Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[WEATHER WAIVER ISSUED] SFO: December 10-12, and Dec 15 2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 10, 2014, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
AM PST of 15 Dec 2014
San Francisco Weather
Airports:
San Francisco, CA (SFO)

Original Travel Dates: December 15, 2014

Changing to earlier or later flights is allowed.

Final Travel must be completed by: End of Validity of ticket (one year from date of issue)​​

Flight Changes:
Fees for same-day flight changes are waived within 24 hours of original departure.
For all other changes, the change fee will be waived, but a difference in fare may apply.
Updated, PM of 11 Dec 2014
San Francisco Weather
Airports:
San Francisco, CA (SFO)

Original Travel Dates: December 10, 2014 - December 12, 2014

Final Travel must be completed by: End of Validity of ticket (one year from date of issue)​​

Flight Changes:
Fees for same-day flight changes are waived within 24 hours of original departure.
For all other changes, the change fee will be waived, but a difference in fare may apply.
As of 8AM PST, 10 Dec 2014
San Francisco Weather Airports:
San Francisco, CA (SFO)

Original Travel Dates:
December 10, 2014 - December 11, 2014

Flight Changes:
​​
Running list of canceled UAL mainline flights (not SFO specific): https://flightaware.com/live/fleet/UAL/cancelled

Inquire on specific flight: http://www.united.com/web/en-US/apps/travel/flightstatus/default.aspx
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2014, 8:52 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines

Should be a mess. I have to connect through there on Thursday and a heavy rain storm is scheduled. I'm flying sea-sfo-sna and I know when it pees rain SFO shuts down. Do you think there will be a weather waiver posted? I'd like to change my routing to sea-den-sna if possible.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 8:59 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Yes, SFO will be a mess but it's too soon to tell if a weather waiver will be issued but keep checking this page on United's website

http://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/trav...lnotices.aspx?

I would also have all your "travel outs" (i.e. alternative flights) handy as if there is a waiver issued, it will make changing easier but also easier if you wanted to do a same day change
Old Dec 8, 2014, 9:08 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by goalie
Yes, SFO will be a mess but it's too soon to tell if a weather waiver will be issued but keep checking this page on United's website

http://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/trav...lnotices.aspx?

I would also have all your "travel outs" (i.e. alternative flights) handy as if there is a waiver issued, it will make changing easier but also easier if you wanted to do a same day change
good info thanks. Unfortunately I don't think a SDC would give me DEN connecting options.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 9:36 am

Programs: United Silver
Just have to keep your eye out and always be ready to make alternative plans. I'm flying out of SFO Thursday morning as well..
Old Dec 8, 2014, 9:39 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by enviroian
good info thanks. Unfortunately I don't think a SDC would give me DEN connecting options.
If you're going to misconnect, then all options are available.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by enviroian
Should be a mess. I have to connect through there on Thursday and a heavy rain storm is scheduled. I'm flying sea-sfo-sna and I know when it pees rain SFO shuts down. Do you think there will be a weather waiver posted? I'd like to change my routing to sea-den-sna if possible.
It doesn't actually shut down, but like any other airport there will be delays. The rain predicted for Thursday is supposed to be lighter than the rain we had last week. Rained hard for an hour, then drizzled non-stop all day.

I suspect the waiver won't come up until the delays start, at which point it may be too late.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
SFO weather waivers are extremely rare. Historically, between, i.e., Monday and Thursday, a lot of storms just fizzle out. Furthermore, no matter how bad it gets (unless ops are suspended) things will still likely be operating at approx. 30 landings per hour, which is the same as the 'someone sneezed' delay program.

I'd hop on an AS nonstop. Two UA short hops via SFO on a weather day is a recipe for not getting where you need to on the same day, including possibly getting stuck en-route. Your other alternative is WN via OAK, but it is just easier and more comfortable to hop on AS. If SNA/SEA (or PDX) is going to be part of your regular routine, you should be all over an AS status match.

