Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA sues "hidden city" search site Skiplagged.com

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 31, 2014, 12:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: J.Edward
Related New Articles for United/Orbitz vs. Skiplagged.com
(Mod Note: While some FTers have chosen to contribute to skiplagged's legal defense we request a direct link to do so not be placed in the wiki.)
Print Wikipost

UA sues "hidden city" search site Skiplagged.com

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2014, 10:03 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Your opinion, not necessarily fact - which is why we have the adversarial court system so a Judge and perhaps a Jury can decide which party's claim is correct.

If I'm on the Jury, neither UA nor Orbitz gets a dime unless they show me actual examples of real damages traced back to this site. As far as the TI claim, I looked at skiplagged and I didn't even recognize a hidden city booking option at first and had to figure out what their pricing graph was even showing me - therefore, the TI claim on its face is a non-starter for me. They are not teaching or training people, or even outright suggesting a specific violation of an airline CoC.
No. No no no. The jury doesn't get to invent the elements of a tort, or decide what parties must show to get damages. What a bizarre misimpression of how civil cases work.

We have law. It specifies who needs to show what in order to get what. The judge or jury in an individual case doesn't make any of the sorts of on-the-fly decisions that you're taking about.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 10:27 am

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by mgcsinc
No. No no no. The jury doesn't get to invent the elements of a tort, or decide what parties must show to get damages. What a bizarre misimpression of how civil cases work.

We have law. It specifies who needs to show what in order to get what. The judge or jury in an individual case doesn't make any of the sorts of on-the-fly decisions that you're taking about.
As a matter of law, I don't think I have to have actual damages to sue to stop another's action in civil court, do I?

Sorry for asking for free legal advice, Ill buy you a lottery ticket with sold miles to compensate you...
Old Nov 20, 2014, 10:37 am
Suspended

Programs: UA PP, AA, DL, BA, CX, SPG, HHonors
Again, eliminate the link - if they presented the information the same way that, for example, ITA shows flight options and instructs customers they must book on their own and the site does not provide booking services or links to booking services, then it's a different story.
Agreed. That's why ITA Matrix wasn't named in the lawsuit this time.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
If anyone's interested, there is already a 1,000+ post thread on the ethics, risks, etc. of hidden-city ticketing in the TravelBuzz forum.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...-vs-497-a.html

It is most notable for the dozens of unsuccessful analogies (some mine) in both the pro and con arguments: Coke doesn't sue you for only drinking half your soda, etc.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 10:48 am

Originally Posted by LaserSailor
As a matter of law, I don't think I have to have actual damages to sue to stop another's action in civil court, do I?

Sorry for asking for free legal advice, Ill buy you a lottery ticket with sold miles to compensate you...
The answer to pretty much any underspecified hypothetical legal question is "it depends."

By lotto ticket, I'm assuming you mean a GPU...

Originally Posted by 787fan
Agreed. That's why ITA Matrix wasn't named in the lawsuit this time.
ITA doesn't do anything resembling what this website was doing. It is also a service provider to the airlines. Of course it wasn't sued.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 3:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC

Yes, the jury does get to decide which party prevails in a civil suit brought before them - I honestly have no idea what you're talking about. If the plaintiff does not show where or how they are damaged, or by how much, do you honestly expect a jury to rule in their favor and award damages someone pulled out of their behind?

Unless UA and Orbitz can show how the activity specific to this website caused them actual damage, there is no real substance to this lawsuit except speculation. There is no smoking gun on the website that specifically describes hidden city ticketing, coaches people on how to do it, or provides any such reference. Most travelers looking at the site would be clueless what the results (only a few of which meet the hidden city ticket test) are describing, and the savvy travelers that can figure it out, already know they are in violation of the CoC, which makes the issue between the airline and the passenger.

The only legitimate claim here is with Orbitz, essentially being dragged into this activity without its knowledge via that booking link. If Orbitz received debit memos from UA or other carriers for the hidden city ticket infractions, it could show actual damages and have a valid claim.

There is no outright or concise action taken by this website to induce a person to knowingly violate the CoC, and the only issue I see in this case is the booking link, something added out of stupidity or greed. I will take a wild guess this website was put together by some unshowered nerd hiding in his mother's basement buried under pizza boxes and empty Cheetos bags.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 3:24 pm

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
Originally Posted by davie355
The public safety claim is a stretch if not laughable. It is mentioned 3 times in the complaint but never addressed except to say that airlines "must comply with numerous air traffic and public safety regulations such as those established by the FAA snd TSA."
Old Nov 20, 2014, 4:31 pm

Yes, the jury does get to decide which party prevails in a civil suit brought before them - I honestly have no idea what you're talking about. If the plaintiff does not show where or how they are damaged, or by how much, do you honestly expect a jury to rule in their favor and award damages someone pulled out of their behind?
Under this vision of how trials work, which bears almost no resemblance to reality, the lawyers just get up one day in front of a jury and present an assortment of evidence about wrongs and rights, and then the jury decides who the good guy is. In the words of the lady from that insurance commercial: "That's not how it works. That's not how any of this works."

