Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Holiday Season - gift fight crew?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2014, 3:25 am

Nice to see the holiday cheer here.

The distribution logistics and specific goods to give away seem secondary to me. Acknowledgement of a good flight crew by passengers by this type of gesture can only be a good thing.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 9:36 am

Some crazy posts here. Why should anyone bring a present for an anonymous flight crew member who just does his or her job? I don't get/give presents from/to my clients, even though I know them very well.

And I sincerely hope that none of the flight crew members on my flight ever accept food from a passenger - never, ever!! This would be a concerning security breach if it really happened. My kids have learnt never to accept food from strangers, and I hope the flight crew have learnt the same.

Originally Posted by DBCme
Nice to see the holiday cheer here.

The distribution logistics and specific goods to give away seem secondary to me. Acknowledgement of a good flight crew by passengers by this type of gesture can only be a good thing.
If you want to commend a flight crew member, then write a nice unprompted praise for them to the airline's HR department. From several flight attendants friends of mine I know that, at some airlines, this significantly affects promotion timing and bonuses.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Dec 20, 2014 at 2:17 pm Reason: Merge
Old Dec 20, 2014, 11:16 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by CalFlyer
Some crazy posts here. Why should anyone bring a present for an anonymous flight crew member who just does his or her job? I don't get/give presents from/to my clients, even though I know them very well.

And I sincerely hope that none of the flight crew members on my flight ever accept food from a passenger - never, ever!! This would be a concerning security breach if it really happened. My kids have learnt never to accept food from strangers, and I hope the flight crew have learnt the same.
Not only do I accept food from strangers, most recently at the Kotel in Jerusalem, but I also will eat food off the floor, most recently when an FA dropped a couple of pieces while serving me sushi on my flight from NRT--I quickly grabbed them up and happily ate them!

Amazingly, I am still here!

Please supply some proof that people have been poisoned, sickened, drugged, etc. by accepting food from strangers. This is a non-problem, and an urban myth according to Snopes.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 3:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP 4 MM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
Flight crew, their employers and safety regulators are going to be suspicious of foodstuff distributed by passengers. I imagine it is dumped immediately backs are turned.
I was told by the FAs that as long as it's packaged and sealed they'll eat it. But they won't accept homemade goodies.

Oh, and they also accept donuts from the Dunkin' Donuts at the airport. I bought donuts for an AA crew when I was doing back to back LAXBDL (redeye out with an early am return), noticed the crew always stopped for donuts and coffee before they boarded.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 4:39 pm

Programs: BA Gold,, Marriott Plat
Absolutely the best time to be giving to the crew.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 6:14 pm
Suspended

Thumbs up

^^^
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
Flight crew, their employers and safety regulators are going to be suspicious of foodstuff distributed by passengers. I imagine it is dumped immediately backs are turned.

Distributing gifts of food to complete strangers not in any obvious need of sustenance is always going to appear odd. It clearly says more about the needs of the giver than the receiver.

Giving cash to well-paid workers not normally on the extensive US list of gratuity recipients is bonkers.

I'd suggest that if you want to spread some of your personal good fortune, then there are charities that would be overjoyed to accept the cash equivalent of your largesse.

This anonymous approach is unlikely to appeal to the seigneurial ambition of many gifters.
^^^^^^^^^ I can only imagine what a European crew would say about theese seigneurs behind their back,-my gues is something along the lines of "watch out for the creep in seat...".This is not nice,-its ofensive,but there seems to be loads of North Americans who insists on this sort of weird behaviour,they probably also like paying service workers wages that are sub sustainance in order to be able to make it up by a more personal aproach to renumeration.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 7:10 pm

No wonder united airlines has such mean crew. I'd be mean as well if I had to deal with such a lot of ungrateful humbugs.

I always gift around this time of year -- usually something local and sealed (chocolates, etc). I'm not a big fan of gift cards -- they're fine and dandy, but they feel a bit impersonal to me.

I neither expect or accept any extra service in exchange. Gifting is simply an act of kindness to a stranger, especially at this time of year when they're having the highest load and the many infrequent and pushy travelers.

So throw down neo-marxist ideals for a little bit and just be nice to the flight crew. And at this cold and busy time of the year, give them a little something to brighten up their day.

