Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Funny announcements heard on the overhead at United Club

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Funny announcements heard on the overhead at United Club

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2014, 6:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by dank0014
About time United gets in the business of reliable transportation. At least the Bus will have an on-time departure, offers legroom, more comfy seats, and no need for a SMI/J safety demonstration. I bet it even has overhead TV monitors and you can get wifi (via cell) service I hear.
The KAL Limousine service from ICN airport comes with in-flight magazines and comfortable seating (but no lav, which for a 70+ minute ride can be a bit alarming).

United would have to step up their game to offer connecting bus service from hubs. But I can see it making sense in certain markets — maybe SFO yes, IAH not so much?
Old Dec 5, 2014, 7:04 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by mherdeg
But I can see it making sense in certain markets — maybe SFO yes, IAH not so much?
Back when CO flew EFD to IAH, there would be no plane on a semi regular basis, and they would send us in taxis. And yes, to answer an earlier question, I got 500 miles for the journey
Old Dec 5, 2014, 7:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by mherdeg
United would have to step up their game to offer connecting bus service from hubs. But I can see it making sense in certain markets — maybe SFO yes, IAH not so much?
I think the main reason Sacramento pax fly to SFO is to avoid the traffic nightmare. All the way down the eastshore, across the bay bridge, and through the city. That drive can easily take 3 hours for approx. 80 miles.
Old Dec 5, 2014, 7:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by Baze
But wasn't there an old Continental Bus Lines years ago? Maybe they are going back to their roots.
Until 1987 or so, Continental Trailways was the national-network bus competitor to Greyhound -- a bus line unrelated to Continental Airlines.
Old Dec 5, 2014, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BearX220
Until 1987 or so, Continental Trailways was the national-network bus competitor to Greyhound -- a bus line unrelated to Continental Airlines.
Thanks for correcting the name. Yes, I knew they were unrelated, was making a joke.
Old Dec 6, 2014, 1:57 am

Programs: UA OG-1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
I've taken LH trains before. The trains I took were actually 3/4 being delayed, one for mechanical- as is dead at a station, try another train dead.
Old Dec 6, 2014, 2:31 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by PushingTin
I've taken LH trains before. The trains I took were actually 3/4 being delayed, one for mechanical- as is dead at a station, try another train dead.
I use the LH bus service from FRA to Strasbourg France. It's comfortable, on time and relatively inexpensive (50 euro).
Old Dec 6, 2014, 8:47 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by dank0014
About time United gets in the business of reliable transportation. At least the Bus will have an on-time departure, offers legroom, more comfy seats, and no need for a SMI/J safety demonstration. I bet it even has overhead TV monitors and you can get wifi (via cell) service I hear.
UA Style would be a school bus.
Old Dec 6, 2014, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by Baze
Thanks for correcting the name. Yes, I knew they were unrelated, was making a joke.
Ah, sorry. Thick of me.

Originally Posted by PushingTin
I've ridden an LH train from Bonn down the river to FRA. It was very nice - nicer than LHR by air on that route.
Old Dec 6, 2014, 11:26 am

Originally Posted by controller1
I bet those Sacramento-bound passengers did not think it was too funny!
Generally I'm already unhappy about the CXL or 2+ hour delay... so bus (or usually cab, since I take SMF-SFO more frequently) substitution is a welcome solution.

Originally Posted by enviroian
Right!

I wonder if they will still their segment and 500 EQM's?

People in the club were laughing out loud. Probably more so because the agent was a little dramatic with the announcement.

"We're going to put you on a BUS!" was more like it.
ORC, you bet

Generally that kind of reaction is why I get when I tell people UAX flies SMF-SFO in the first place.

Originally Posted by sfo
Will it have an FA or two on it to serve beverages
There's no service on SMF-SFO anyway (well, occasionally if it's a smooth climb they'll get up and walk around with cups/water) the flight is usually 28 minutes (and half that time is spent lining up to land on the 28s) so cruise altitude is usually 10,000 or 11,000 feet (and only that high so we can get into the approach pattern).

Originally Posted by radiowell
Why don't they just get it over with and offer LAX-CLD/OXR/SBA and SFO-SMF/CIC/ACV/CEC on the bus, just like EWR-ABE and IAH-BPT.

(In case you're wondering, no I don't want this to happen; today it's SFO-SMF bus, tomorrow it will be SFO-DEN "mainline" bus.)
OXR hasn't had commercial service since 2011 (iirc), and with the end of the EMB120 fleet in 2015 they've announced the end of CIC and CLD commercial service. OO and it's predecessors had a long history of flying such routes (Sun Aire Lines especially) so while they've been slowly drying up there used to be a lot more.

Unless OO can convince the DoT that the CEC EAS money should be moved to ACV or UA that CEC is just as good as ACV both of those will stick around. Frequencies will probably drop to ~2x per day but CEC/ACV is a 370 mile, 6.5 hour drive to SFO (and no closer to SMF) vs 80 miles <1.5 hours EWR-ABE and 100 miles 1.5 hours IAH-BPT (and real interstates, the 101 is mostly undivided and not even two lanes the whole way).

SMF is a 100 mi, 2 hour drive without traffic, but 80 regularly adds 1~2 hours during certain times. Maybe it's wishful thinking but I expect they'll keep this around for all the major banks at SFO (mid-day service on UA is pretty light at SMF already, so SFO is sometimes the only option).

