Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions (with Wiki) {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2015, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This wiki was created to distill SDC (and related standby) down to a set of rules in the hopes of benefiting others.

The official "rules" can be found here. In practice, some of the rules almost always apply, and some are more flexible.

Note there have been reports of SDC to one segment removing confirmed CPU upgrades on downline segments. If maintaining the confirmed upgrade is important then these changes should be handled with care.

Most Frequently Asked Question: When do I call/go online to make the change?
Follow this flowchart:
Question 1: Are you within 24 hours of your currently scheduled UA(*) operated flight that you're trying to change off of? If yes, continue to Question 2. If no, continue to answer 1.
Question 2: Are you within 24 hours of the first UA operated flight you're trying to change on to? If yes, continue to to Answer 2. If no, continue to Answer 1.
Answer 1: No, you cannot call/go online yet to make an SDC.
Answer 2: Yes, then you can call/go online to make an SDC.

General Baseline Rules

These are the general rules that usually apply to SDC's; falling outside these rules usually requires payment of a full change fee and the fare difference:
  • The departure time of the first segment of the old itinerary and the departure time of the first segment of the new itinerary must both be within 24 hours of the moment that the change is made.
  • Only applies to UA/UX operated flights, domestic or international. Changing from a non-UA operated to UA operated may be possible.
  • The ultimate origin and destination airports must remain the same.
  • Routing can be changed (addition, deletion, or change of connection points) but the routing rules of the original fare usually apply.
  • All remaining unflown segments in single fared itinerary are considered together (i.e., if you're flying WWW-XXX-YYY-ZZZ, you can go to a kiosk at XXX and potentially fly XXX-AAA-ZZZ or XXX-ZZZ direct).
  • SDC can be done an unlimited number of times, and can therefore be used to extend a trip indefinitely (pending availability).
  • SDC costs $75 for Members and Silvers - the fee is waived for Golds and up (plus any applicable fare difference, see below). *G's may also get free SDC, although there is no mention of this in the official rules. Once in-route, fees for an earlier connecting flight may be waived per GG SDC Line 118.
  • Non-elites on the same PNR benefit from any waived fees for SDC.
  • No fare difference is charged so long as there is availability on all of the new segments in the originally ticketed fare class. Fare class availability in all classes often opens up after T-24 and almost always opens up at T-3 unless the plane is very full.
  • SDC on bulk tickets, including United Specials, is not permitted.
  • SDC is permitted on both domestic and international itineraries.

How to SDC

SDC can be accomplished in a few different places (in rough order of likelihood of being able to get the rules bent):
  • United mobile app
  • Kiosk
  • Phone
  • On united.com, right now only the "Search Other Flight Options" button during On-Line Check-In (OLCI) works. This has spotty availability, particularly if the change would involve paying an additional fare due to fare bucket non-availability.
  • Counter/Gate (although reports are that most airport agents are not familiar with the SDC policy and may not allow you to SDC to a valid itinerary--you can try to direct them to look up GG SDC, but they often won't understand that what you're trying to do is permitted by those rules)
Please note that the United.com “change flight” link before checking in within T-24, is broken. The website may not show all available options and will often attempt to collect the change fee rather than the SDC fee (if any).

NB: An SDC where the original itinerary (in one direction) has three or more segments cannot be done online.

Nuances and Loose Rules

Now for the hard part: figuring out where the flexibility is in the rules. This list is compiled from the responses to people saying "Can I do X?" where X is something that is not clearly permitted by the rules. One's likelihood of success here depends a bit on the method used for the SDC.

For each item, the following codes apply:
Y = officially permitted and possible using any method
A = not permitted but perhaps possible using an agent (phone/counter), perhaps having to HUACA
A* = mixed reports of success with an agent (phone/counter),
N* = possible only if you find a very accommodating agent
N = little or no reported success.
  • Violating various non-routing fare rules (day/time, minimum stay, etc.): Y
  • Change destination to ultra-close airport (see the old S*FAR/STANDBY): A
  • Change destination to a co-terminal: N*
  • Change destination to an entirely different place: N
  • Change itinerary at the beginning to include illegal layovers (> 4 hours): N*
  • Change itinerary at the layover point (using kiosk, app, or agent) to create an otherwise illegal layover: Y
  • Change itinerary at the beginning to add a layover point not permitted by the routing rules: N*
  • Change itinerary at a layover point to add another layover not permitted (either in terms of number of segments or routing rules) by the routing rules: Y
  • Change to a flight exactly 24 hours before or after the original flight: N*
  • Change to a flight exactly 24 hours before the original flight, if the previous day's flight has been delayed: Y (based on one report)
  • Combining separately-fared segments to do SDC (e.g. XXX-YYY+YYY-ZZZ -> XXX-ZZZ): A
  • Change UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment to UA metal: A
  • Change from UA metal to UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment: N (see post 1813 for one exception)
  • Change from UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment to a different UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment: ??
  • Change on a non-UA ticketed segment: N* (with potential dire consequences)
  • Change from an upgraded flight into Y on the new flight: Y
  • Change from a GPU-upgraded flight into J/F on the new flight: A
  • Change from a CPU-upgraded flight and get confirmed into available R space on the new flight: N*
  • Change from an instrument-upgraded flight and get confirmed into available R space on the new flight: A*
  • Non-elite on different PNR benefiting from Elite's waived-fee SDC: A
  • Change at origin airport after tendering a checked bag: N
  • Change at layover airport when a bag has been checked: N

