Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

advice on if miss UA award flight on US air due to immigration

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2014, 12:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton gold

I have tried to search similar subjects but not very successful. My case is that in January this year I booked business class award travel using UA miles from TPE to AUS on Dec 19. The operating carrier are TPE->LAX (EVA) LAX-> PHX(US) PHX ->AUS(US). My question is if I miss connection flight at LAX due to either immigration or EVA delay, which airline will rebook me automatically or which airline I should talk to have my new connection flight? Things seems a bit tricky as US left star Alliance after March and merge with AA now. I'm both UA 1K and AA EXP now if help.
many thanks

CK8870
Old Dec 16, 2014, 12:26 am

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Ck8870
I have tried to search similar subjects but not very successful. My case is that in January this year I booked business class award travel using UA miles from TPE to AUS on Dec 19. The operating carrier are TPE->LAX (EVA) LAX-> PHX(US) PHX ->AUS(US). My question is if I miss connection flight at LAX due to either immigration or EVA delay, which airline will rebook me automatically or which airline I should talk to have my new connection flight? Things seems a bit tricky as US left star Alliance after March and merge with AA now. I'm both UA 1K and AA EXP now if help.
many thanks

CK8870
If EVA is late, they will probably rebook you on UA. If immigration delays, AA should rebook you but may force you to pay your own hotel if you must overnight.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 2:25 am

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
as UA 1k and AA ex plat. how long is the layover, i suppose you are used to doing immigration and can get it done quickly?
Old Dec 16, 2014, 5:45 am
Original Poster

Just 2 h layover. TPE airport is testing 2nd runway that cause lots of departure delays recently. Just plan for the worst as I hold taiwan passport.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 7:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
If I were you, I'd rebook the LAX-PHX-AUS flight to LAX-IAH-AUS, or the direct (if available), all on UA metal.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 10:26 am

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Originally Posted by aacharya
If I were you, I'd rebook the LAX-PHX-AUS flight to LAX-IAH-AUS, or the direct (if available), all on UA metal.
Or TPE-SFO-AUS all on UA with a 1 hour and 50 minutes layover in SFO which is plenty of time to clear immigration and customs.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by 1353513636
If EVA is late, they will probably rebook you on UA. If immigration delays, AA should rebook you but may force you to pay your own hotel if you must overnight.
No, nothing to do with AA. Its BR's responsibility if they are late. If OP mis-connects owing to customs & immigration, then she/he should be rebooked by US -- not AA. AA & US are same ownership, yes, but still two different airlines.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 5:19 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by Ck8870
Just 2 h layover. TPE airport is testing 2nd runway that cause lots of departure delays recently. Just plan for the worst as I hold taiwan passport.
I have not had more that a 30 minute delay on any of my last several flights that departed TPE around 11 at night or such for LAX.

The old LAX (TBIT) immigration/customs was always a nightmare. The new setup works fine for US pax, hopefully better for you also. But who knows.

BR is providing expedite passes for those with tight connections. Have no idea how well that works either.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 5:46 pm

If you are a US citizen, sign up for Global Entry to expedite immigration at LAX! If you are not a US citizen, then I don't have any suggestions, sorry.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by 1KChinito
Or TPE-SFO-AUS all on UA with a 1 hour and 50 minutes layover in SFO which is plenty of time to clear immigration and customs.
Oh god no. The OP is in business class. No reason to fly UA when they have BR confirmed.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 6:23 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by AndyPatterson
If you are a US citizen, sign up for Global Entry to expedite immigration at LAX! If you are not a US citizen, then I don't have any suggestions, sorry.
My last arrival at TBIT (without Global Entry), I went straight to a kiosk (no line) then straight to an immigration agent (no line) then straight to the customs guy (no line).

Hard to see how Global Entry makes this any faster.

Of course this is irrelevant for the OP who is not a US citizen.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 8:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by channa
Oh god no. The OP is in business class. No reason to fly UA when they have BR confirmed.
+1
I'd rather have a forced overnight in Los Angeles than swap BR Royal Laurel for the UA 772.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 6:00 am

Programs: BR, UA 1k, CX
Originally Posted by exwannabe
My last arrival at TBIT (without Global Entry), I went straight to a kiosk (no line) then straight to an immigration agent (no line) then straight to the customs guy (no line).

Taiwan passport holder should be able to use the kiosk, as long as Visa free entry (ESTA), if you have a Visa you may not able to use it.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 6:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Taipei
Taiwan passport holder should be able to use the kiosk, as long as Visa free entry (ESTA), if you have a Visa you may not able to use it.
I still use my Visa until next March. Will get ESTA after that. Thanks for this new kiosk information.

Called UA Taiwan today. The CS told me to talk to US first if miss-connect. If US does not solve the problem, then I need to talk to UA (T3 to T7 very long walk)
Yes BR business is 5 times better than UA BF and 2 times better than UA GF.
I guess I will pray not much delay from BR, no checked baggage, and there is low immigration traffic or have APEC speed line available to make connection.

Thanks
CK8870
Old Dec 17, 2014, 7:39 am

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
Originally Posted by exwannabe

my last few times in lax, i did custom and immigration in 10 minutes from deplaning without global entry,. maybe i am lucky. global entry does not seem to help a lot in most of my entry.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.