Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Award ticket on hold, backdated somehow causing it to prematurely cancel

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2015, 2:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*

United incompetence strikes again:

On 2/7, I booked a round trip business saver award trip to UK over the summer involving LH, AC, and EI. Due to the EI legs, it needed to be put on hold. I was told explicitly, it would be held for 48 hours but I needed to call back within that period or it would cancel automatically. I checked my account and I see the pending reservation.

30 minutes later, I called to change the itinerary slightly to make one of the EI legs one hour earlier to increase connection time at LHR.

Today, 2/8, I call, within the 24 hour window to check, just to be SAFE, so that it won't cancel in 24 hours, especially since oddly, the 2nd agent, who made the change, stated 24 hours.

I am told when I call, they see that my reservation was CANCELLED, automatically at midnight 2/7. They say the reservation date was 2/1 !! and that's why it cancelled since the hold time had passed.

After 1K agent contacted supervisor, they transferred me to MP desk (telling me it would be 1K MP) but it was a standard MP agent who didn't feel they could do anything but transferred me to Alliance desk, who worked to put the reservation back together.

Of course, availability had changed and I was unable to get my outbound flight on the same day anymore so had to lose one day of my vacation. I was told they could contact Customer Service to try and put me on a UA flight, but I was explicitly trying to AVOID UA, so not an option for me. That was met with a chuckle. The agent put it back together with the 1 day change and its out on hold again (even re-used the same record locator).

I guess I am screwed. I can try and watch availability to see if the seats I originally took ever come back but maybe someone already scarfed them up or maybe they will sit in limbo forever, never to return to inventory?
Old Feb 8, 2015, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
yes, they offered to put you on UA metal and this is as much as you can ask for. Partner awards can at times be tricky and some you win some you lose.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.