Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "How to Keep/Refresh Expiring Miles" Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 9, 2015, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
United announces "MileagePlus Miles Never Expire" (effective immediately)

Archive thread: Consolidated "How to Keep/Refresh Expiring Miles" Thread [ARCHIVE]

If you want to keep all your existing miles, and thus want some new miles to post quickly and reliably, here are some ways, from cheapest to most expensive:
  1. Book an award ticket and then cancel at no cost within 24 hours.
  2. If you have a United credit card, downgrade it to the no fee version that gives 1 mile/$2 and use it every so often. Will help with aging as well which is good for your credit score.
  3. Dining option still works (as of May 22, 2014). Posted to United in about 3 weeks after activity. I think it is one of the easiest options. No need to even take survey if you dont want extra survey points. I didn't do it.
  4. Buy a gift card and trade it to United for miles. See http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/21020349-post702.html for an example that cost $15, and resulted in miles posting in under 24 hours. If you are not a U.S. resident, then buy an acceptable gift card on eBay and ask seller to email you the gift card number and pin. The gift card can be purchased with anyone's credit card (or cash) and applied to anyone's M+ number (name on credit card and M+ account need not match). It is not known if e-gift cards work. Physical gift cards known to work are:
    • Buffalo Wild Wings (available for as low as $15 at Walgreens pharmacy). Note this card did not have a pin. Leaving the pin field empty in the submission worked fine.

2013 Update: - Ref, Ref
      - Online bought GCs (i.e. e GCs) are not working successfully - Failed: Walmart, Lowes, NewEgg
      - Store bought cards that worked recently as per some members: Buffalo Wild Wings, Target
  5. Buy miles directly from United. http://www.ualmiles.com/PersonalMile...Personal+Miles. The minimum purchase is about $75.
  6. Mileage activity from third parties -- rental car, hotels, .... -- look for previously not posted activity
  7. Buy a ticket on united.com, and once it tickets, purchase award maximizer. Look for a flight with a short distance, such as COS/DEN to keep the award maximizer cost low. Miles will post in under 24 hours. Cancel ticket within 24 hours to get a full refund.
    2013 Update: Ref, Ref
    This seems to be the simplest way to do it for low cost, without much running around or waiting or donating miles.
    - Bought an IAH > Austin ticket for 69/79 $.
    - Went back in to change/ modify ticket reservation and then Award Acc was offered - 500 miles for 17$. Bought it.
    - Miles posted in few hours. Cancelled the ticket. Refund to Visa card pending.

Note: Buy any low cost short distance ticket, go back in and buy award accelerator and then cancel in 24 hr after award miles post. .
  8. Make a purchase using MileagePlus X – Shopping App to Earn Additional Award Miles / Introducing MileagePlusX -- miles reportedly post very quickly. Doesn't work if the name on credit card doesn't match the name on the M+ account.
  9. Originally Posted by SilverGoat
    Another option if you are in he United States is with BP gas stations with their BP Driver Rewards program. They give at least 1 mile per gallon. Signing up is free and the miles post instantly.

Have a look here: https://www.mybpstation.com/united
Using miles for travel or upgrades or UC subscription is a mileage activity that will also reset the expiration. However those worried about expiration tend not to be regular travelers, so some not travel mileage uses for resetting expiration date are
  1. Magazine subscriptions
  2. Charitable giving
  3. Mileage Purchases -- generally a poor use of miles
If your miles have expired, there are a couple of ways to re-instate the lost miles
  1. Reinstatement Miles for a fee -- if the expiration is as recent as 18 months ago, roughly 0.5 to 1 cpm.
  2. Find a recent (last 12 months typically) hotel stay or rental car credit that has not yet been posted. If the date was prior to expiration that should reinstate the expired miles.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "How to Keep/Refresh Expiring Miles" Thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2018, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
A little confused.. canceling an award ticket and redpositing it should reset the expiration clock, but it's not free unless you have status (and therefore probably don't have miles about to expire).
Old Nov 27, 2018, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by findark
A little confused.. canceling an award ticket and redpositing it should reset the expiration clock, but it's not free unless you have status (and therefore probably don't have miles about to expire).
Well, it would be if you were within 24 hours of purchase. But I don't know whether that actually counts as a booking and redeposit.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by jsloan
Well, it would be if you were within 24 hours of purchase. But I don't know whether that actually counts as a booking and redeposit.
Huh. I never thought of that. Honestly since you can buy a $3 product on some shopping app, earn a couple miles, and get 18 months more validity, I'm not sure UA has an incentive to care.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 3:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, IHG Plat Amb, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by findark
Huh. I never thought of that. Honestly since you can buy a $3 product on some shopping app, earn a couple miles, and get 18 months more validity, I'm not sure UA has an incentive to care.
It was free because I was in the 24 hour rule. I just checked again and his new expiration date is in May of 2020.
jsloan likes this.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 8:46 am

