Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Club: No more domestic announcements during IRROPS :(

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2014, 10:41 am
Original Poster

Location: DFW from PDX - UA 1K 2MM,Lifetime HHonnors Diamond, Bonvoy AMB/LT Tit, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC

Just was diverted from IAH/YYZ into CLE and the wonderful club staff has informed us that they are no longer allowed to make any announcements for IRROPS.

Another enhancement I love ... Now everyone keeps having to walk back and ask for an update.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Others would view it differently - a club with continuous boarding announcements and IRROPS updates would be annoying to me. I can find out what is going on w/o the announcements. Say one or two people in club are actually interested in the announcement - do the other 100 people need to endure it?

A boarding announcement for a p.s. flight is different - almost half the people in the lounge are sometimes affected (e.g. first p.s. flight out of LAX).

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Dec 11, 2014 at 1:31 pm
Old Dec 11, 2014, 11:01 am

Programs: UA GS 2MM
Sounds like a frustrating day.

I rarely hear any announcements for delayed domestic flight boardings, let alone general updates about delay status. In fact, I would prefer they not share updates about delays over the loud speaker. Can you imagine what that would sound like - and the workload required to collect and broadcast all these updates - during a weather event at ORD or EWR.

It sounds more like status quo than a new rule...
Old Dec 11, 2014, 11:04 am

Maybe it's just me, or I have just become very good at tuning it out, but I don't really recall them ever (at least within the past year) making announcements about IRROPs unless it's pretty dramatic (cancellation or international, etc).

Given UA's ontime record, they would have to be making announcements 24/7 in those clubs
Old Dec 11, 2014, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dank0014
...I don't really recall them ever (at least within the past year) making announcements about IRROPs unless it's pretty dramatic (cancellation or international, etc)...
Yes, it's pretty rare. I think it's unreasonable that an everyone in the vicinity be subjected to announcements that affect only a couple of passengers each. It would be non-stop announcements. No offence to OP. but I think the club policy is correct.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 12:09 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold, American Kettle, Hertz #1 Presidents Circle, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by dshafiee
Just was diverted from IAH/YYZ into CLE and the wonderful club staff has informed us that they are no longer allowed to make any announcements for IRROPS.

Another enhancement I love ... Now everyone keeps having to walk back and ask for an update.
I just escaped yesterday from YYZ back home to IAH, planned it right to miss the weather they are getting.

But in general, I rarely hear IRROPS announcements in the Club, for which I'm thankful.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 12:10 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Just was diverted from IAH/YYZ into CLE and the wonderful club staff has informed us that they are no longer allowed to make any announcements for IRROPS. ....
as others have stated that has been the general policy for years. Not new.
... Now everyone keeps having to walk back and ask for an update.
or
-- flight displays?
-- Phone apps (enable the flight notifcations -- tend to get the info before the staff does)
-- PC using United.com
just some alternatives to bothering the staff
Old Dec 11, 2014, 2:00 pm

Programs: UA - 1MM, DL Diamond, AS MVP75, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
-- flight displays?
-- Phone apps (enable the flight notifcations -- tend to get the info before the staff does)
-- PC using United.com
just some alternatives to bothering the staff
Except those are not nearly as accurate as the staff getting a call from the gate letting them know that boarding is finally about to begin. Any estimated boarding time from the app, screen, pc, etc. is very rarely accurate.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 2:02 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by andyh64000
Except those are not nearly as accurate as the staff getting a call from the gate letting them know that boarding is finally about to begin. Any estimated boarding time from the app, screen, pc, etc. is very rarely accurate.
While the front desk may occasionally get calls from gates on boarding, that is not common IME especially for domestic flights when the whole airport is experiencing irrops due to WX..
Old Dec 11, 2014, 2:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k
Originally Posted by andyh64000
i can recall many times when the app is more accurate than announcements. for instance at the gate, i've seen people walk up and ask if they flight will be delayed. i look at my phone and see it just posted a 30 minute delay. the agent says nope, we're on time...not realizing it's been delayed. this has happened many times. my view is the phone is more accurate than asking agents about ETA.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 3:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
1. It's hardly a change.
2. It's impractical and noisy.
3. This is what the monitors are for. If you can't read, then ask the staff for assistance.
4. GA calling Club is largely for intl F where the lounge is near the gate and there's an agent to lead pax down to the aircraft or a driver. And, that's not handled by announcement.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 3:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I heard several announcements on Sunday evening in a UClub while awaiting my flight. So either it isn't a real policy or the implementation is inconsistent.

But it is also entirely possible the agents simply didn't want to keep up with all the delayed flights and chose to introduce it as a "policy" so you wouldn't challenge them.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is a plus. Sign up for flight updates and check your phone.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
I remember not so long ago when you landed at a hub, you would sometimes have the FAs on the PA for the entire taxi announcing the gates for every single connection. Long and unnecessary. They got rid of that.

I think it would be the exact same problem in the clubs. Even in EWR, where they seem to sometimes announce boarding of international flights, is still quite annoying.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 7:47 pm

Programs: UA Plat
When they re-did the concourse F club in ORD, it opened without a PA system. Staff there mentioned they might add one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.