If you encounter issues with an agent (phone or counter/gate), you can ask the agent to reference GG SDC. Additionally, GG SDC line 61 specifically references that fare classes are supposed to level out 3.5 hours before departure, so you might be able to use that to your advantage if fare classes have not leveled out and you're trying to ask an agent to open up the correct inventory or force you onto the flight.

Note -- as of 11/27/2017: A datapoint indicates that UA may have updated its GG rule regarding leveling out to state the following:

Code:
EVERYDAY AWARD AND REVENUE BUCKETS ARE TO LEVEL OUT WITHIN 2H OF DEPARTURE
Standby
You may stand by if seats are not available in the purchased fare class. In these cases, the same-day change fee will apply, but will not be charged unless you are assigned a seat on your alternate flight. Changes in routing are not allowed when standing by. Standby may be requested on the day of departure at an airport kiosk or with a United representative at the airport. Once you are added to the flight standby list, you can check your real-time standby status at united.com/flightstatus or on your mobile device at mobile.united.com/info.

Instead of paying a same-day change discounted fee, can I stand by for my desired flight for free?
No. The only time you may standby for free is when the fare does not have any penalties for making changes, or when standing by involuntarily due to a flight irregularity.

Can I pay the same-day change discount fee with cash?
Cash will only be accepted by a United airport representative when the change is available to be confirmed, not for standby travel.

original posting by mgcsinc, initiated by jackal

Previous threads:
UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions *now with WikiPost* {pre-2015 Archive}
Print Wikipost

UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions (with Wiki) {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2018, 9:12 am

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by nobodyherebutme

UA733 to SEA

UA733 to SFO

Don't know if it's the same bug, but the app was showing UA733 as going from DEN-SEA as well as UA733 from DEN-SFO. There is no way I would have figured out the error from the information provided.
That is definitely the same bug, and an excellent example of a case where even a somewhat experience traveler would make that mistake. I would never have seen that at first if you didn't point that out (until I got my boarding passes)
Old Aug 7, 2018, 9:24 am

Programs: UA GS, 1MM; Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by FlyngSvyr
On a G fare? Not really. If it was an L, maybe but even that would be tricky.
The problem is that you are trying to roll an SDC going from a Hub to a spoke. If it was hub-hub, there would be more capacity and it would be more likely to work.

When i look at strange SDC's or routes I am not used to I always try to wargame it in advance. Since you are not taking the flight for a month and a half, you could use expert mode and simulate that you are checking in at T-24 this week and see what SDC options are available. Then you can simulate that you scanned your boarding pass @ LAX and see what options might be available from that point & so on.

Barring special situations along the way (big events & IRROPS) I find these "usually" simulate what one might encounter as far as SDC options. Not perfect, but better than flying blind.
This is great advice. You only need to hit the lottery a couple times, and dont forget that you can change to a EWR-IAD/ORD-CLT routing, which might increase your chance of success. But definitely game-plan well ahead of that week. Also, look at loads for all the options, and give it a go.
T
Old Aug 7, 2018, 11:01 am

Is there some type of married segment logic going into SDC now?

GRR-EWR - Y9 all the way down.
EWR-IND - shows Q1.

GRR-EWR-IND - U1 (same flights). Called UA and they seen the same thing (U available, not Q).

Last edited by BThumme; Aug 7, 2018 at 11:15 am
Old Aug 7, 2018, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BThumme
Is there some type of married segment logic going into SDC now?
Yes, and there always has been. You need available inventory on your target flights. I'm actually somewhat surprised that UA would marry GRR-EWR and EWR-IND inventory, but given that they have, SDC will honor it.

If you were already in EWR, or if the app were offering options that don't have married inventory (e.g., something like the LAX-EWR-SFO things people sometimes report), then the underlying inventory would be used.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by jsloan
Yes, and there always has been. You need available inventory on your target flights. I'm actually somewhat surprised that UA would marry GRR-EWR and EWR-IND inventory, but given that they have, SDC will honor it.