Originally Posted by Tchiowa
I The rain predicted for Thursday is supposed to be lighter than the rain we had last week. Rained hard for an hour, then drizzled non-stop all day.
Actually not - the prediction is for the heaviest rain in 4+ years.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 8, 2014 at 11:18 am Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Dec 8, 2014, 9:54 am

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
To my knowledge, UA (or other airlines) rarely issues waivers for winter Pacific storms like it regularly does for winter snow on the East Coast. From the looks of things, Thursday will be bad for SFO. I am flying up there from LAX at 06:00 that day to connect to HKG, so I will be facing the same predicament. At this point, I don't know what best to recommend doing except perhaps:

1) SDC for Wednesday departure if possible;
2) wait for your current flight to be affected and switch to LAX-SEA nonstop or connection through DEN as you stated.

Like I said, these are based on my assumption that there won't be a general waiver in place. Good luck, and I might need some too!
Old Dec 8, 2014, 9:56 am

Programs: AA (ExecPlat.), UA, DL, Hertz (Club Gold), Avis, Hilton (Diamond VIP), Starwood, Marriott
Originally Posted by Tchiowa
It doesn't actually shut down, but like any other airport there will be delays. The rain predicted for Thursday is supposed to be lighter than the rain we had last week. Rained hard for an hour, then drizzled non-stop all day.

I suspect the waiver won't come up until the delays start, at which point it may be too late.

Actually and according to multiple sources, the storm predicted for this week is expected to be worse, with higher rainfall totals and higher winds. According to the National Weather Service, "[t]he blast, the likes of which only hit Northern California once every few years, will swing in sometime around Wednesday evening and continue into Friday. Winds in some areas will gust up to 50 mph and close to 4 inches of rain may drench urban areas."

All of last week, SFO received 3.81 inches of rain, with the heaviest being on 12/2, with 1.89 inches.

In any event, regardless of how much rain falls, SFO and travelers going through SFO should be prepared for long delays and multiple cancellations. I'll be watching for a waiver and may just cancel my trip to SoCal in its entirety.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 10:29 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Actually not - the prediction is for the heaviest rain in 4+ years.
And 50mph winds!
Old Dec 10, 2014, 6:03 am

"Storm of the decade" to hit SFO: UA Operations Impact?

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/201...of-the-decade/

Apparently, a massive storm is about to hit SFO, with 1-3 days duration, with winds gusting to 100 MPH, starting Wednesday night.

Surprised to see no travel waivers on UA site.

Anyone else have travel booked in the next few days?

Would flights be departing on schedule through a storm of this magnitude?
Old Dec 10, 2014, 6:06 am

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
Originally Posted by FlyWorld
Would flights be departing on schedule through a storm of this magnitude?
No.

SunLover
Old Dec 10, 2014, 6:25 am

Originally Posted by SunLover
No.
So if we know the storm is coming, and we know it's going to be of unusually significant magnitude and we know that's going to cause significant delays, if not cancellations, and there's no travel waiver, it means there's no alternative except to act like the storm isn't happening, check-in as usual, and show up at the airport as per original schedule, then deal with CO-style IRROPS as we enter holiday season with aircrafts operating at extremely high load factors? I'm heading to a destination for which there aren't any good alternatives, and with high load factors, it could take days to "accommodate" a plane full of pax if the flight is cancelled. Trying to be proactive here.

Originally Posted by goalie
And 50mph winds!
That's been raised to 100mph now.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Dec 10, 2014 at 6:32 am Reason: Merge
Old Dec 10, 2014, 6:54 am

The level of confidence this will be a major storm is high. This compares to other predictions which ended up with big storms weakening before landfall.

Model after model, run after run, there is agreement on all the ingredients coming together to make this not just messy, but relatively damaging to property.

