Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United to start SFO-MNL with 789 [Unconfirmed Rumor]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United to start SFO-MNL with 789 [Unconfirmed Rumor]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2015, 10:59 am

Programs: UA, Bonvoy, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by sincx
Hence the 789

It is truly amazing how many bags people on flights to MNL carry with them. The lines and piles at 9 PM at SFO International check in desks...
It's child's play compared to DEL and BOM!

Last edited by goalie; Feb 6, 2015 at 3:17 pm Reason: removed quote of deleted post
Old Feb 6, 2015, 11:00 am

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
I am not surprised to see this, and its a good system add.

The competitor (Philippine Air) is awful, not exactly liked in the Filipino community, and the bay area has a very large Filipino population. And the other option used by a lot of folks ( DL to NRT then on to MNL) is no longer possible with one stop. Other than connecting in Japan or Korea or Taiwan, United is the only game in town on this route other than a weak/poor competitor. Its the perfect market for UAL.

Between call centers and MFGing, they should also be able to sell enough premium seats.
Old Feb 6, 2015, 11:00 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
The Aussie?
The Filipino woman...
Old Feb 6, 2015, 11:01 am

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by channa
While I'm not a fan of the 787, this is a cool route. Much more useful than some of their other recent announcements (e.g., CTU, NCL).
I am pretty happy about MNl route opening up. Will be using this, asuming price is right. Looking forward to NCL too. Flying that route this summer.
Old Feb 6, 2015, 11:11 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
Awesome news!! I knew it was coming just didn't know when. I could've used this route a few years back. Good job UA!
Old Feb 6, 2015, 11:15 am

http://www.local1781.org/index.php/2...n-philippines/
Old Feb 6, 2015, 11:44 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, AA GLD
Originally Posted by rxziebel
http://philippineairspace.blogspot.c...fo-launch.html

What a great addition! Finally might be able to avoid NRT connections.
Err, the blog post you're referencing is rather loosely based off of a Philippine Star story from 1/30 ( http://www.philstar.com/business/201...re-philippines ) that only says that UA is "studying opportunities." The mention of the 789 according to the newspaper article was simply that UA has ordered 34 of them, not that one has been earmarked to launch a new route.
Old Feb 6, 2015, 11:45 am

Originally Posted by zcat18
It's child's play compared to DEL and BOM!
Wonder how it compares to IAH-LOS.

I've heard checked bagged counts in the 400 range before.

Last edited by goalie; Feb 6, 2015 at 3:18 pm Reason: edited quoted post to match edited original
Old Feb 6, 2015, 11:50 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
This makes me so happy! More dive trips to plan!

Originally Posted by mherdeg
They have that person in the safety video who says Mabuhay!
lol

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Feb 6, 2015 at 1:14 pm Reason: Merge
Old Feb 6, 2015, 12:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by rob_flies_ua
Err, the blog post you're referencing is rather loosely based off of a Philippine Star story from 1/30 ( http://www.philstar.com/business/201...re-philippines ) that only says that UA is "studying opportunities." The mention of the 789 according to the newspaper article was simply that UA has ordered 34 of them, not that one has been earmarked to launch a new route.
Yeah...I was wondering about this. I saw the original report which talked about the potential but no confirmation of the service. It was a sales guy making a sales call on customers and telling them how important they are. But with zero commitment.

And if they did launch a new route there would almost certianly be a press release about it: http://ir.unitedcontinentalholdings....&p=irol-IRHome.
Old Feb 6, 2015, 12:24 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
Until I read a US-media report on this, I'm not buying it either. Call me a skeptic, but MNL is not a low-hanging fruit no matter how much a "game changer" the 787 may be.
Old Feb 6, 2015, 12:35 pm

Programs: DL DM, F9 100k, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat
As much as I like the idea of this happening; not sure if I see this route actually starting.

I don't see Manila as being high yielding enough to be a priority for United. I hope I'm wrong, but we will see.. (They dropped the tag on from NRT-BKK for example)
Old Feb 6, 2015, 12:37 pm

Programs: UA - Plat; TK - Elite; Marriott - Gold
If this happens, I hope they also move to the new terminal. The old one in MNL feels like it'll fall apart and constricted.
Old Feb 6, 2015, 12:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
Also wonder if this will make it easier (more comfy) to get to BKK by getting further on UA and then not having to do NH and not having Y+. 1300 miles MNL-BKK vs 2900 NRT-BKK.
Though I'm skeptical about this one, good call on the BKK connection. I'm doing ICN-BKK on OZ next week specifically to avoid the NH sector in coach.

I hear Y on the OZ A330 isn't bad at all. I had intended to try it out last week on PVG-ICN, but when I checked in I was told "I'm afraid we've had to upgrade you to business class" so I was out of luck. Couldn't quite bring myself to decline the upgrade...
Old Feb 6, 2015, 2:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by rob_flies_ua
Don't let the facts get in the way of a good rumor!

I question the ability of this route to support premium cabin fares. Business class fares on PAL are really cheap.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.