Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

What are the valid reasons for UX gate checked bags to be delivered to baggage claim?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What are the valid reasons for UX gate checked bags to be delivered to baggage claim?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2014, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I wonder under what circumstances gate-checked green tagged bags would be sent to the baggage claim rather than returned at the gate (for everyone on the flight).

Thanks.

Last edited by username; Dec 9, 2014 at 8:16 pm
Old Dec 9, 2014, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Gate-checked bags are almost always obtained at baggage claim, if they're given a true bag tag versus a green tag.

That's the differentiation.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aacharya
Gate-checked bags are almost always obtained at baggage claim, if they're given a true bag tag versus a green tag.

That's the differentiation.
Sorry, I clarified. These are green-tagged bags. Upon arrival, what would make a gate agent/station decide to not deliver the bags to the jetbridge?
Old Dec 9, 2014, 8:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K, IHG Spire Elite
What are the valid reasons for gate checked bags to be delivered to baggage claim?

I've seen them send green tagged gate checks to baggage claim several times at CMH when they've been short staffed or had numerous flights arrive at the same time.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 8:39 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL-Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
At small outstations where there is just one person unloading the bags (and no connevtions) they frequently send all the bags to baggage claim. Since the time for me to get my bag and exit rhe arport is about the same I find this more convenient because I can be getting my rental car while waiting for the bags (which typically takes only a few minutes). At small stations you can usually see the baggage belt from the rental car counters.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 8:52 pm

Programs: UA Gold; IHG Spire Elite
Man, I wish they did this at EUG... I'm usually on the last flight of the night when heading home (so no one's connecting) and I would so much rather not have to deal with the jet bridge scrum. I have to walk right by the carousel anyways on the way out. It's got to be easier for the handlers too...
Old Dec 9, 2014, 8:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by jewels421
Man, I wish they did this at EUG... I'm usually on the last flight of the night when heading home (so no one's connecting) and I would so much rather not have to deal with the jet bridge scrum. I have to walk right by the carousel anyways on the way out. It's got to be easier for the handlers too...
If you want this, just check the bag at the counter when you start...
Old Dec 9, 2014, 9:03 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
If someone fails to reclaim it at the gate/plane side, the baggage claim would be the logical place for it to make its way to.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 9:03 pm

Programs: UA Gold; IHG Spire Elite
Originally Posted by channa
If you want this, just check the bag at the counter when you start...
I guess I was assuming gate checked bags would come out before regular checked bags in this scenario, but I've got no way of knowing if that's true, I guess. For me, the biggest issue with checking bags on a return is getting to the airport before the cut-off time...
Old Dec 9, 2014, 10:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by jewels421
For me, the biggest issue with checking bags on a return is getting to the airport before the cut-off time...
White-tag check it at the gate, and be sure not to put a green tag on it. No cut-off time, you simply leave it at the plane door like the green-tag bags, but when the baggage handlers unload it they will send it to baggage claim due to the lack of a green tag.

ie, same thing they do on a larger plane when the bins are full.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Are there guidelines on how bad the weather has to get before green-tagged bags are not returned to the gate and sent to the claim?

Thanks.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 6:14 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Is there an issue or a future concern you have? I have never experienced this problem and am curious what has motivated these questions? I serious doubt this would occur for green tag items at any significant airport due to connecting flights so it seems a small outstation is the only potential situation.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 6:52 pm

A lot of the people working for the contract companies just don't care very much and can be really lazy. The other night it took the new uax contractor in DEN over an hour after the flight came in just to deliver bags to the carousel.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 7:37 pm

Programs: UA 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium
At MBS, they send it to gate check because they do a quick turnaround with the plane. It would slow down the process if people had to wait in the jetbridge for luggage.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 7:42 pm

Programs: DL DM
Last winter during the polar vortex my spouse arrived on a late flight into DSM on DL. Before they disembarked, the passengers were told it was too cold for passengers to stand in the jetway. The DL pink-tagged bags were sent to the carousel. Only time that's happened IME.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.