A lawsuit is made up of allegations called claims. Each claim has a set of specific legal elements that need to be proved up. The law and the judge, not the jury, decide what the elements of a claim are. The judge provides the jury with instructions detailing the elements of each claim. In a civil jury trial, the jury may be given a specific series of questions to answer rather than coming to an ultimate verdict; this helps guide then through the elements of the claims.

Last edited by mgcsinc; Nov 20, 2014 at 5:36 pm
Old Nov 20, 2014, 5:27 pm

Programs: UA, AS, AA, DL
Originally Posted by LaserSailor
While I have a life, and thus have not thoroughly reviewed the complaint, the principle claims are for "federal unfair competition, tortious interference with contract, breach of contract, and common law misappropriation". This is a mix of tort law and contract law.

A civil tort, definitionally, is about damage (harm, liability). The damages may or may not be monetary, they may be reputational, emotional, they may be to person or property, they may result from violations of privacy or other rights, or they may be damages likely to occur that have not yet occurred. But a tort is always about damages.

Breach of contract is a different branch of the law, and is another "civil wrong". While there may be monetary remedies, the usual request is enforcement of the contract. There need not be damages in order to request enforcement.

But that's not what you asked. You asked about "stop[ping] another's action[s]". That would be an injunction (or injunctive relief). An injunction is a form of non-monetary remedy that can result from a tort case, a breach of contract case, or other (e.g. criminal) case, and provides a remedy other than a financial one. It is a solution, and not a cause of action, and requires either a preliminary or final finding of fact on the part of a judge.

All of this is somewhat moot. If the defendant doesn't have several millions of dollars to defend itself, this case will settle long, long before it appears before a jury.

Without regard to the correctness or lack thereof of the plaintiff's position, I expect SkipLagged.com to fold like a cheap suit.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 1:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
An agreement for what? Did skiplagged.com sign an agreement prohibiting the display of this type of information as part of its ability to pull data from systems owned by UA and Orbitz? If so, then perhaps there is a case here - but we don't know the terms of their contract, so it's only a guess.
Read the complaint, especially the exhibits.

Originally Posted by mherdeg
I'm just surprised that no one has dug up the complaint yet. Bloomberg even gives us the docket number; no excuse. Case is 14-cv-9214, U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois (Chicago).
Thanks. I did read the complaint before posting but unfortunately I have no way to host the complaint.

Do you have anyway to host the exhibits as well, as they tell a better story?

You can't sue over having your miles taken away for misbehavior, because such lawsuits will essentially always be preempted by federal law.

Ginsburg v. Northwest, 134 S. Ct. 1422 (2014)
Not necessary. It depends on how you plead.

The Ginsburg case merely affirms that common law claims are preempted. If you can find a way to bypass this (such as wire fraud for example), you still have a case.

The Supreme Court did question why some of the causes have not been appealed.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 1:35 am

Originally Posted by garykung
Do you have anyway to host the exhibits as well, as they tell a better story?
Sure, I mean, anyone can open a PACER account to read federal court cases -- super easy.

I try not to pull 100s of pages at a time & skipped the exhibits because at $0.10/page it's easy to go past the $15/quarter that you get for free, and then I gotta watch out for the bill and remember to pay it.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 1:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by mherdeg
Sure, I mean, anyone can open a PACER account to read federal court cases -- super easy.

I try not to pull 100s of pages at a time & skipped the exhibits because at $0.10/page it's easy to go past the $15/quarter that you get for free, and then I gotta watch out for the bill and remember to pay it.
I have a PACER account. So I read the exhibits already as well.

It is just for the benefits for other FTers.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 3:51 am

Programs: Mileage Plus: Platinum; Enterprise Plus: Silver
I think on UA there are now no longer any true continuing flights.
I was on one several years ago. It went something like AOO-JST-IAD.

However, I have not encountered any continuation at hubs or large cities.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 4:00 am

Programs: AADULtArer
But that's not what you asked. You asked about "stop[ping] another's action[s]". That would be an injunction (or injunctive relief). An injunction is a form of non-monetary remedy that can result from a tort case, a breach of contract case, or other (e.g. criminal) case, and provides a remedy other than a financial one. It is a solution, and not a cause of action, and requires either a preliminary or final finding of fact on the part of a judge.
Thanks for that, that is exactly where I was going. It's obvious that one should be able to ask for relief from an action for potential damages as opposed to actual.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 3:30 am

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by BangkokTraveler
Originally Posted by Tchiowa
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
Can UA strike back at those that do it?  Take away the miles?

Yes. And they have done it. And the courts have upheld it.
Interesting, do you have a cite where it shows that UA took away miles for hidden-city ticketing and a court upheld it?
You can't sue over having your miles taken away for misbehavior, because such lawsuits will essentially always be preempted by federal law. 

Ginsburg v. Northwest, 134 S. Ct. 1422 (2014)
The case you cited, although interesting (Northwest taking action because the guy has excessive late baggage claims) has nothing to do with the Tchiowa's assertion that UA has taken away miles for hidden ticketing and courts have upheld it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.