Originally Posted by geirfugl
I can only imagine what a European crew would say about theese seigneurs behind their back,-my gues is something along the lines of "watch out for the creep in seat...".
At least RO and KL flight crews happily chew through a good box of chocolates. So maybe I'm creepy, or maybe, just maybe, a little Christmas cheer goes a long way.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Dec 20, 2014 at 7:51 pm Reason: merge
Old Dec 20, 2014, 9:19 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
MODERATOR NOTE

This thread is about an appropriate gift to give to a flight crew in appreciation for a year of travel and NOT about politics nor how bitter one may be at United, their crews, service and anything else not related to the subject of this thread

goalie
UA Forum Co-Moderator
Old Dec 20, 2014, 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by geirfugl
I can only imagine what a European crew would say about theese seigneurs behind their back,-my gues is something along the lines of "watch out for the creep in seat...".This is not nice,-its ofensive,but there seems to be loads of North Americans who insists on this sort of weird behaviour,they probably also like paying service workers wages that are sub sustainance in order to be able to make it up by a more personal aproach to renumeration.
LOL. ^^
Old Dec 21, 2014, 9:02 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Billiken
A few years ago I was going to give Starbuck's gift cards to flight crews during an end of year UA mileage run. Called SBUX to order them...was told at that time that the GCs were not valid/accepted at SBUX airport locations. This may have changed.....
I've never had any problems using my Starbucks card - which is really just the same thing as one of their gift cards - at any Airport locations. The "We sell Starbucks coffee" locations don't take them, but any real Starbucks should.

That said, many of the airport locations do have different rules. eg, no free refills with your Starbucks card at most of them...

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 21, 2014 at 11:13 am Reason: repair BBcode
Old Dec 21, 2014, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by warehouse341
I was boarding my flight today and someone brought a box of chocolates for the flight crew. This made me feel a little guilty. Why? The holiday season you typically gift service industry people that have been with you throughout the year (doorman, shuttle/car driver, etc). Should you also gift a flight crew? I know I hardly have the same flight crew but I flew 180k UA miles this year. Which makes it my second home...almost It's seems like I should thank some crew for getting me from point A to B safe and happy most of the time. I did google search and did find topics about this. Some say yes some say no and others say edibles we need to throw out. What does UA think? The flight attendants that recieved the box of chocolates seems surprised and happy.

Any appropriate gift to give to a flight crew in appreciation for a year of travel?
To be entirely fair I am not sure who I can say has been with me 'throughout the year' when I spend most of my time overseas/on airplanes.
I know many cabin crew and I have on many occasions seen them multiple times throughout the year on different flights.
I would say it is perfectly appropriate.
Old Dec 21, 2014, 8:20 pm
sfo

Programs: UA MM *Gold, Accor Silver
I worked in public transit for 40 years and use to receive Christmas goodies from passengers. I always accepted them with a thanks and smile, and at the end of the day they all went into the garbage, it was such a shame, but with all the nuts and crazies out there, there was no way that I was going to eat something given to me by a stranger.
Old Dec 21, 2014, 8:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by sfo
I worked in public transit for 40 years and use to receive Christmas goodies from passengers. I always accepted them with a thanks and smile, and at the end of the day they all went into the garbage, it was such a shame, but with all the nuts and crazies out there, there was no way that I was going to eat something given to me by a stranger.
I would imagine that you would know most of the PAX on the routes that you drive every day though and know which ones are genuinely nice while being able to discern yourself from the crazy people.
(I too have lived in YVR and have seen almost the exact same people on every bus ride. I do not know about SFO though as your name may suggest as I have not lived there, but visited there.)
Old Dec 22, 2014, 12:48 am

Originally Posted by warehouse341
I was boarding my flight today and someone brought a box of chocolates for the flight crew. This made me feel a little guilty.
If I saw that, it would make me feel a little concerned and uneasy. I don't want the flight crew on a plane I'm flying in to eat random things from strangers. Who knows what can be in them.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 5:02 am

Programs: EI Gold Circle, A3 *G, AB Gold & 3rd place East Leinster High Jump (1996)
If folks feel like doing it, then by all means do it.

Wouldn't be my cup of tea tbh, as gifting people with whom I have such a tenuous relationship just strikes me as a little odd.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.