Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chicago Cubs dump United

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2015, 7:15 pm
Original Poster

Chicago Cubs dump United

I'm sure nobody really cares but the hometown airline has been booted out as the official airline of the Chicago Cubs by AA. The United Club will transition to a non airline sponsor, wonder why AA didn't make it an Admirals Club. I also wonder if UA lost the charter business of hauling the team to the games too.
Old Feb 5, 2015, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Maybe now they'll win a World Series.
Old Feb 5, 2015, 7:24 pm

Programs: VAG
Against Miami?
Old Feb 5, 2015, 7:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, AA PLT, DL Silver
Originally Posted by Jorgen
Against Miami?
Great reference. Gonna go put some money on the cubbies.
Old Feb 5, 2015, 7:57 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by worldtrav
I'm sure nobody really cares but the hometown airline has been booted out as the official airline of the Chicago Cubs by AA.
The sponsorship was up for renewal, UA was outbid by AA. In 2013, UA renewed its long-term naming rights at the United Center for big bucks, so perhaps the local sponsorship budget for Chicago was maxed out? UA is still well-represented in Chicago with deals in place with the Bears, Blackhawks, Bulls and White Sox.

I also wonder if UA lost the charter business of hauling the team to the games too.
Not to my knowledge. Generally team charter contracts are separate from marketing relationships. JetBlue and Southwest are the "official airline" of a number of NFL teams (and WN the entire league) but neither do any NFL charters. I believe UA will still be flying the Cubs.
Old Feb 5, 2015, 7:59 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
I posted an article about this earlier today:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24296455-post260.html
Old Feb 5, 2015, 8:06 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
Great news for this White Sox fan! Good move by UA to not advertise with that loser of a team.
Old Feb 5, 2015, 8:12 pm

Programs: UA GS/Global Entry
This was a bad move by UA unless AA totally overpaid. United represents 26 or so teams around the country. Out of all of these, the Cubs was arguably the most important to UA as they are the most popular team in United's hometown of Chicago. American should have absolutely no ability to call themselves "Chicago's Hometown Airline"- which they want to do according to their CMO. Big loss for UA.
Old Feb 5, 2015, 8:13 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by tom911
I posted an article about this earlier today:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24296455-post260.html
And with that, please continue the discussion in this thread from the above mentioned post

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...5-edition.html

goalie
UA Forum Co-Moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.