Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Airlines Adds Trans-Atlantic Routes for Summer 2015: EWR-VCE,IAD-CDGx2,ORD-DUB

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Airlines Adds Trans-Atlantic Routes for Summer 2015: EWR-VCE,IAD-CDGx2,ORD-DUB

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2014, 10:54 am

Programs: UA 1K
For some more discussion, see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...tes-italy.html
Old Nov 24, 2014, 11:25 am

Programs: All of them, UA-Plat, 1MM*G
Originally Posted by TWA Guy

Washington to Paris

Flight 140 will depart United's hub at Washington Dulles International Airport daily at 10:10 p.m., arriving at Charles de Gaulle Airport in Paris at 12:20 p.m. the following day.

The second Washington-Paris frequency will operate seasonally from June 4, 2015 through Aug. 17, 2015.
Finally I change that I like. I have hated getting into Paris so early in the AM, especially on weekends. RER isn't really running at full capacity yet, and hotel not ready for check-in. Now if only they will extend this extra flight to year around, I will be a happy camper.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 11:30 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Silver. Former AA gold. UA MP and DL Plat AMEX cardholder
Should be titled, "United adds leisure routes to summer schedule.."

Bringing out the ol' EWR dartboard for the summer. I don't see NYC to VCE doing well. ORD-DUB is a stretch on the 757 and wasn't CDG-IAD adjusted back to the 763 after the 757 kept diverting for fuel during the winter?

Fun routes I suppose but I don't see them as money makers at all.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 11:32 am

ORD - DUB and ORD - FCO, both routes already seasonally offered by AA on 767s. Looks like United is going to *try* and play ball when it comes to TATL out of O'Hare.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 12:24 pm

as somebody

who has worked in airline profitability, Europe, especially these destinations, prints money in the summer. high fares and full planes make it profitable. These destinations in the summer are particularly good but tank in the winter. Good strategic adds, assuming all opportunity costs taken into account.

Originally Posted by REPUBLIC757

Bringing out the ol' EWR dartboard for the summer. I don't see NYC to VCE doing well. ORD-DUB is a stretch on the 757 and wasn't CDG-IAD adjusted back to the 763 after the 757 kept diverting for fuel during the winter?

Old Nov 24, 2014, 12:32 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus 1K, AA Executive Plat, Marriott Ambassador Elite

dartboard for the summer? adding a seasonal destination is a dartboard? UA doesnt do this with any other european destination.

as for the second part of your question, yes, the winter was rough, however, this is an add for the summer only.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 12:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Silver. Former AA gold. UA MP and DL Plat AMEX cardholder
Originally Posted by CALMSP
dartboard for the summer? adding a seasonal destination is a dartboard? UA doesnt do this with any other european destination.

as for the second part of your question, yes, the winter was rough, however, this is an add for the summer only.
How about EZE, IST, CPH, STR? All have come and gone. Not all works from EWR.

This is exactly what it is -- a seasonal add from EWR. I don't envision it sticking around.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 12:43 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
I see no problem with UA trying to make money on seasonal flights. I'm not sure where else UA can go in the summer. The 757 has it's benefit from EWR and ORD-Ireland, England.

I do think the 767-400 might be too big for EWR-ATH but the new 2 class 767-300's should be perfect... Ok, sorry, back to my I want ATH from ORD, but EWR will do..

UA is being smart by adding seasonal flights, again, it's about making money, and these destinations see a ton of tourist. Some of these routes just can't handle all year.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 1:18 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
well, i would expect EWR764 would be making an appearance on the next proposed announcement!
Ha!
Old Nov 24, 2014, 1:21 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat 1MM, AS MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz President's Circle
That 2nd IAD-CDG flight has been on the schedule before; I took it summer 2011. Great timing; leaves late enough to sleep -- even if your body is on west coast time.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 1:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA PP, AA, DL, BA, CX, SPG, HHonors
How about EZE, IST, CPH, STR? All have come and gone. Not all works from EWR.

This is exactly what it is -- a seasonal add from EWR. I don't envision it sticking around.
So just because UA had a handful of failures and all of a sudden EWR became a "dartboard" ?

CPH has been around for YEARS before it was cancelled. That's not a dartboard scenario.

The biggest dartboard I've ever seen was DL's DTW-HKG.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by 787fan
So just because UA had a handful of failures and all of a sudden EWR became a "dartboard" ?

CPH has been around for YEARS before it was cancelled. That's not a dartboard scenario.

Please do not infringe on Virgin America's trademark.

They invented the term 'Route Dartboard', and with their recent additions / subtractions of flights / routes, are executing their strategy perfectly!
Old Nov 24, 2014, 4:08 pm

Programs: MP 1K/Onepass Plat 1MM, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by 787fan

Yeah, they missed big time by overlooking MGQ. They could have filled every flight. Westbound.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Good adds. Have they canceled NCL yet?
Old Nov 24, 2014, 6:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA PP, AA, DL, BA, CX, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by LarkSFO
Please do not infringe on Virgin America's trademark.

They invented the term 'Route Dartboard', and with their recent additions / subtractions of flights / routes, are executing their strategy perfectly!
I thought virgin America is closer to a roulette wheel than a dartboard. And they keep hitting 00.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.