If you were already in EWR, or if the app were offering options that don't have married inventory (e.g., something like the LAX-EWR-SFO things people sometimes report), then the underlying inventory would be used.
There is target availability on the flights I want, if I look separately - maybe I misspoke. GRR-EWR is wide open, no issues there. EWR-IND is W1. I need Q, so there is at least Q1 on both. 2.5 hour connection, so no stopover issue.

Yet expertflyer (and ua) both tell me there is only U1 available, so I'm not presented an option to change.

edit: I think you agreed with what I said, now that I've reread your post.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BThumme
There is target availability on the flights I want, if I look separately - maybe I misspoke. GRR-EWR is wide open, no issues there. EWR-IND is W1. I need Q, so there is at least Q1 on both. 2.5 hour connection, so no stopover issue.

Yet expertflyer (and ua) both tell me there is only U1 available, so I'm not presented an option to change.

edit: I think you agreed with what I said, now that I've reread your post.
Sorry, yes, I don't think I was very clear, but we do agree.

I'm surprised that they'd marry inventory on GRR-EWR-IND, since EWR isn't a valid transfer point on an GRR-IND fare. But, since they have, you do need inventory on the married segments.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 12:01 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, AA PLT, DL Silver
I've got a situation upcoming where SDC would be hugely beneficial for the family but it's a situation I've never tried to execute and I can't find the answer in the wiki or thread.

I have a flight coming up: KWI-FRA-IAD-DFW. First segment is LH, last two are UA. It's a 016 ticket and a C fare. I'm not worried about availability. Hours before boarding in KWI (but within 24 hours of both UA flights), I want to call up UA and SDC the FRA-IAD-DFW to FRA-ORD-DFW, getting into DFW 5+ hours earlier. I don't want to touch the LH segment. I typically would SDC after boarding in KWI, but I have received word that I might need to schlep some stuff back which will require checking a bag. I don't want to get into the SDC game with a checked bag, and would prefer my itinerary be set when I check in at KWI.

Sorry for the trivial question, but I've never had a situation, nor found an analog, where I would like to change subsequent UA segments of an itinerary while skipping the first partner-operated segment.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 12:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by SMFlagg
I've got a situation upcoming where SDC would be hugely beneficial for the family but it's a situation I've never tried to execute and I can't find the answer in the wiki or thread.

I have a flight coming up: KWI-FRA-IAD-DFW. First segment is LH, last two are UA. It's a 016 ticket and a C fare. I'm not worried about availability. Hours before boarding in KWI (but within 24 hours of both UA flights), I want to call up UA and SDC the FRA-IAD-DFW to FRA-ORD-DFW, getting into DFW 5+ hours earlier. I don't want to touch the LH segment. I typically would SDC after boarding in KWI, but I have received word that I might need to schlep some stuff back which will require checking a bag. I don't want to get into the SDC game with a checked bag, and would prefer my itinerary be set when I check in at KWI.

Sorry for the trivial question, but I've never had a situation, nor found an analog, where I would like to change subsequent UA segments of an itinerary while skipping the first partner-operated segment.
its a bad idea. I would never do this with a partner segment in the mix - just too much of a chance for things to go wrong. Also doesn’t fit within SDC rules, as it requires all UA segments, so even an agent might not attempt it.

That said, if you check a bag, automated SDC is off the table, even once you board the last partner flight. Checked bags will disable any SDC options on the app/site. You could try calling UA at that point, who could theoretically probably do it, but might not.

If if you were going to attempt this, I’d try at the transfer desk FRA. With the checked bag, it’s still not a gurantee if space still exists, as they’d have to re-route your checked bags. But it’s oossible they might, as always, YMMV.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 12:16 am

Thanks for the quick response - that was my fear. Might just have to find away to pass off the box of stuff that needs to be moved.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 12:34 am

Thanks for the quick response - that was my fear. Might just have to find away to pass off the box of stuff that needs to be moved.
You might also want to look at seeing what the options are right now to change flights to your desired routing (perhaps you'll even get something more direct?) from the UA website. A colleague of mine needed to push the return segment of an Asian flight he had booked back by about a week. Checking with a UA agent he found it was only going to cost him around $300 USD (incl $293 change fee) and he was booked on P fare (i.e. discount biz). Depending on the fare you purchased the change may cost you little or nothing (i.e. some UA fares waive change fees) + fare difference. Heck, you might even get money back from the transaction if a lower fare bucket has opened up!

Safe Travels,

James
Old Aug 8, 2018, 12:43 am

Great suggestion James - thanks. Will give them a shout in the coming days and see what I can do.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 3:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's a 016 ticket and a C fare.
Originally Posted by j2simpso
You might also want to look at seeing what the options are right now to change flights to your desired routing (perhaps you'll even get something more direct?) from the UA website.
Great suggestion James - thanks. Will give them a shout in the coming days and see what I can do.
What James said -- except, don't use the website; the Change Flights functionality isn't particularly reliable. If this a corporate trip, reach out to your travel office; if you booked it yourself, call. If you are in KWI now, note that Skype and Google Voice will both allow you to call 800#s at no charge via WiFi.