I've not heard 'storm of the decade' used, but meteorologists are comparing alongside notable storms of years past that have been destructive. As such, recommendations to protect life and property have been issued.

Delays of mainline and cancellations of baby birds come with any decent storm to the Bay Area. All forecast guidance suggests this storm will be of a larger magnitude. Travelers to/from/thru the Bay Area Thursday/Friday really should think through those plans and have backup plans (and backup travel kit - if stranded) in order.

Assuming UA meteorologists use more than The Weather Channel and the Old Farmers Almanac to base their decisions, I'd be surprised if a WW isn't issued by nightfall Wednesday.

An excerpt from the NWS/NOAA weather discussion this morning - specific to Aviation: (emphasis mine)

http://forecast.weather.gov/product....n=1&glossary=1

AVIATION...AS OF 4:00 AM PST WEDNESDAY...PATCHY FOG AND LIFR-IFR
CLOUD DECKS HAVE PERSISTED THROUGH THE NIGHT AS A RESULT OF LIGHT
WINDS AND A MOIST NEAR SURFACE ENVIRONMENT. CIGS SHOULD SHOW MINOR
SIGNS OF IMPROVEMENT BTWN 17-18Z WED HOWEVER MVFR TO IFR CIGS WILL
PREVAIL THROUGH THE DAY AHEAD OF AN APPROACHING PACIFIC POWERHOUSE
OF A STORM.

A COPIOUS RAINFALL PATTERN IS SETTING UP OVER THE BAY AREA AND NORTH
CENTRAL COAST FOR LATE WEDNESDAY NIGHT THROUGH THURSDAY EVENING. AS
ADVERTISED IN THE PUBLIC FORECASTS EXPECT HEAVY RAIN AND HEAVY WIND
TO MOVE INTO THE REGION STARTING LATE TOMORROW NIGHT AND CONTINUE
THROUGH THURSDAY. THE 12Z TAFS INCLUDE THE VANGUARD OF THE EXPECTED
IMPACTS FROM HEAVY RAIN AND GUSTY SOUTHERLY WINDS. WANTED TO
MENTION THIS BECAUSE THERE`LL VERY LIKELY BE NUMEROUS FLIGHT
DELAYS AND CANCELLATIONS IN AND OUT OF THE BAY AREA FOR MID TO
LATE WEEK.
A RAPIDLY DEEPENING EASTERN PACIFIC SURFACE LOW
PRESSURE AREA WILL RACE NORTHEAST REACHING SW OREGON THURSDAY
MORNING. A TRAILING COLD FRONT WILL BE MOVING OVER ANOMALOUSLY
WARM DECEMBER CA COASTAL WATER TEMPS OF WHICH ARE UNPRECEDENTED
FOR ANY DECEMBER AT LEAST BACK THROUGH THE 1980S PER RECENT CHECK
OF NATIONAL DATA BUOY CENTER (NDBC) DATA. RESULTANT INSTABILITY IS
QUITE LIKELY TO RAMP UP THE PROBABILITY OF T-STORMS/RAINFALL
RATES.

VICINITY OF KSFO...MVFR TO IFR CIGS THROUGH WEDNESDAY MORNING.
GUSTY SOUTH-SOUTHEAST WINDS PICK UP BEGINNING AT 04Z THU. WINDS
AND RAIN WILL BEGIN TO PEAK AT OR AROUND 15Z THU AND CONTINUE FOR
THE THURSDAY MORNING PUSH. +RA/TS AND SUSTAINED WINDS OVER 30KTS
AND GUSTS OVER 45KTS ARE ALL POSSIBLE THURSDAY MORNING.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Dec 10, 2014 at 7:11 am
Old Dec 10, 2014, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
this storm will be highly impactful to SFO, but probably also SJC and SMF, among others.

here in the valley they are calling for several inches of rain and several hours of wind >40mph. in the foothills where i live, i expect an ugly flooding and power outage situation.

i'm glad i am not flying the next 3 days.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.