Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2015]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2015]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2015, 8:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Kmxu
My understanding was that the AC flight was delayed by seven hours. When UA rebooked OP to AC, he became AC's customer. In this sense, OP was entitled for compensation from AC.
As per the OP:

"A couple of weeks ago I was to travel PEK->EWR->YYZ. The PEK->EWR segment is on UA, EWR->YYZ was to be on AC (the entire ticket was booked on United)."
Old Nov 10, 2015, 7:46 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Compensation Due?

Spouse in paid F from East Coast->West Coast->HNL. Plane now mechanical on West Coast and spouse to be placed in Y. What compensation is due because of the downgrade?

Thanks!
Old Nov 10, 2015, 7:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Did your spouse voluntarily take the change? I believe United will put you in the same cabin as there is availability, but that might not be for a while. If he/she voluntarily took it, then no comp.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 7:51 pm
Moderator: United Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by 747FC
Spouse in paid F from East Coast->West Coast->HNL. Plane now mechanical on West Coast and spouse to be placed in Y. What compensation is due because of the downgrade? ...
Return of fare difference and hopefully some customer service comp for the MX / time delays.
No GG OVS DOWNGRADE comp.

One option is waiting for the next available F seat --- but the choice is timely travel vs F seat.
Alternative carrier might be another option but expect push back.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Return of fare difference and hopefully some customer service comp for the MX / time delays.
No GG OVS DOWNGRADE comp.

One option is waiting for the next available F seat --- but the choice is timely travel vs F seat.
Alternative carrier might be another option but expect push back.
Thanks, WineCountryUA. That is what I thought. What is the GG OVS?
Old Nov 10, 2015, 8:44 pm
Moderator: United Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Thanks, WineCountryUA. That is what I thought. What is the GG OVS?
GG OVS DOWNGRADE is the compensation instructions for agents in the case of downgrade due to oversells.
See http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ation-etc.html .
Old Nov 10, 2015, 11:23 pm

Originally Posted by BThumme
Did your spouse voluntarily take the change? I believe United will put you in the same cabin as there is availability, but that might not be for a while. If he/she voluntarily took it, then no comp.
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
GG OVS DOWNGRADE is the compensation instructions for agents in the case of downgrade due to oversells.
See http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ation-etc.html .
Thanks, folks. Spouse finally ended up in same cabin after all. What a hassle flying can be...
Old Nov 11, 2015, 10:28 pm

Programs: AA Gold, *G
Appropriate compensation for delay, forced overnight, and missed connection

Hi UA flyers -

I was delayed from ORD-HKG (9/20) due to aircraft maintenance and subsequent crew change. The delay ended up being around 5 hours, forced an overnight in HKG, and caused a missed connection (separate ticket, but *A on Thai). These tickets were Aeroplan (AC) awards. I am *G with A3.

My family and I were booked for ORD-HKG on the first ticket, then HKG-BKK on another. We originally had 3 hours to connect in HKG. But the delay led to the missed connection from HKG-BKK. Upon arrival into HKG at around 2300 local time, UA had not made hotel arrangements for us in HKG (due to separate reservation). Neither Aeroplan nor Thai Airways were helpful in waiving change fees even though a *A partner was involved.

The agent at the ORD UA club tried her best to assure me that hotel arrangements would be made. She also suggested that I keep all my receipts and write UA after to seek compensation because Aeroplan and Thai would not budge on the change fees.

Change fees and the hotel airport reservation ended up amounting to 700 USD. I documented everything the best I could and wrote UA at the end of the trip. Today, I receive a email to choose the compensation - 5 K UA miles or a $100 UA gift cert.

Is this in line with what UA offers when such delays happen? I feel that this is a bit low and had hoped that UA would cut a check for the 700 USD in expenses.

I know that having two separate reservations complicated the hotel arrangements. But I don't see any other way I could've booked the trip. We booked the tickets to HKG first then decided to go to Thailand as well so it was naturally on a separate reservation.

