Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Your thoughts? - Million Miler/deployed soldier GPU forfeiture question.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your thoughts? - Million Miler/deployed soldier GPU forfeiture question.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2014, 11:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM, SPG Platinum
Question Your thoughts? - Million Miler/deployed soldier GPU forfeiture question.

Hello Everyone,

I've got a question for fellow United frequent flyers about what you think might be fair in my situation. As background, I am a Million Miler and a multi-year 1K. This June, I was deployed on military orders to Afghanistan. I will be here for a year. Before deploying, I did as many mileage runs as I could to try to qualify for 1K before I left--but ultimately I was unsuccessful. Recently, I asked Mileage Plus if they would waive the qualification requirement to 1K, which they did. For this, I am extremely grateful and deeply appreciative. Although United's service has been especially poor since their disastrous merger, I give them a lot of credit for the way they handled my request.

So here is the question: before I deployed, I had two unused Global Premier Upgrades in my account. As part of the qualification waiver, I asked United if they would consider extending the unused GPUs expiration until after I redeployed. (To be perfectly clear, I am not referring to the six GPUs that are deposited for the next year on--which, quite understandably--I will not be receiving.) The issue is only with the two unused GPUs. United declined my request. So since I won't be redeploying until June, that means I will forfeit them.

After first profusely thanking MP for the 1K qualification waiver, I respectfully asked United to reconsider the 2 GPU extension--but not expecting anything. So I ask, what are your thoughts on how MP management should respond? What do you think would be fair? I have no intention of fighting United if they deny my request as I am thankful enough for their generosity on the 1K qualification waiver. Just hate to forfeit the GPUs, which are quite valuable. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

MC

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 2, 2014 at 1:18 pm Reason: remove unneeded comments
Old Dec 2, 2014, 11:43 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium.;UA 1.5MM; UA Lifetime Gold (whoppee); DL Plat
Originally Posted by HNL2017
Hello Everyone,

I've got a question for fellow United frequent flyers about what you think might be fair in my situation. As background, I am a Million Miler and a multi-year 1K. This June, I was deployed on military orders to Afghanistan. I will be here for a year. Before deploying, I did as many mileage runs as I could to try to qualify for 1K before I left--but ultimately I was unsuccessful. Recently, I asked Mileage Plus if they would waive the qualification requirement to 1K, which they did. For this, I am extremely grateful and deeply appreciative. Although United's service has been especially poor since their disastrous merger, I give them a lot of credit for the way they handled my request.

So here is the question: before I deployed, I had two unused Global Premier Upgrades in my account. As part of the qualification waiver, I asked United if they would consider extending the unused GPUs expiration until after I redeployed. (To be perfectly clear, I am not referring to the six GPUs that are deposited for the next year on--which, quite understandably--I will not be receiving.) The issue is only with the two unused GPUs. United declined my request. So since I won't be redeploying until June, that means I will forfeit them.

After first profusely thanking MP for the 1K qualification waiver, I respectfully asked United to reconsider the 2 GPU extension--but not expecting anything. So I ask, what are your thoughts on how MP management should respond? What do you think would be fair? I have no intention of fighting United if they deny my request as I am thankful enough for their generosity on the 1K qualification waiver. Just hate to forfeit the GPUs, which are quite valuable. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

MC
Write corporate in Chicago and ask...all they can say is no! I'm not sure that they would want to do this to a deploying service person, but who knows...and, by the way, THANKS for protecting all of us...it is certainly a labor of love.^

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 2, 2014 at 1:19 pm Reason: quote updated to reflect mod edit
Old Dec 2, 2014, 11:47 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
They've already done you a huge favor, I'd say you're seriously lucky.

Lots of people lose GPUs and status etc. for all kinds of reasons.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 11:52 am

Programs: UA Plat, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by HNL2017
Hello Everyone,

MC
Personally I am a bit confused on why you care about obtaining 1K status when you won't be flying for a while but that's not your question.

I think it is "fair" for UA to consistently apply the published rules for all customers. Anything else will benefit some more than others and could therefore be characterized as "unfair". Then again, I also don't think that a company or an individual should ever try to be "fair". I think they should strive to do the right thing instead.

My advice - gift the GPU's to a friend or loved one, and focus on the more important things going on in your current location. God bless, and good luck. As my drill instructor used to tell me "stay alert - stay alive"!

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 2, 2014 at 1:20 pm Reason: quote updated to reflect mod edit
Old Dec 2, 2014, 11:54 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by boss315
Write corporate in Chicago and ask...all they can say is no! I'm not sure that they would want to do this to a deploying service person, but who knows...and, by the way, THANKS for protecting all of us...it is certainly a labor of love.^
I would first private message UA INSIDER with your request; Aaron and his team have the inside contacts.

Stay safe on your deployment, and thank you for your service!
Old Dec 2, 2014, 11:56 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum 1.4MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum
I agree it won't hurt to ask and so you should.

Too many people these days would rather say "No" rather than press a few keys here and there to resolve an issue, so give it your best shot and contact them.

Not too long ago, I wrote to 1KVoice asking for original routing credit and the agent denied my request. I pushed back in my reply stating that this was unacceptable and added more of my thoughts and what do you know? She gave me the credit!
Old Dec 2, 2014, 11:58 am

Can you not gift them to friends or family? I personally can never use my GPUs given the limited availability of them IMO, so I usually gift them and they usually get waitlist - if they clear, great, but I'm operating at about 20-30% of the time they clear. Last year I lost 4 of my 10

I think UA has already bent the rules enough to make an exception to still maintain 1K, it's actually the first case I've heard of that on here.

Thanks for your service!
Old Dec 2, 2014, 12:00 pm

Programs: UA Gold, UA MM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond
I hold our military personnel in the highest regard so what I would like to see them do is extend them for you. In saying that, I think they were tremendously generous with you in waiving the 1k requirements due to your situation. Hope they extend them and stay safe.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It would be nice if they would treat the legal protections that servicemen get a bit more broadly than they are. To the extent feasible I think clocks should be tolled while a servicemember is deployed.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 7:22 pm

Programs: UA -GS 4.5 MM, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Hilton Diamond
UA is pretty tough on extending GPUs. I needed to extend one by 1 day to use on a return trip. The wouldn't do it and like you I am a multi-year 1K (made GS once) and just shy of 4MM lifetime. But it never hurts to ask.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 7:30 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, CM Presidential / *A Gold, Hertz 5*
@OP, as some suggested, give them to family/friends who can enjoy them while you are away

Originally Posted by Soccerdad1995
Personally I am a bit confused on why you care about obtaining 1K status when you won't be flying for a while but that's not your question.
so he has the status when he returns that he otherwise would lose. When he gets back in June '15 he can achieve it again and along the way will receive the 1K perks that he would otherwise miss out on

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.