Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How Strict is United on Passport Expiration Dates?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How Strict is United on Passport Expiration Dates?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2014, 10:26 am

Programs: UA Silver / FA
IMO, if you have to post something out here asking if you should "risk it", you should not.

I'm also lame, and tend to be risk-averse. I've also been in a similar situation while checking in for a UA flight to EZE; they said they wouldn't let me on without a reciprocity receipt (they would be fined $10k per the post above), and yet, I had one from previous years (that did not look like their printed out example) stapled into my passport. Proof that even if you have ALL the correct documentation, YMMV.

If this is your only int'l trip for the next 10 years, then maybe there's value in not re-upping your passport, but I don't see it.

Good luck.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 10:49 am

It's not an airline based number it's determined by which country you are visiting - some are 3 months, some are 6 -

http://traveltips.usatoday.com/count...ty-100788.html

This happened to me on my way to Amsterdam on Lufthansa and I was not allowed to board - they are very strict on this - they stated if they let me get on I would just be turned away at customs when I arrived in the country as they check this - it's not an airline thing - also United did not re-book me without me paying change fee + difference in fare - and I was Gold status at the time

This is a better site to check

http://travel.state.gov/content/pass...h/country.html

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Dec 5, 2014 at 5:09 am Reason: merge
Old Dec 4, 2014, 10:54 am

Programs: UA G 1.9MM, HH Diamond, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Kacee
The rules vary from country to country. The fact you had no problem in one country says nothing about whether another country will let you in. It's like saying, "I did not need a visa to visit the UK" in response to a question about visiting Russia (where you do need a visa).
The OP said he was going to multiple countries on his trip. I was pointing out that I went to three countries within 60 days of my PP expiring and not one airline or customs/immigration official raised it as an issue.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 1:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by Kacee
The rules vary from country to country. The fact you had no problem in one country says nothing about whether another country will let you in. It's like saying, "I did not need a visa to visit the UK" in response to a question about visiting Russia (where you do need a visa).
Except OP has said (and I assume s/he has correctly researched the issue) that all the countries s/he is traveling to require only an unexpired passport (not expiration plus months).

So s/he won't be turned away by the country, only the airline.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 2:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
It's obvious that the collective wisdom of frequent international travelers is that your risk of a renewal not processing in time is far lower than your risk of travel interruption due to a soon-to-expire passport.

I would accept the collective wisdom.

If you are really a no-risk-at-all-tolerance person (which you're obviously not given how hard you seem to be trying to convince yourself traveling with a soon-to-expire passport is OK), the suggestion to get the 2nd passport with 2-year validity is the nearest zero risk option - but again, an expedited renewal is relatively foolproof.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 3:02 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by drewguy
Except OP has said (and I assume s/he has correctly researched the issue) that all the countries s/he is traveling to require only an unexpired passport (not expiration plus months).

So s/he won't be turned away by the country, only the airline.
Yes. You got it right on the button. The various state departments of the respective countries said I only needed an unexpired passport, but warned me some airlines can still deny boarding.

But as I wrote earlier, I contacted United and they documented in my record about that an unexpired passport was all that was needed.

Also, I'm very risk adverse which is why renewing my passport is not an option. I've had the expedited processing take far longer than thought since the state department only guarantee *their* processing time, not the mailing and handling time.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 3:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by inpd
I contacted United and they documented in my record about that an unexpired passport was all that was needed.

Also, I'm very risk adverse
You're risk-averse and you're trusting United front-line employees? Those two concepts don't go together.

This seems like yet another "I've already made up my mind, but I'll just ask and ignore anyone who doesn't agree" thread (these are very common on FT).

I hope it all works out for you, but I wouldn't be a bit surprised if it doesn't.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 3:56 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by spearsba
The OP said he was going to multiple countries on his trip. I was pointing out that I went to three countries within 60 days of my PP expiring and not one airline or customs/immigration official raised it as an issue.
Sorry, but that's really not relevant. The fact that you visited countries which do not require three or six months unexpired passport says nothing about the countries that OP is visiting. There are multiple countries that do have this requirement.

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
This seems like yet another "I've already made up my mind, but I'll just ask and ignore anyone who doesn't agree" thread (these are very common on FT).
Bingo.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 4:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Good Luck, OP!

Hope you sail through flights and customs with zero hassles.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 4:01 pm

Programs: KLM/AF Platinum for life, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
If the OP would provide the countries in question, then we could stop all of the conjecture.

FT is full of stories about both people who have managed trips without sufficient pages and others who were denied entry/boarding because of a minor or non-issue. This is why we mention risk. Think the EU doesn't check...think again. You will find firsthand stories here about Germany, Greece, Italy just to name a few countries where US citizens were denied boarding/entry. I have even had airlines try and deny me boarding for European flights inside Schengen because my passport was about to expire.

Renew the passport or take your chances. At the end of the day, it is your choice, your money and your appetite for risk.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 4:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by bankops
If the OP would provide the countries in question, then we could stop all of the conjecture.
OP has stated the following:

Hi,

So I'm traveling to a whole bunch of countries this December and January. My passport expires in February and the countries I am visiting state I can visit so long as my passport is not expired.
If OP has done poor research, not much we can do to save OP from that.

The question is what are the risks that United will ignore those countries' rules and apply the general approach (adopted in many countries) that require six months validity, and prevent OP from boarding a flight to countries that do not have that requirement.

FWIW, I often travel on an official passport, for which some countries require a visa even though they do not for a tourist passport. United has *never* bothered to check to confirm my visa in those instances.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 4:38 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Yes. You got it right on the button. The various state departments of the respective countries said I only needed an unexpired passport, but warned me some airlines can still deny boarding.

But as I wrote earlier, I contacted United and they documented in my record about that an unexpired passport was all that was needed.

Also, I'm very risk adverse which is why renewing my passport is not an option. I've had the expedited processing take far longer than thought since the state department only guarantee *their* processing time, not the mailing and handling time.
As posted above by AlreadyThere, you can order a 2nd passport from State to avoid the risk of being without any passport. And you have also have a backup with your Australian passport (though you might want to check the rules for that in the countries you are visiting).

And you can use expedited services or FedEx.

So this really comes down to a few hundred dollars vs. the slight chance of an oh-no moment.

BTW: I agree with the posters who said it would have been easier if you just listed the countries you were visiting. It avoids a lot of extraneous chatter on the responses.

Anyway, have a good trip.

EDIT: As a side note, I once was traveling with a passport in violation of S Korea's expiration rules. I was able (after 30 minutes of begging) to get KE to allow me on the flight. I suspect the decision was based on the fact that I had a full fare Biz ticket. S Korean immegration waved my right through. But I was really sweating bullets on the trip.

Last edited by exwannabe; Dec 4, 2014 at 4:46 pm
Old Dec 4, 2014, 4:47 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Delta Million Miler,Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, Delta Sky Club
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
You're risk-averse and you're trusting United front-line employees? Those two concepts don't go together.

I hope it all works out for you, but I wouldn't be a bit surprised if it doesn't.
This nails it. Why bother asking if you've already "documented" it with United and know what you are going to do? Save us all some time.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 4:48 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by bankops
The OP has already made up his mind.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 4:50 pm

Buy INTL ticket for next day.

Go to passport office, get renewal same day.

Go home, cancel trip next day.

New passport.

...profit????

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.