Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Mileage Award Redemption Reductions - Beware!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2014, 9:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM, UA Gold

UA has a 'sale' for partner flights flown on mileage for Jan-March where the flights are the same redemption levels as UA awards (as opposed to the Star Alliance higher levels).

Had a LH flight in Business class confirmed I'd booked in November - went online to 'change flights' to see if I could get some mileage back and the identical LH flights showed up so I clicked through and saw I'd get a mileage refund.

Clicked 'Confirm and select seats' and the web site crapped out and the original LH flights I'd booked moved to 'waitlisted' so I'd LOST the seats during the reticketing.

On the phone with UA online support to see if anything can be done, but BEWARE doing DIY changes on dot.bomb to save miles!
Old Dec 18, 2014, 11:09 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
A guess is the problem is you are changing / reissuing the ticket due the change of award fare basis (the reduced award type) and in this circumstance if the needed award space is not presently available the ticket reissue will fail for lack of award space.

What is surprising is the flight showed up when there was no award space. That is puzzling.

Will be interesting to hear what UA has to report.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.