Originally Posted by eyuro
It was free because I was in the 24 hour rule. I just checked again and his new expiration date is in May of 2020.
I’ve added this to the wiki.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 11:03 am

Programs: Delta
Lightbulb Best value for 14,774 miles about to expire?

I have 14,774 miles set to expire March, 2019. I'm trying to get rid of those miles since I plan on sticking with Sky Team, specifically Delta, moving forward.

What is the best way to spend the last of those United miles? Should I try to use it to buy things off of United's website instead of trying to squeeze out an airfare? I live in Buffalo (BUF) so the closest real "hub" of any sort is Toronto (YYZ).
Old Dec 4, 2018, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
That's a one-way anywhere in the US. Seems worth it (BUF-EWR-LAX for example) and then you can take Skyteam home.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 11:16 am

Programs: Once a somebody now a nobody
Even if you go all in on Skyteam....never hurts to have a small stash of other mileage currencies. Emergencies happen or you have that one off flight from Buffalo to a United hub and you can use the miles to fly nonstop.

My advice, figure out a way to extend them versus buying a toaster.
eastindywalrus and beltway like this.

Last edited by chicago747; Dec 4, 2018 at 11:46 am
Old Dec 4, 2018, 12:00 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
All you have to do is redeem or earn 1 mile to keep that balance alive. Like buying a $1 iTunes track even if you don't listen to it.

See link provided just above. That seems like a small amount of time / cost to have ~15,000 miles at your disposal for various needs that may come up, versus trying to get rid of them for something not really needed. Just do it in time that the miles post by the account expiration date.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 12:11 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime GS 4mm
Keep 15k account alive for future award travel

Originally Posted by aacharya
That's a one-way anywhere in the US. Seems worth it (BUF-EWR-LAX for example) and then you can take Skyteam home.
Originally Posted by TA
All you have to do is redeem or earn 1 mile to keep that balance alive. Like buying a $1 iTunes track even if you don't listen to it.

See link provided just above. That seems like a small amount of time / cost to have ~15,000 miles at your disposal for various needs that may come up, versus trying to get rid of them for something not really needed. Just do it in time that the miles post by the account expiration date.
+1
I have kept my orphan Delta and AA accounts active, and book award tickets when fares or UA award tickets are too high. You may find either UA or Delta offer better award mileage and/or schedule availability depending on certain routes.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 12:12 pm

Programs: Global Entry, UA, AA, BA, DL, Bonvoy
Keep the miles alive and plan a trip to Hawaii in which you use 14,000 miles for two inter-island tickets on Hawaiian Airlines.
8MiHi likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 1:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Sign up for the new golf thing that gets you 50 free points and extend the life. Then figure out how to use them without a deadline looming over you.
fluffles likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 1:20 pm

Programs: Delta
What is this new golf thing? Can you elaborate please? I have no idea what you are referring to.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 1:33 pm

If you're Premier Silver (or higher) or Marriott Platinum (Platinum Premiere in 2019), you can transfer those miles to Marriott Rewards 1:1 via RewardsPlus....that's if you value MR points more than United miles.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 1:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by fluffles
What is this new golf thing? Can you elaborate please? I have no idea what you are referring to.
http://www.mileageplusgolf.com/

There's an option for an app download to earn 50 free points.
8MiHi likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.