Thanks!
Old Nov 11, 2015, 10:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by gnof
But the delay led to the missed connection from HKG-BKK. Upon arrival into HKG at around 2300 local time, UA had not made hotel arrangements for us in HKG (due to separate reservation). Neither Aeroplan nor Thai Airways were helpful in waiving change fees even though a *A partner was involved.
Sorry, but there's no protection on separate tickets in *A. That's the risk of booking separate tickets.

(Just read more carefully) Comp sounds low for a five hour delay. But they're not going to be responsible for the missed connection or any of the consequential loss.

Last edited by Kacee; Nov 11, 2015 at 10:43 pm
Old Nov 11, 2015, 10:35 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by gnof
Hi UA flyers -

I was delayed from ORD-HKG (9/20) due to aircraft maintenance and subsequent crew change. The delay ended up being around 5 hours, forced an overnight in HKG, and caused a missed connection (separate ticket, but *A on Thai). These tickets were Aeroplan (AC) awards. I am *G with A3.

Change fees and the hotel airport reservation ended up amounting to 700 USD. I documented everything the best I could and wrote UA at the end of the trip. Today, I receive a email to choose the compensation - 5 K UA miles or a $100 UA gift cert.

Is this in line with what UA offers when such delays happen? I feel that this is a bit low and had hoped that UA would cut a check for the 700 USD in expenses.

I know that having two separate reservations complicated the hotel arrangements. But I don't see any other way I could've booked the trip. We booked the tickets to HKG first then decided to go to Thailand as well so it was naturally on a separate reservation.

Thanks!
What you're being offered sounds about par for the course, considering you don't have any status with United. Aegean Airlines status doesn't count for much on UA, beyond lounge access. And there is little chance that UA would cut you a check for $700 based on the experiences documented in this thread.

Perhaps if you get a $100 credit per traveler, you'll together get the cost of the hotel overnight, and a bit toward the change fees. If they are offering you $100 in total, be sure to remind them that there were multiple tickets involved (how many, btw?) and suggest that $100 per ticket should be provided.
Old Nov 11, 2015, 10:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
A three hour connection on the other side of the world to a different ticket is inherently risky. I'd never do it. I suspect if you posed the question on FT, 90% would recommend against it.

Sorry you got stuck.

Last edited by goalie; Nov 12, 2015 at 7:49 am Reason: image removed
Old Nov 11, 2015, 10:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Unfortunately as you had separate tickets as far as UA is concerned HKG was your final destination and there would be no hotel at your final destination. And for the Thai ticket, as far as they are concerned that would be your origination so no hotel. And as you missed your flight you would be responsible for the new/changed ticket. As stated above, there is no protection when on separate tickets. You took a gamble and this time it did not pan out. Also as stated above, you may get something for the 5 hour delay, but that is about it.
Old Nov 11, 2015, 10:59 pm

Programs: AA Gold, *G
Thank you all for the quick feedback!

transportprof - In total, 3 tickets were involved. I'll definitely try to get 3*$100.

Yeah, I knew I was taking a chance with the 3 hour connection when I booked them. First time doing this kind of connection on separate tix and I guess I had been lucky in the past with flights. Will definitely have longer connections with separate reservations in the future!

Last edited by goalie; Nov 12, 2015 at 7:50 am Reason: reference to image deleted in prior post removed
Old Nov 11, 2015, 11:42 pm

UA changed our seats

Today I found that there was a change of plane type for an upcoming flight. Looked at seats that were assigned us, and did not like, so found two that were more to our liking. Just logged back on and checked the seat chart and found that UA changed our seats to a worse option than our initial ones.

Any possibility for compensation? Thanks.
Old Nov 11, 2015, 11:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Today I found that there was a change of plane type for an upcoming flight. Looked at seats that were assigned us, and did not like, so found two that were more to our liking. Just logged back on and checked the seat chart and found that UA changed our seats to a worse option than our initial ones.

Any possibility for compensation? Thanks.
Have you taken the flight yet? If not keep trying to change and try again at the airport. Seat assignments are not guaranteed and if you haven't flown yet there would be nothing to compensate you for. And even if you have flown, unless you paid extra for those specific types of seats, such as purchasing E+ seats, there would be no compensation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.