SBA is a pretty heavily served airport: F9 A319 xDEN, OO DBA USX CRJ xPHX, OO DBA UAX xSFO/xLAX is mostly EMB but some of the LAX flights are already moving RJ (SFO may follow or may get axed, they'll probably give it one season's try) so it's obviously profitable enough (plenty of short RJ flights, ORD-MKE springs to mind).

For some others: RDD is similar to ACV (although closer to SMF) and would be a likely candidate for EAS if the industry decides it isn't profitable. SAN, SBP, BFL, and MRY are too well served to just dry up completely (and UA is pulling significant portions of traffic at all of them). FAT in addition to having a fair amount of service is still an OO base so at they very least it will take longer to get rid of. YUM has already been axed (still served by USX xPHX) as part of the EMB120 retirements too.

Originally Posted by Kacee
I think the main reason Sacramento pax fly to SFO is to avoid the traffic nightmare. All the way down the eastshore, across the bay bridge, and through the city. That drive can easily take 3 hours for approx. 80 miles.
The biggest thing for me actually ends up being late night arrivals. If I want to leave the east coast after 4PM and be in my bed before 2AM I need to fly into SMF (xLAX, xORD, xIAD, a new xDEN late-night, etc.) and avoid the 2 hour drive SFO-SMF. Connecting via SFO on the way home is rarely a better option (between delays and MCT you're landing in SFO 2 hours before you get to SMF anyway) so I've only flown SFO-SMF twice, but SMF-SFO is a mainstay for me.
Old Dec 6, 2014, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Last week while waiting for our baggage from NRT that was stuck on the plane, an UA agent made this announcement: "As soon as my supervisor allows me, I'll provide an update."
Old Dec 6, 2014, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wto605
Generally I'm already unhappy about the CXL or 2+ hour delay... so bus (or usually cab, since I take SMF-SFO more frequently) substitution is a welcome solution.

ORC, you bet

Generally that kind of reaction is why I get when I tell people UAX flies SMF-SFO in the first place.

There's no service on SMF-SFO anyway (well, occasionally if it's a smooth climb they'll get up and walk around with cups/water) the flight is usually 28 minutes (and half that time is spent lining up to land on the 28s) so cruise altitude is usually 10,000 or 11,000 feet (and only that high so we can get into the approach pattern).

OXR hasn't had commercial service since 2011 (iirc), and with the end of the EMB120 fleet in 2015 they've announced the end of CIC and CLD commercial service. OO and it's predecessors had a long history of flying such routes (Sun Aire Lines especially) so while they've been slowly drying up there used to be a lot more.

Unless OO can convince the DoT that the CEC EAS money should be moved to ACV or UA that CEC is just as good as ACV both of those will stick around. Frequencies will probably drop to ~2x per day but CEC/ACV is a 370 mile, 6.5 hour drive to SFO (and no closer to SMF) vs 80 miles <1.5 hours EWR-ABE and 100 miles 1.5 hours IAH-BPT (and real interstates, the 101 is mostly undivided and not even two lanes the whole way).

SMF is a 100 mi, 2 hour drive without traffic, but 80 regularly adds 1~2 hours during certain times. Maybe it's wishful thinking but I expect they'll keep this around for all the major banks at SFO (mid-day service on UA is pretty light at SMF already, so SFO is sometimes the only option).

SBA is a pretty heavily served airport: F9 A319 xDEN, OO DBA USX CRJ xPHX, OO DBA UAX xSFO/xLAX is mostly EMB but some of the LAX flights are already moving RJ (SFO may follow or may get axed, they'll probably give it one season's try) so it's obviously profitable enough (plenty of short RJ flights, ORD-MKE springs to mind).

For some others: RDD is similar to ACV (although closer to SMF) and would be a likely candidate for EAS if the industry decides it isn't profitable. SAN, SBP, BFL, and MRY are too well served to just dry up completely (and UA is pulling significant portions of traffic at all of them). FAT in addition to having a fair amount of service is still an OO base so at they very least it will take longer to get rid of. YUM has already been axed (still served by USX xPHX) as part of the EMB120 retirements too.

The biggest thing for me actually ends up being late night arrivals. If I want to leave the east coast after 4PM and be in my bed before 2AM I need to fly into SMF (xLAX, xORD, xIAD, a new xDEN late-night, etc.) and avoid the 2 hour drive SFO-SMF. Connecting via SFO on the way home is rarely a better option (between delays and MCT you're landing in SFO 2 hours before you get to SMF anyway) so I've only flown SFO-SMF twice, but SMF-SFO is a mainstay for me.
United Express from/to SBA to/from LAX and SFO has had regional jets for years.
Old Dec 7, 2014, 11:29 am

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat, Turkish Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold
this is funny. Hope I won't encounter this..
Old Dec 7, 2014, 12:03 pm
was thetravelingRedhead

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion, United Silver Premier

Originally Posted by Kacee
Question for both of you... (Disclaimer, I have only done this journey once and it was driving. seemed ok, and I know little about SFO/CA.)... anyway have any of you done the Capital Corridor to OAK and then BART->SFO? wondering why this wasnt brought up. im sure it would take a hell of a time though. (and perhaps it works better if you were going to OAK...)
Old Dec 7, 2014, 1:20 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL '90s PM, now FK (Flying Kettle)
When I was doing this regularly, needing to leave WAS or NYC late-ish, and certainly preferring paid or upgraded F on the IAD/JFK-SFO nonstops rather than connections, I soon found that there is virtually NO traffic from SFO to Sacramento after a certain hour. Even the Bay Bridge is easy. The drive is fast and almost fun, certainly less than 2 hours.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.