Wiki Posts
Search

Advice on Upgrades to South America

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2014, 1:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA, AA, Delta, SW
Advice on Upgrades to South America

I've been searching the United website for upgrades using miles from the US to South America, and can't get anything to come up - even with changing departure cities, class of fare (full fare economy, etc.), dates/schedule, etc.

Any advice on scoring an upgrade to SA? Does United sell all of its business first seats to South America, so there is no need for them to make seats available for upgrade?

Thanks in advance for your insider intelligence.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 1:34 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, CM Presidential / *A Gold, Hertz 5*
Fly with Copa if possible - as long as ur travel is before 1st July 2015
Old Dec 30, 2014, 3:04 pm

Programs: UA-1K, Hertz-Gold, Marriott-Gold, PC-Platinum, SPG
Originally Posted by pmarrsouth
Fly with Copa if possible - as long as ur travel is before 1st July 2015
Why Copa?
Old Dec 30, 2014, 3:24 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, CM Presidential / *A Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by lax2010
Why Copa?
They seem to upgrade as many elites (silver+) as possible before selling/auctioning the remaining seats in first. Pretty good product too
Old Dec 30, 2014, 4:05 pm

Programs: UA-1K, Hertz-Gold, Marriott-Gold, PC-Platinum, SPG
They seem to upgrade as many elites (silver+) as possible before selling/auctioning the remaining seats in first. Pretty good product too
Were you talking about CPU? Thx.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 4:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by kenpasadena
I've been searching the United website for upgrades using miles from the US to South America, and can't get anything to come up - even with changing departure cities, class of fare (full fare economy, etc.), dates/schedule, etc.
R inventory is difficult to find systemwide. If it's not available, you just have to put in the miles and hope it clears.

Fly with Copa if possible
And fly the equivalent of domestic F to South America? No thanks.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by lax2010
Were you talking about CPU? Thx.
yes
Old Dec 30, 2014, 7:45 pm

where are you trying to fly to, and from where? search for R space from IAH (not your departure airport). i travel to EZE once or twice a year, i am flexible with the dates, and i score an instant upgrade every time (R is available available at booking). but you have to look almost 300 days in advance and check often. IN is much harder to find IME. SCL was showing some decent R recently. GRU is possibly the easiest (at least from IAD). bottom line, be flexible, check often and far in advance.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 8:04 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
And fly the equivalent of domestic F to South America? No thanks.
Versus not going at all, or in economy since R/IN to EZE is all but impossible? I'd rather take CM.

We were able to use CM very effectively for LAX-PTY-BSB and EZE-PTY-LAX. Excellent one stop options and certainly better in J than E+ on UNITED with multiple connections and long layovers. It also would have been very difficult connecting in GRU from UNITED to another airline on a separate ticket to BSB.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 8:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by anc-ord772
Versus not going at all, or in economy since R/IN to EZE is all but impossible? I'd rather take CM.
To each his own. I'd skip the trip. (Though the OP never mentioned EZE, so that's a big assumption.)
Old Dec 30, 2014, 8:11 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
To each his own. I'd skip the trip. (Though the OP never mentioned EZE, so that's a big assumption.)
You mentioned no go on CM. My point, they can be very helpful. You would rather stay home, YMMV. Our friends were glad we could make their wedding.

As for the OP, until we know more it's all assumptions as to destination.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 9:37 pm

Programs: UA GS 2MM
Originally Posted by kenpasadena

Any advice on scoring an upgrade to SA? Does United sell all of its business first seats to South America, so there is no need for them to make seats available for upgrade?
United doesn't sell 100% of its BF seats to LatAm; however, there are certain places that are easier than others to upgrade. Your post is quite nebulous about where you are trying to go, so it's a bit difficult to help with specifics.

Here are your generic options:
  1. If you are an elite member, fly Copa (CM) and connect in Panama City (PTY). This is because all CM flights are eligable for complimentary upgrades for elites, which generally clear. The seats are not lie-flat beds like on some of UA's airplanes, but very adequate given you don't need to pay with cash and miles. You can also upgrade CM flights with miles, which, like complimentary upgrades, will usually clear.
  2. Use Expert Mode on UA.com and find "R" space on a flight you are interested in taking. South America is a huge place and certain flights are a lot easier to upgrade than others. Lima and Sao Paulo are widely available year round; Bogota and Quito are also quite easy to get. Santiago is new, but my guess is that you should have luck on the off days. Buenos Aires is next to impossible and Caracas is impossible.
  3. If you still can't find R space, then buy the flights you want on UA.com. There is a good chance you will be offered a cash upgrade at the time of booking.
  4. If you don't want to pay for the upgrade offered, then waitlist it with miles after booking it.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 11:04 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
About CM/COPA- Pretty good up front

COPA is not a BF product by any stretch of the imagination, but it's far nicer than domestic F. Good food, better seats, power, nice interiors.

Upgrades? I did a miles-based upgrade, SFO-MEX-PTY-LIM, with the last segment not clearing. If it doesn't clear when booked, you have to call in to ask if space is now available; they won't automatically clear it for you. And they make it sound like they're wondering why you call. That's really the only negative thing I have to say about COPA. (Obviously, the remaining segment didn't clear as a complimentary upgrade either).

Well, OK, one more thing. Don't fly through MEX. The COPA desk at MEX is pretty chaotic with very little structure. Also, COPA flights don't appear on any of the screens I could find. But COPA everywhere else and in every other way was a pleasure to fly. You could do far worse!
Originally Posted by Flying Machine
I flew in and out of MEX on CM.. MEX-PTY-SCL-PTY-MEX and had a nice time there. Used the AMEX, and UA Clubs.
My bad. I should have said not to transfer from UA to CM in Mexico City. Different terminal, dealing with CM desk etc. Plus zombie effect (red-eye getting there). We flew all-CM on the return; very nice! Except for the airside near-cavity search at San Salvador between flights. Not CM's fault! Nice lounge though.

Last edited by Mike Jacoubowsky; Dec 31, 2014 at 9:25 am Reason: merge
Old Dec 31, 2014, 7:12 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky
COPA is not a BF product by any stretch of the imagination, but it's far nicer than domestic F. Good food, better seats, power, nice interiors.

Upgrades? I did a miles-based upgrade, SFO-MEX-PTY-LIM, with the last segment not clearing. If it doesn't clear when booked, you have to call in to ask if space is now available; they won't automatically clear it for you. And they make it sound like they're wondering why you call. That's really the only negative thing I have to say about COPA. (Obviously, the remaining segment didn't clear as a complimentary upgrade either).

Well, OK, one more thing. Don't fly through MEX. The COPA desk at MEX is pretty chaotic with very little structure. Also, COPA flights don't appear on any of the screens I could find. But COPA everywhere else and in every other way was a pleasure to fly. You could do far worse!
I flew in and out of MEX on CM.. MEX-PTY-SCL-PTY-MEX and had a nice time there. Used the AMEX, and UA Clubs.. No back to the OP.. CPU on CM is a Steal and will go away for UA Elites later this year. Until then its my choice. I fly to EZE, MVD and SCL quite often. UA to EZE in BF is a Non Rev City and the food and service is underpar compared to CM. Howevee, if its the lie flat seat you are seeking, well you have me on that one. They are nice.. Safe Travels..
Old Dec 31, 2014, 7:28 am

Programs: UA, A3, TK, Marriott, IHG, Hertz
If you have RSUs you can apply it from the US to South America if you are flying with Copa.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.