Search

TOD T-24 to TATL?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2014, 1:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K
TOD T-24 to TATL?

Hi all,

I'm GPU-waitlisted on a TATL with a connection first from LAX to EWR. While I normally hope for the GPU to just clear, it is the holidays and I'm open to just paying up via TOD if offered. My question: I've historically only seen TODs T-24 on the long-haul leg (even though you can "check in" on T-24 on the first segment).

Is this generally true?

Will checking in at T-24 on the short cause a TOD to not show up anymore on the long if I check later that day?

Just curious. Never thought about it in much detail since its usually more serendipity than anything else.

Thanks!

(And sorry, TOD haters!)
Old Dec 17, 2014, 2:11 am

Programs: UA 1k 1MM, VA G
It might get offered online at checkin or through the app

Visit a checkin kiosk if you can find one as they nearly always offer something
Old Dec 17, 2014, 4:55 am

Programs: UA 1k
I don't know why you'd still call it TOD for a transatlantic flight. The lowest offers I've seen are $500, and more commonly, recently have been between $700 and $1100 - which can be a better deal than GPU or miles+copay. Also, the offer seems to have nothing to do with the fare you paid?
But it's "hundreds-of-dollars", not "tens-of-dollars" - or am I understanding the acronym incorrectly?
To answer your question: you can try 24 hours before online, or at LAX at kiosk or app. But, if a seat opens up only later, you can even purchase the upgrade during your connection time in EWR, by using the app. When you open the app, go to "check-in" (even if you already checked in) and you'll see the upgrade offer if it's available. I've done this once because a seat opened up long after I'd started my trip, less than an hour before the transatlantic flight took off, before they processed the upgrades at the gate.

Actually, if you have wifi on the flight from LAX to EWR and can get the wifi to work on your phone, you could even purchase the upgrade while in the air!
Old Dec 17, 2014, 6:22 am

Programs: 1K
Originally Posted by augias84
Actually, if you have wifi on the flight from LAX to EWR and can get the wifi to work on your phone, you could even purchase the upgrade while in the air!
You can check-in online even if the itin has already started? Or, is there another mechanism to purchase TOD?
Old Dec 17, 2014, 6:29 am

Programs: UA Gold MM, HHonors Gold, Hertz Five Star Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis First
Originally Posted by hookthem
You can check-in online even if the itin has already started? Or, is there another mechanism to purchase TOD?
In the app, go to my itineraries and click on my options or flight options or something. That gives you this offer. Keep checking. I purchased one while on the security line once.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 6:41 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K
I just got back from a trip that included ORD-CDG-ORD legs in Y.

The app offered me TOD's of $829-869 each way each time I checked at or after T-24, both ways.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 10:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K
I don't know why you'd still call it TOD for a transatlantic flight. The lowest offers I've seen are $500, and more commonly, recently have been between $700 and $1100 - which can be a better deal than GPU or miles+copay. Also, the offer seems to have nothing to do with the fare you paid?
But it's "hundreds-of-dollars", not "tens-of-dollars" - or am I understanding the acronym incorrectly?
Heh, sorry to trigger your pedant switch.

I just thought that was the term used, but I looked around FT and see that it might be called "UFC" (upgrade from check-in)? If so, that's what I meant. Sanity is restored.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 3:09 pm

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
To answer your question: you can try 24 hours before online, or at LAX at kiosk or app. But, if a seat opens up only later, you can even purchase the upgrade during your connection time in EWR, by using the app. When you open the app, go to "check-in" (even if you already checked in) and you'll see the upgrade offer if it's available. I've done this once because a seat opened up long after I'd started my trip, less than an hour before the transatlantic flight took off, before they processed the upgrades at the gate.

It's called TOD not because of the actual price but more because United is dumping them on the cheap versus upgrading people using instruments.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 3:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by neo_781
It's called TOD not because of the actual price but more because United is dumping them on the cheap versus upgrading people using instruments.
It's mis-used that way. TOD stands for "Tens of Dollars" and used properly refers to a buy-up for $99 or less.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.