicly available for all

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2015, 4:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by cyborg
Tried searching for W fare using GPU and ended up showing G fare ...
Which of the three columns were you looking in?

When you specify a fare class it puts that in the middle of the three, with the cheapest economy on the left and the cheapest biz on the right.
Old May 14, 2015, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
The half-logged-in state is now even more confusing compared to the old site, since it no longer shows your miles/elite progress but does show your upcoming flights. And of course the upcoming flight widget misdetects origin/destination when collapsed, but gets it partially right (airport names but not airport codes) when expanded.

Old May 14, 2015, 5:26 pm

The site has been so buggy that I finally had to go on the phone app

Originally Posted by Indelaware
No, I am not joking at all. I've posted my complaints about the beta site on the beta thread. To put it in a net shell, the new site, IMO, is ugly, works poorly, is more complex, is slower, and is anything but flexible. Just try to do a multistop fare. Nearly impossible to make good decisions with data presented on the new site, in the least one needs to dig down for it. Take away the stupid blocks of color space and give me back the encompassing data available on one page with the old site.

You are entitled to you opinion, but I would not joke about something as important as a workable website.
+1 here.

To get seats assigned on a long LAX SYD flight in C.
Old May 14, 2015, 7:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Tried my first flight search on the beta site... failure throughout. Starting with it doesn't honor the options you choose on the form, display MP earnings while picking flights, or display accurate MP earnings at the review.

I hope hipmunk gets integration working with the new site so I can keep doing my flight search on functional search engines (ITA software, hipmunk, google flights) and then bounce into the UA.sux booking process.

Last edited by mduell; May 14, 2015 at 9:40 pm
Old May 14, 2015, 8:03 pm

Programs: FSPP, Virtuoso, Belmond Bellini Club, STARS, Hyatt Privé, Peninsula PenClub, etc.
Originally Posted by ctownflyer
Insider, any comment if you're working to fix the award calendar to show only dates with nonstop saver award availability when the nonstop button is checked?

The old UA.com has this capability and it's a massive step back for the beta site.
+1 Hope the new site doesn't get rolled out in its current form.
Old May 14, 2015, 8:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I'm a fan of the new site. That said, it needs work.

I just tried to book a simple IAD-SFO roundtrip on the beta site. No luck.

I switched to the old site to book the same routing. No luck.

Went to the phone app, and was able to book the flight - easily and it ticketed within 5 minutes.
Old May 14, 2015, 9:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by crosvs
??? Is this a joke?? The new site is gorgeous, works great, is way simpler, faster, and far more flexible. Are you kidding me???
The new site lks lovely -- but it's nowhere near as usable as the old site. It tries to offer everything but ends up presenting it in a difficult-to-use manner. It requires constant scrolling to see the information presented. Results are presented quite differently from the old site. Some of the new features are nice. Overall I find it quite a bit less user-friendly and much more flashy. I'll take useful over flashy any day. I'm leaving out all the bugs because -- well -- bugs happen and I'm sure the folks at UA are working hard to fix the issues we've found.
Old May 14, 2015, 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by Xyzzy
The new site lks lovely -- but it's nowhere near as usable as the old site. It tries to offer everything but ends up presenting it in a difficult-to-use manner. It requires constant scrolling to see the information presented. Results are presented quite differently from the old site. Some of the new features are nice. Overall I find it quite a bit less user-friendly and much more flashy. I'll take useful over flashy any day. I'm leaving out all the bugs because -- well -- bugs happen and I'm sure the folks at UA are working hard to fix the issues we've found.
The new site may be like a person who one notices for her/his body and then discover can't engage in conversation and knows little-to-nothing. Whatever passing physical attraction morphs quickly into repulsion.

Now, if the new site was a person, it would be a person to whom I'd feel no immediate, even fleeting, attraction. It strikes me as enticing as a child -- one can immediately see there is no substance and just a bunch of junior high school glitz. That's what happens when one tries to make a website look like a mobile site.
Old May 14, 2015, 9:43 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by TravelConcierge
+1 Hope the new site doesn't get rolled out in its current form.
I can't understand why more folks aren't up in arms over the loss of the nonstop award calendar.

Something is just not right when your 2015 site loses features that your 2006 site had.
Old May 15, 2015, 12:13 am

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by mduell
The half-logged-in state is now even more confusing compared to the old site, since it no longer shows your miles/elite progress but does show your upcoming flights. And of course the upcoming flight widget misdetects origin/destination when collapsed, but gets it partially right (airport names but not airport codes) when expanded.

I had hoped that with this overhaul, they'd do away entirely with the half-logged in state.
Old May 15, 2015, 8:57 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
The new site intermittently refuses to recognize city codes, even when they're ones the site put in. E.g. I do a search for IAD-NRT, and it changes NRT to TYO. Then I do "edit search" and change the date, and the new .bomb claims they don't fly to TYO and makes me put back in NRT again. (And then the search results include HND, despite me specifying NRT...)
Old May 15, 2015, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by exerda
and the new .bomb claims they don't fly to TYO and makes me put back in NRT again. (And then the search results include HND, despite me specifying NRT...)
the existing site does the same thing, at least in award searches. if you put in NRT, you get results to/from both NRT and HND, which is maddening when you are trying to piece together a complex itinerary connecting at NRT and want to check segment by segment availability.
Old May 15, 2015, 11:27 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AA EXP, HH Diamond, MR Gold, Avis PC, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
the existing site does the same thing, at least in award searches. if you put in NRT, you get results to/from both NRT and HND, which is maddening when you are trying to piece together a complex itinerary connecting at NRT and want to check segment by segment availability.
This drives me freaking bonkers, and I suspect was done to increase sales on the SFO-HND flight by ensuring it shows up in search results.
Old May 15, 2015, 11:39 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
Yes, and conversely, the old site (and AFAIK the new one, too) would, if you put in HND, still default to TYO and thus show a ton of NRT options. It made it very hard to actually search for HND.
Old May 15, 2015, 11:49 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
I just did a really quick dummy booking....and overall I hated it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.