Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA1536 LAX-IAD Has anyone else had a west to east transcon weight restricted on a 757

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA1536 LAX-IAD Has anyone else had a west to east transcon weight restricted on a 757

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2014, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Indelaware
There is no way that the weight of four people comes anywhere near the weight of the fuel that would be burnt after flying half-way across. However, it is possible that the aircraft was so heavy that if it had to return to LAX immediately after takeover it would exceed maximum landing weight.
That's not what I was referring to - I was referring to max landing weight for the planned arrival at IAD. Could be restricted for a variety of reasons.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 5:54 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus 1K, AA Executive Plat, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by mduell
That's not what I was referring to - I was referring to max landing weight for the planned arrival at IAD. Could be restricted for a variety of reasons.
correct. max landing weight can be a problem on any leg.

as for whether or not these 4 people will have an impact, well, of course that 780lbs will not be the full reason if a plane can land or takeoff, but there are strict guidelines of what the a/c can do and is structurally built for. If you are over by a 1lb or 1,000lb, it wont pass with the FAA.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 6:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K/MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by 1K_From_SNA
On a side note there were 65 people on the upgrade list and two cleared. Thankfully I used a GPU and am now in IST or I was thinking I'd have been in back and been one of the 63.
I was one of the 63...somewhere around 20th on the list...ouch.

Originally Posted by CALMSP
correct. max landing weight can be a problem on any leg.
Thanks, I didn't realize max landing weight could be a problem on a leg this long.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 11:40 pm

That sounds much more like an announcement to get the family to deplane without using the real reason for embarrassing or logistical purposes. While gross landing weight is always an issue, for a 757 to face that predicament, you would need an enormous tailwind along with a landing alternate hundreds and hundreds of miles away from Dulles to be in that situation. Only other alternative is a mechanical issue (pack inoperable for example) that would have you at a lower altitude and require a heavier fuel load. Otherwise, the 757 you can pack to the brim with people, cargo, and fuel and still go.

EDIT: Max landing weight is not taken into account for an emergency air return after take off. That would just be considered an overweight landing.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 9:17 am

Programs: UA 2MM Lifetime Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
That is what struck me funny for a 757 to have a weight restriction with so many empty seats, those things are a work horse.

With that said the pilot came out of the cockpit with a clipboard or ipad (I wasn't paying that close attention) after the announcement. I didn't see who he went to talk to or where, but that led me to believe the weight issue.

I could see it being a mechanical issue now that you say that, but a mechanic never went through F to the cockpit to do the paperwork or whatever they normally do. Maybe that is why the pilot left, to go talk to the mechanic. I just assumed it was the gate staff.

It all appeared to be a really last minute issue that came up within 5 minutes of the door closing. Especially since they offloaded the family or they wouldn't have put them on in the first place.

I thought there was closer to 15 standbys cleared when I looked but indeed there were only 6 that went out. Maybe they took off more people but in a much more discreet way. I couldn't see, but it is possible.

Originally Posted by Hammer0425
That sounds much more like an announcement to get the family to deplane without using the real reason for embarrassing or logistical purposes. While gross landing weight is always an issue, for a 757 to face that predicament, you would need an enormous tailwind along with a landing alternate hundreds and hundreds of miles away from Dulles to be in that situation. Only other alternative is a mechanical issue (pack inoperable for example) that would have you at a lower altitude and require a heavier fuel load. Otherwise, the 757 you can pack to the brim with people, cargo, and fuel and still go.

EDIT: Max landing weight is not taken into account for an emergency air return after take off. That would just be considered an overweight landing.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 9:45 am

Programs: Southwest, Alaska, United, American Airlines
Originally Posted by Indelaware

1. It could be that the particular aircraft had a problem with the fuel system. 757s have three tanks - left, center, and right. Fuel is drawn first from the center and then from the left and right. If, for whatever reason, the center tank was out-of-service, the range would be reduced by the amount of fuel carried in that tank. If, however, either then left or the right tank was out of service then the fuel would not be loaded in either side tank (tanks must be balanced) and the range would be reduced accordingly.
I'd almost bet money that this is the real reason for what happened. I've flown on multiple 757 flights, both sUA and sCO, where one of the fuel tanks was inoperative, and the powers-that-be elected to take a delay and have a mechanic disable that tank's pump systems and juggle routing, weights, etc. as needed instead of simply cancel the flight altogether.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 11:25 am

Programs: UA 1.6MM
Originally Posted by musing
sCO 757-300
Less capable than a 752.

Boeing used the same wing for the 752 and 753. Both models also have the same fuel capacity. So, a 752 will blow the pants of a 753 all year long.

Last edited by warreng24; Dec 17, 2014 at 11:53 am
Old Dec 17, 2014, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Maybe cargo??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.