Wiki Posts
Search

Long connection at PEK/Beijing

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2014, 11:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, MM
Long connection at PEK/Beijing

Flying my adult daughter back to US on miles from Bangkok via TG business class to PEK arriving 540 am Christmas day, departing 525pm on UA to CHI in Global First on first class award miles. I understand no China Visa is required, but can she leave the airport? When at the airport what lounge options will she have for TG business class and UA first class? If choices, what would be suggested? Is TG inbound likely the same terminal for UA outbound? Any other suggestions for this connection/layover? Thanks to all.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
My advice:

December 24th: BKK-NRT-ORD, in Global F. 1h25 minute connection.
TG676-NH1012

Last edited by aacharya; Dec 18, 2014 at 11:27 am
Old Dec 18, 2014, 11:26 am

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by aacharya
My advice:

Book BKK-Europe-EWR/IAD-ORD all in business. Save the miles and the extensive layover.
Although flying say BKK-FRA-ORD on Star Alliance in business class is a interesting option, I do not believe, with UA's new award levels, that this saves any miles over OP original plan.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 11:29 am

Programs: A3 *G, Marriott Plat, AS 75K
Flying my adult daughter back to US on miles from Bangkok via TG business class to PEK arriving 540 am Christmas day, departing 525pm on UA to CHI in Global First on first class award miles.

Christmas isn't a holiday in Beijing, so Christmas day would probably be the same as any other day (ignoring the decorations)

I understand no China Visa is required, but can she leave the airport?
Beijing recently initiated a '72 hours transit visa', which is free of charge. When she goes through customs, tell her to go to through the leftmost lane, which is the same as the Ebola lane (as of 1 month ago). If she lines up for any other lane, she'll be redirected to that lane. The visa would allow her to enter Beijing as a tourist.

When at the airport what lounge options will she have for TG business class and UA first class? If choices, what would be suggested? Is TG inbound likely the same terminal for UA outbound?
She'll have access to Air China business class and/or Air China first class lounge I believe. I know the business class lounge has day-beds, I have never been in the F lounge.
There is only 1 international terminal in Beijing.

Any other suggestions for this connection/layover? Thanks to all.
I would go out, enjoy the city and come back. You can take the subway, which gets you to Dongzhimen station, and you can transfer to the Beijing subway network which can get you to anywhere you want (including Tiananmen).
Depending on your daughter's background and what she hope to accomplish - sightseeing, eat, shop or people watch, I would probably come up with a different suggestion.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 11:30 am

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by OmahaUnitedMM
Flying my adult daughter back to US on miles from Bangkok via TG business class to PEK arriving 540 am Christmas day, departing 525pm on UA to CHI in Global First on first class award miles. I understand no China Visa is required, but can she leave the airport? When at the airport what lounge options will she have for TG business class and UA first class? If choices, what would be suggested? Is TG inbound likely the same terminal for UA outbound? Any other suggestions for this connection/layover? Thanks to all.
No China visa is required. Yes, she can leave the airport. She can use the TG Royal Silk lounge in BKK and the Air China First Lounge in PEK, neither of which is really outstanding.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.