Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "How to Keep/Refresh Expiring Miles" Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 9, 2015, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
United announces "MileagePlus Miles Never Expire" (effective immediately)

Archive thread: Consolidated "How to Keep/Refresh Expiring Miles" Thread [ARCHIVE]

If you want to keep all your existing miles, and thus want some new miles to post quickly and reliably, here are some ways, from cheapest to most expensive:
  1. Book an award ticket and then cancel at no cost within 24 hours.
  2. If you have a United credit card, downgrade it to the no fee version that gives 1 mile/$2 and use it every so often. Will help with aging as well which is good for your credit score.
  3. Dining option still works (as of May 22, 2014). Posted to United in about 3 weeks after activity. I think it is one of the easiest options. No need to even take survey if you dont want extra survey points. I didn't do it.
  4. Buy a gift card and trade it to United for miles. See http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/21020349-post702.html for an example that cost $15, and resulted in miles posting in under 24 hours. If you are not a U.S. resident, then buy an acceptable gift card on eBay and ask seller to email you the gift card number and pin. The gift card can be purchased with anyone's credit card (or cash) and applied to anyone's M+ number (name on credit card and M+ account need not match). It is not known if e-gift cards work. Physical gift cards known to work are:
    • Buffalo Wild Wings (available for as low as $15 at Walgreens pharmacy). Note this card did not have a pin. Leaving the pin field empty in the submission worked fine.

2013 Update: - Ref, Ref
      - Online bought GCs (i.e. e GCs) are not working successfully - Failed: Walmart, Lowes, NewEgg
      - Store bought cards that worked recently as per some members: Buffalo Wild Wings, Target
  5. Buy miles directly from United. http://www.ualmiles.com/PersonalMile...Personal+Miles. The minimum purchase is about $75.
  6. Mileage activity from third parties -- rental car, hotels, .... -- look for previously not posted activity
  7. Buy a ticket on united.com, and once it tickets, purchase award maximizer. Look for a flight with a short distance, such as COS/DEN to keep the award maximizer cost low. Miles will post in under 24 hours. Cancel ticket within 24 hours to get a full refund.
    2013 Update: Ref, Ref
    This seems to be the simplest way to do it for low cost, without much running around or waiting or donating miles.
    - Bought an IAH > Austin ticket for 69/79 $.
    - Went back in to change/ modify ticket reservation and then Award Acc was offered - 500 miles for 17$. Bought it.
    - Miles posted in few hours. Cancelled the ticket. Refund to Visa card pending.

Note: Buy any low cost short distance ticket, go back in and buy award accelerator and then cancel in 24 hr after award miles post. .
  8. Make a purchase using MileagePlus X – Shopping App to Earn Additional Award Miles / Introducing MileagePlusX -- miles reportedly post very quickly. Doesn't work if the name on credit card doesn't match the name on the M+ account.
  9. Originally Posted by SilverGoat
    Another option if you are in he United States is with BP gas stations with their BP Driver Rewards program. They give at least 1 mile per gallon. Signing up is free and the miles post instantly.

Have a look here: https://www.mybpstation.com/united
Using miles for travel or upgrades or UC subscription is a mileage activity that will also reset the expiration. However those worried about expiration tend not to be regular travelers, so some not travel mileage uses for resetting expiration date are
  1. Magazine subscriptions
  2. Charitable giving
  3. Mileage Purchases -- generally a poor use of miles
If your miles have expired, there are a couple of ways to re-instate the lost miles
  1. Reinstatement Miles for a fee -- if the expiration is as recent as 18 months ago, roughly 0.5 to 1 cpm.
  2. Find a recent (last 12 months typically) hotel stay or rental car credit that has not yet been posted. If the date was prior to expiration that should reinstate the expired miles.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "How to Keep/Refresh Expiring Miles" Thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2018, 11:26 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by beltway
Dining miles. They may take a couple of weeks to post, but they will retroactively revive any expired miles. I speak from personal experience on this point.
Originally Posted by jsloan
MileagePlus X app. The miles post instantly.
500 mile charity donation if none of the above are applicable

Magazine subscriptions starting at 500 miles
jsloan likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 11:56 pm

Simplest way to keep expiring miles free of charge immediately

Hi all, I am new to Flyertalk and this is my first post.

