Wiki Posts
Search

Magic M-U Switcheroo

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2014, 10:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: 1K
Magic M-U Switcheroo

Originally booked a RT in M outbound (2 segments) and U inbound (1 segment - direct flight). As I was booked in M, one of the outbound segments cleared to PN at booking. The other segment did not have PN availability at the time.

~1 day later, I had to rebook the inbound U segment (same day, different flight). When making the change, I ONLY selected the inbound/returning flight and took an earlier one. To my shock, the new itinerary now showed a different outbound itinerary -- one segment booked to PN and one segment booked to U. How in the world did modifying the inbound flight change the fare of my outbound (which was originally booked in M). Needless to say, I missed my "complimentary" upgrade for my ridiculously priced ticket.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 17, 2014 at 10:22 pm Reason: Clarified title
Old Dec 17, 2014, 10:25 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Appears the changed inbound caused the entire itin to be repriced. While many would like that, dropping the outbound fare from M to U, while cheaper ignored the special value of M fares. I would call and strongly request the M segment to be re-stated at no cost to you.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 10:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Appears the changed inbound caused the entire itin to be repriced. While many would like that, dropping the outbound fare from M to U, while cheaper ignored the special value of M fares. I would call and strongly request the M segment to be re-stated at no cost to you.
I figured this was likely the case. As long as the price was truly adjusted down due to M-U on the outbound, I suppose I don't have any objections (I'm saving the company $$). However, my greedy side still wants the M-UP It is weird that UA would go out of their way to lower their revenue.

The reason that I didn't "jump" to that conclusion immediately is because the earlier flight that I booked inbound is typically significantly cheaper (U to U isn't exactly an even-money change if I recall correctly).

Interesting tidbit - while my reservation didn't indicate the previous "1K Instant Upgrade" verbiage, it did mention that I was CPU-eligible as soon as 120 hours before the flight (rather than the typical 96 that I am entitled to as a 1K). However, I didn't clear in to PN when it was available.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 10:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
You can't change just the inbound and pay a change fee. If you haven't flown the outbound yet the entire ticket is repriced and you are charged the change fee for the ticket plus any difference in fare (or refunded any difference). You should have received a refund in this case because it went from "M" to "U".

Did you get a refund? Or at least a lower change fee?

-RM
Old Dec 18, 2014, 6:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RobOnLI
You can't change just the inbound and pay a change fee. If you haven't flown the outbound yet the entire ticket is repriced and you are charged the change fee for the ticket plus any difference in fare (or refunded any difference). You should have received a refund in this case because it went from "M" to "U".

Did you get a refund? Or at least a lower change fee?
Good to know! I suppose I haven't paid attention in the past to the whole ticket being repriced.

As it was a Flexible Fare, no change fee was necessary.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.