Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Gold/Plat Int'l Upgrade Success Stories

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2015, 2:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat*G | SPG G | Mar GE

I'm guessing these are few and far between with so many 1K's and GS's on int'l flights, but curious to hear from other UA Gold/Plats who've had upgrades clear.

As a Plat, I've only had them clear on flights to Mex. Any success stories when flying across either pond (either miles + cash or buy up)?

And GO!

PS - bonus points for stories about the ORD-HKG route, which I fly most frequently and are NEVER successful from what I understand.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 2:13 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Silver, Hertz
I actually got upgraded on my most recent flight home from LHR to EWR at the end of 2014 as a Plat. Coach was oversold and I got the last BF seat.

I didn't even know I had been upgraded until I went to scan my boarding pass. The GA said Happy Friday Mrs. jtwiz, you've been upgraded. It was indeed a Happy Friday (after a horrific business trip that involved 4 countries, 4 hotels in 6 days..) Before this, my last upgrade on a trans-Atlantic flight had to be at least 10 years ago.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
As a gold/plat I've been 100% for SFO/ORD-HKG, because I book where R is available.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 2:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by mduell
As a gold/plat I've been 100% for SFO/ORD-HKG, because I book where R is available.
Haha I'm learning that lesson on that route for my flight next thursday....

For me, before 1K as a Plat in 2012, I was able to use miles/cash connecting out of ORD to Europe, but that time I smartly looked for "R" availability beforehand...
Old Jan 9, 2015, 2:46 pm

Do you book really close to the flight? Even if R is showing it can go away fast right?

Also are you paying to upgrade?
Old Jan 9, 2015, 3:12 pm

Programs: UA Plat
Last year, I used miles and money and successfully upgraded:

LAX-SYD
SYD-SFO
EWR-LHR (but not the return)
CDG-ORD (but not the way out)

The two previous years, also as a plat, I headed to SIN twice and successful upgraded through NRT several times.

For me, it's a combination of booking when there is R space available, traveling on off-days, and keeping an eye out for R opening up shortly before the flight.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 3:14 pm

Programs: UA Silver
I got an op up on Christmas Eve LHR-IAH. The best thing UA did for me all year.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 3:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat*G | SPG G | Mar GE
I try! But whenever I fly over to Shenzhen, it's for a specific period of time so I don't have much flexibility. Maybe I'll try to make flying during the week work to better my miles+ cash chances.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 3:47 pm

Programs: UA Silver / FA
Got upgraded on EZE-EWR x-mas 2012 as.. wait for it.. a SILVER. The guy next to me was also op-upped and he was a Gold.

Luckily EZE-IAH was cancelled the night before, and Y was WAY oversold.

BF was wide open, and I asked the gate agent for an upgrade, and she said no. 15 min later she called me up to the gate and gave me a BF seat.

Moral of the story: Always ask for it, you never know.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by olouie
Do you book really close to the flight? Even if R is showing it can go away fast right?

No, far out.

Miles+copay
Old Jan 9, 2015, 4:09 pm

Programs: UA Gold, US, AA, DL
I am Gold and successfully upgraded SYD-LAX on a Wednesday in September using miles and cash. I knew I wanted to upgrade, so I chose an itinerary with R space available at the time of booking. I agree with those upthread who have mentioned various ways to maximize the likelihood of an upgrade.

Most of my international travel has been with friends who don't want to upgrade and I've wanted to stay with them, so I've only unsuccessfully attempted to upgrade once.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 4:09 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Originally Posted by olouie

If R space disappears within 24 hours after you book but before you can get the upgrade, you can cancel without penalty and try again once you find R space on another flight.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 5:56 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
I think we're trying to figure out if this is an op-up or instrument-supported upgrade thread
Old Jan 11, 2015, 6:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hertz 5-star, Marriott Gold
I upgraded BOM-EWR twice last year with miles+copay, both times clearing about two days before the flight. On the second time my wife was with me and we were both able to upgrade. This is as a plat.
Old Jan 11, 2015, 7:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
IIRC mileage upgrades have priority over GPUs/RPUs so unless a GS or 1K is also using miles, lower tier elites will trump them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.