My miles are expiring end of September 2018. I booked a refundable hotel in Zhengzhou via the UA app which requires 610 miles per night. My miles are extended for 18 months.

On the confirmation page, I clicked Manage Booking, then cancelled the booking. The miles went back to my account in 2 hours. (It took 15 minutes only in fact). Expiry date remains extended.

Even your miles are not expiring soon, it worths a try!

Last edited by Donkitravel; Sep 14, 2018 at 12:07 am
Old Sep 14, 2018, 12:04 am

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Welcome to FT, Donkitravel
Originally Posted by Donkitravel
My miles are expiring end of September 2018. I book a refundable hotel in Zhengzhou via the UA app which requires 610 miles per night. My miles are extended for 18 months.

On the confirmation page, click Manage Booking, then cancel the booking. The miles go back to your account in 2 hours. Expiry date remains extended.
Check back in a few days, UA closed a similar loophole -- believe it was make an award booking and cancel within 24 hours for free.
Expiration initially extended and then reportedly restored to original date a few days later.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 12:10 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Welcome to FT, Donkitravel
Check back in a few days, UA closed a similar loophole -- believe it was make an award booking and cancel within 24 hours for free.
Expiration initially extended and then reportedly restored to original date a few days later.
Thanks. I will report back.

Update: As of today (10 October), expiry date remains 31 March 2020.

Last edited by Donkitravel; Oct 11, 2018 at 6:08 pm Reason: Update!
Old Sep 19, 2018, 12:43 am

As of today, the expiry date remains the extended date, i.e. 31 March 2020.

It does not make any sense if they are talking about ‘activity’ in their terms if they revert back the expiry date to the original. I can book a hotel which allows free cancellation (activity occurs) to stay almost a year later, say late-August 2019. My miles is extended immediately. By August 2019 before I cancel the hotel booking, I may have already exhausted the miles! ^^

Old Oct 21, 2018, 12:59 am

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Gold
UA Miles Expiration

Hi all- hope I am posting this in the right spot. I didn't see a "Newbie" forum for UA but I figured the "simple question" title description was probably the same thing?

Here is the situation I am in- I haven't flown UA in awhile and realized my miles are expiring EOY. I am going to be traveling for Thanksgiving and at least once around Christmas. However, I have looked at the UA flights around this time and they are a good chunk more than either AA or Delta (I have lowest tier status with AA and none with Delta but the most miles on them), so don't know if i can justify this.

As far as I can tell my options are:
1) Lose the miles (would prefer not to do this)
2) Same as #1 but "rebuy" for $150
3) Go on a mileage run
4) Suck it up and pay the higher fare
5) Book a hotel through UA (can't tell if this would preserve my exisgint miles or not- you do get miles from doing this though according to UA) - this would be the cheapest and my top option if allowed. I can prob get one for next to nothing and get my Marriott points simult.
6) Buy more miles outright (I don't know if this would preserve miles either, just like #5 )

Do you know if #5 or #6 is an option or if there any other recs?

Thanks!

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 21, 2018 at 1:09 am Reason: moved to master thread
Old Oct 21, 2018, 1:22 am

Originally Posted by LD75
5) Book a hotel through UA (can't tell if this would preserve my exisgint miles or not- you do get miles from doing this though according to UA) - this would be the cheapest and my top option if allowed. I can prob get one for next to nothing and get my Marriott points simult.
6) Buy more miles outright (I don't know if this would preserve miles either, just like #5 )

Thanks!
Yes 5 & 6 work -- any mileage activity before expiration works (mileage earning earned before expiration but posted afterwards will also work)
other options -
Earning miles via the MPX app (see wiki for links) can be essentilly free and quick.
Opinion Miles Club surveys are another free option.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 1:27 am

