Wiki Posts
Search

United objects to PANYNJ costs at EWR

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2014, 3:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

United objects to PANYNJ costs at EWR

http://www.flightglobal.com/news/art...-costs-407035/ (subscribers only)

The higher fees at Newark than at either New York John F. Kennedy International or New York LaGuardia airports puts the Chicago-based carrier at a “significant competitive disadvantage in the New York metropolitan area, one of the most important air traffic markets in the world”, it says in the complaint it has filed with US Federal Aviation Administration.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/todayi...time/20260247/

Newark generates $160 million a year in surpluses, with funding repeatedly paying for highways, bridges, parks, hospitals and other facilities it doesn't operate, according to the complaint.

"In fact, however, the Port Authority operates (Newark) for its own benefit, contrary to the interests of the traveling public and the aeronautical users of the airport, imposing excessive, unreasonable and discriminatory charges to generate huge surpluses that are siphoned off to non-aeronautical operations," the complaint said.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 4:30 pm

Programs: UA GS
I am with UA on this one. The money is for sure to used for cleaning there.
Those salary levels sound like Tony Soprano is still alive.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 8:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Plane-is-home
Compared to the reality of doing business in New Jersey, Tony Soprano was a saint.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 8:34 pm

Programs: United GS 2MM,, Marriott/Starwood Lifetime Platinum
Apologies to fire fighters everywhere - but I think we can say that fire fighter overtime systems are structurally flawed in many places.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Plane-is-home
I am with UA on this one. The money is for sure to used for cleaning there.
Agree. I'll do united a favor and continue to use LGA instead. It may be dumpy, but at least it doesn't make me hate flying and visiting NYC like EWR does.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 8:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Well. They could dump EWR and move to JFK.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 9:25 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, National EE
Originally Posted by milepig
not sure if there is the space at JFK. EWR is one of United largest hub and its strategically located at a good location being the only major airport in Northern NJ whereas LGA and JFK compete against each other.

I gotta agree with United. Their is no reason why EWR should have a higher fee than LGA and JFK. Also they really need to extend the PATH train into EWR. I live 20 minutes drive from EWR but would need to transfer twice and spend about a hour to get to EWR on public transportation.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 9:34 pm

Ron Marsico, spokesman for the Port Authority, said "United is paying fees to the Port Authority pursuant to a contract that the airline accepted."
hahaha .. somebody expects UA to live up to it's obligations and promises that it made in the past. They must not be a frequent flyer on UA.

-David
Old Dec 11, 2014, 9:34 pm
was thetravelingRedhead

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion, United Silver Premier
Originally Posted by zerolife
not sure if there is the space at JFK. EWR is one of United largest hub and its strategically located at a good location being the only major airport in Northern NJ whereas LGA and JFK compete against each other.

I gotta agree with United. Their is no reason why EWR should have a higher fee than LGA and JFK. Also they really need to extend the PATH train into EWR. I live 20 minutes drive from EWR but would need to transfer twice and spend about a hour to get to EWR on public transportation.
maybe they can use the fees they collect for the PATH extension.. they also need to update the NEC but that is a different issue. (2 connections to EWR is a bit wacked.

$242k a year is a bit out of control for salary. thats more than i will ever see in my life time. I think firefighters do deserve a good salary just not something like that.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 9:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA PP, AA, DL, BA, CX, SPG, HHonors
It's payback time ... UA bleed so much on their ACY services in hopes NJ would finally extend the PATH, and the state yanked the project so UA suffered financial losses without gaining anything. I see NJ at fault here.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 9:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zerolife

Do LGA and JFK compete? I see them as different markets, more akin to DCA and IAD or ORD and MDW.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 9:49 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by thetravelingRedhead
... $242k a year is a bit out of control for salary. ....
To be factually correct "$242,000 in compensation, overtime and benefits," would suggest a base salary below $150K. Still a comfortable salary even in the NYC area.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 10:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Absolutely not!! They won't be moved to JFK. UA is here to stay. They are not going anywhere.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 10:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Do LGA and JFK compete? I see them as different markets, more akin to DCA and IAD or ORD and MDW.
Yeah, different missions...the LGA/JFK duo does compete against EWR. But LGA/JFK each less desirable individually due to lots of competition and AA/DL having to split operations.

At the same time, folks like me heavily prefer LGA/JFK and I try and use them as much as possible relative to EWR.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 8:42 pm

UA and Port Authority Jousting Over EWR Fees

The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey is firing back with both barrels at UA over the airline's recent complaint to the FAA about excessive fees at EWR and allegations that the Authority was diverting some of those fees to non-airport expenses. Here's a link to the story.

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/201...k_airport.html

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 16, 2014 at 9:29 pm Reason: repaired link

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.