Assuming that this is the return of an ex-DFW flight, and you're actually on a C fare, as stated (retail RT price -- ~$12K plus taxes) -- your ticket is almost certainly fully changeable with no fee, provided C availability exists on the target flights. You can do this now, if your plans are firm, or five hours before the flight, if that's the time that works for you. But don't try to do it as an SDC -- it's just a regular, run-of-the-mill change on a fare with no change fee.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 3:58 am

Originally Posted by jsloan
What James said -- except, don't use the website; the Change Flights functionality isn't particularly reliable. If this a corporate trip, reach out to your travel office; if you booked it yourself, call. If you are in KWI now, note that Skype and Google Voice will both allow you to call 800#s at no charge via WiFi.
Forgot to mention that tidbit. The online change feature only works well if you've got a simple itinerary (i.e. all flights operated by UA/UX, in the same fare category). My friend had an all UA/UX itinerary but unfortunately one of the segments was in Y since it was a single cabin aircraft. He had to call into UA to get the itinerary he wanted since the online change feature only suggested options with *A partners (not all UA/UX which he needed to tick the 4 segment requirement).

As a general guideline, I'd recommend doing some searches using United's Expert mode from KWI to DFW noting the available fare buckets for each segment. Generally speaking if you can find availability in the same fare buckets on the new itinerary as in the old itinerary (i.e. positive space in C) then in general you won't be paying any stinking fare difference or if you do the amount will be nominal. For instance, here's one such available itinerary from KWI to DFW I could find in C for September 2:

As you can see the flight is showing 4 seats available in the C bucket for each segment KWI -> FRA and FRA -> DFW. This also happens to be the best possible way to get back to DFW, minimizing both time and connections. In theory if you wanted you could call UA and ask them to quote you how much it would cost to switch to this sort of flight. Supposing you're in C you'd just be looking at a fare difference which in this example should be minimal... Oh and yes UA is more than happy to dump your entire itinerary onto an entirely *A partner operated flights, it happens all the time! Sometimes you'll even get a fare refund if the *A partner is offering the fare for less! You'll still be earning PQD since it's ticketed on UA stock. Award milage and PQM earning should be unchanged by such a move as well. The only downside I see with such an approach is if you're short on the 4 segment requirement when travelling on UA to re-qualify to your desired Premier level which given your travel habits I suspect is not the case.

Safe Travels,

James
Old Aug 10, 2018, 2:16 am

Programs: UA 1K
Looking to use a SDC to extend a layover in GUM currently scheduled for 40 mins into an overnight to get 24 hours to see a little of the place.

Booked flight is GUM-HNL in a few weeks time in W leaving 7am. I will only have a short window of time to make changes so I want to get my strategy sorted ahead of time.

Every flight to Tokyo shows W0 when I search through expertflyer. However, when I search my full itinerary GUM-XX1-XX2-YYC where XX1 is either NRT or HNL and XX2 is SFO/DEN/ORD/IAH I’m seeing plenty of W space. Which will be the determining factor in being able to make the SDC, flight by flight availability or the entire route?

if plan A doesn’t work, the island hopper leaving at 8:20am shows lots of W space as of today. If this flight has space is there any issues changing to it? Or is it just like any other flight? Plan B is to SDC onto the island hopper, then SDC again to the next days HNL/NRT flight which is now within 24 hours.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by david_oz
Every flight to Tokyo shows W0 when I search through expertflyer. However, when I search my full itinerary GUM-XX1-XX2-YYC where XX1 is either NRT or HNL and XX2 is SFO/DEN/ORD/IAH I’m seeing plenty of W space. Which will be the determining factor in being able to make the SDC, flight by flight availability or the entire route?

Availability from the point at which you make the change to your destination. So, if you are making the change after departing your origin city, it'll be GUM-hub-hub-YYC.

Originally Posted by david_oz
if plan A doesn’t work, the island hopper leaving at 8:20am shows lots of W space as of today. If this flight has space is there any issues changing to it? Or is it just like any other flight? Plan B is to SDC onto the island hopper, then SDC again to the next days HNL/NRT flight which is now within 24 hours.
I'm not speaking from experience, but provided there's W availability on GUM-(hopper)-HNL-hub-YYC, it shouldn't be any different than any other flight, except that your fare rules will include a surcharge for traveling on it. The app would almost definitely ignore that surcharge, and an agent probably would also, but UA would be within their rights to ask for it. You'd have to check your fare rules, but the last time I looked, it was US$500.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.