Yes 5 & 6 work -- any mileage activity before expiration works (mileage earning earned before expiration but posted afterwards will also work)
other options -
Earning miles via the MPX app (see wiki for links) can be essentilly free and quick.
Opinion Miles Club surveys are another free option.
Awesome, thanks, so glad I asked. Will do one of these other things you suggested.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 7:23 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Mrs tarheelnj is 1k because of MM companion match, but when flying uses miles from my account. Her account's expiring, so if she books an award trip with her miles (for a trip we might take) and then cancels it if we don't go, will that still push the expiration date?
Old Oct 21, 2018, 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by tarheelnj
Mrs tarheelnj is 1k because of MM companion match, but when flying uses miles from my account. Her account's expiring, so if she books an award trip with her miles (for a trip we might take) and then cancels it if we don't go, will that still push the expiration date?
Likely --- but there were a few past (a couple years) reports that cancelling shortly after booking was not success in reseting the expiration date. Have no guidance on the needed time period to wait.

Seems it might be easier just to occasionally use the miles from the expiring account.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 12:27 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Likely --- but there were a few past (a couple years) reports that cancelling shortly after booking was not success in reseting the expiration date. Have no guidance on the needed time period to wait.

Seems it might be easier just to occasionally use the miles from the expiring account.
Good to know - trip is a month out, so hopefully if we don't go (50/50 chance now) then the date should stay reset.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by LD75
Hi all- hope I am posting this in the right spot. I didn't see a "Newbie" forum for UA but I figured the "simple question" title description was probably the same thing?

Here is the situation I am in- I haven't flown UA in awhile and realized my miles are expiring EOY. I am going to be traveling for Thanksgiving and at least once around Christmas. However, I have looked at the UA flights around this time and they are a good chunk more than either AA or Delta (I have lowest tier status with AA and none with Delta but the most miles on them), so don't know if i can justify this.

As far as I can tell my options are:
1) Lose the miles (would prefer not to do this)
2) Same as #1 but "rebuy" for $150
3) Go on a mileage run
4) Suck it up and pay the higher fare

Thanks!

Hi, you may refer to #275 posted by me. I can tell that UA does not revert back the expiry date of my miles. As of today, my miles are extended to end of March 2020.

If you still worry if they will revert the expiry date back to original, simply book a very cheap refundable hotel for stay in Oct 2019, cancel it only after you have used up most of the miles.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 8:51 am
Original Member

Location: Tucson, Southern Arizona, North America, Western Hemisphere, The Earth, a small planet in the solar system. Previously OnePass Infinite Platinum Elite, now over entitled 1K
After receiving an email informing that wife's 44K miles were to expire in January I went to united.com and explored MileagePlus shopping. Using a link to Walmart I ordered a $15 item using her MP number to be shipped to store at no additional cost. Within a few days 15 miles were credited to her account and expiration date moved to 2020.

It reminded me that it's time to have her reapply for a Chase MP Explorer card to get the 40K bonus miles!
Old Oct 25, 2018, 11:37 pm

Originally Posted by Donkitravel

Hi, you may refer to #275 posted by me. I can tell that UA does not revert back the expiry date of my miles. As of today, my miles are extended to end of March 2020.

If you still worry if they will revert the expiry date back to original, simply book a very cheap refundable hotel for stay in Oct 2019, cancel it only after you have used up most of the miles.
Good idea on the hotel. I may need to book one before EOY anyway so could just use United for that but if that changes I can book one and cancel, per your suggestion. thanks!
Old Nov 27, 2018, 1:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, IHG Plat Amb, HH Diamond
Award Ticket

I'm not sure if this has been discussed before, its certainly not mentioned in the Wiki. My son has an account where all his miles were set to expire in Dec. I figured I'll purchase the accelerator, however it was too large a cost. I cancelled the Award ticket that I just booked with the intention of booking a shorter trip. Upon cancellation, the expiration date was extended by 18 months. I took a screen shot of the new date. Is this in fact a way to extend the date for no cost?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.