Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

IAH to EZE (Houston to Buenos Aires): No Award Flights?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2014, 10:16 am
Original Poster

All,

I'd like to purchase award flights (business/first) from Houston to Buenos Aires next November 2015, however my awards agent is telling me that United offers no award tickets (business/first) for that flight. Any insights as to what's going on or how to book such a ticket?
Old Dec 12, 2014, 10:24 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mattbw1
All,

I'd like to purchase award flights (business/first) from Houston to Buenos Aires next November 2015, however my awards agent is telling me that United offers no award tickets (business/first) for that flight. Any insights as to what's going on or how to book such a ticket?
You're really early for making bookings for November 2015. The earliest seats go on sale for either dollars or award is 330 (IIRC) days before departure date. A lot of November 2015 is not on sale yet. Period.

Have patience.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 10:25 am
Suspended

Did you check united.com? There might be award seats available on Copa or Air Canada.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 10:30 am

Programs: UA Silver / FA
Also may want to specify if you need "Saver" BF flights.

I'd guess that you're looking for Saver availability vs. just "award" availability.

Per bse118, only early November flights are available right now, and there's no Saver availability in that small sample size as well.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 10:51 am

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
FYI saver BF on IAH-EZE is almost nonexistent. There is not a lot of capacity to EZE. I waited for one year for seats to open up EZE-IAH Dec 1 or 2 and it never happened. We flew Copa instead.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 11:22 am

Originally Posted by anc-ord772
FYI saver BF on IAH-EZE is almost nonexistent. There is not a lot of capacity to EZE. I waited for one year for seats to open up EZE-IAH Dec 1 or 2 and it never happened. We flew Copa instead.
Never flew award from/to EZE, but SCL was just as difficult (pre-IAH direct).. got even worse when TAM left *A.

Did book AC through YYZ, and CM through PTY like you once each and were easy, UA through GRU is another option.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 11:36 am

Originally Posted by Tblack15
Never flew award from/to EZE, but SCL was just as difficult (pre-IAH direct).. got even worse when TAM left *A.

Did book AC through YYZ, and CM through PTY like you once each and were easy, UA through GRU is another option.
I did notice some availability through SCL on AC, but the flight is not daily. One has the added hassle of finding trans border award availability.

There was a lot of availability to/from GRU ex US, both early in the calendar and last minute. Even to GIG, but SA connections ex GIG are poor. To get to EZE from GRU means the TK connection but it departs late and arrives after midnight into EZE. Also be prepared to spend the whole day in GRU as UNITED flights arrive in the morning. Still, plenty of availability on TK, and a flat bed for a few hours.

At least CM PTY-EZE flights are on the new birds with nice cradle seats, and CM has more schedule options including morning flights.

Last edited by anc-ord772; Dec 12, 2014 at 11:41 am
Old Dec 12, 2014, 12:55 pm

Programs: AA Gold
This same lack of award availability is happening with AA. I was going to go to Argentina and Chile for a vacation in late 2015 or early 2016 but due to virtually no award seats in B or F at saver levels, I plan to go elsewhere on vacation in that time frame. Just can't sit in coach for a 10-12 hour flight, especially when you have enough miles for B/F and can't get a seat.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by susiesan
This same lack of award availability is happening with AA. I was going to go to Argentina and Chile for a vacation in late 2015 or early 2016 but due to virtually no award seats in B or F at saver levels, I plan to go elsewhere on vacation in that time frame. Just can't sit in coach for a 10-12 hour flight, especially when you have enough miles for B/F and can't get a seat.
AA award seats will open up, especially close in. Our friends were able to find saver J EZE-MIA-ORD within 10 days of departure. There are also AA award sales to SA each year.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 1:14 pm

AA award seats will open up, especially close in. Our friends were able to find saver J EZE-MIA-ORD within 10 days of departure. There are also AA award sales to SA each year.
That's a problem if your vacation plan is a Cape Horn cruise from Santiago to Buenos Aries or vice versa. I couldn't take the chance of paying for an expensive cruise and finding out I don't have a ticket to SA to take the cruise.
I also can't put in for a vacation with only 10 days notice to get time off from work. I have to plan my vacations way in advance. No last minute trips for me.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 1:16 pm

That's a problem if your vacation plan is a Cape Horn cruise from Santiago to Buenos Aries or vice versa. I couldn't take the chance of paying for an expensive cruise and finding out I don't have a ticket to SA to take the cruise.
I also can't put in for a vacation with only 10 days notice to get time off from work. I have to plan my vacations way in advance. No last minute trips for me.
What about connecting through Brasil?
Old Dec 12, 2014, 1:24 pm

Depending on your status level, you can book the standard award, then monitor, and drop down to saver with no redeposit as it comes available, or cancel, etc.

Pretty aggressive strategy if it works (not even sure).
Old Dec 12, 2014, 1:46 pm

What about connecting through Brasil?
UA 979 IAH-GRU arrives 9:00am
TK 15 GRU-EZE leaves 6:30pm

That's an all day layover. No way I would do that. I have no interest in visiting Brazil, especially because of the costly visa and yellow fever shot requirement.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 4:09 pm
Suspended

There is availability MCI to EZE 9/4-9/21.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 4:50 pm

UA 979 IAH-GRU arrives 9:00am
TK 15 GRU-EZE leaves 6:30pm

That's an all day layover. No way I would do that. I have no interest in visiting Brazil, especially because of the costly visa and yellow fever shot requirement.
The post you are referencing is in regard to AA/OW award travel. Not UNITED/Star Alliance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.