Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA to launch a second daily flight from SFO to PVG starting ??? {delayed to 14OCT16?}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA to launch a second daily flight from SFO to PVG starting ??? {delayed to 14OCT16?}

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2014, 1:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by RockinPete
This. Is. Awesome.

This gives me a full business day in Shanghai and I can fly back to SFO.

Currently I either have to fly to LAX (UA199 leaves PVG at 8:25 PM) and clear customs in LAX or stay an extra day and take the morning flight to SFO.

This is excellent news for me! I just need a 2nd (evening) flight from HKG now.
CX and SQ both have you covered there, and offer much more pleasant flying experiences IMO.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 4:50 am
aau

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA MM Gold, HHonors Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Plat, IHG Ambassador
Originally Posted by RockinPete
This. Is. Awesome.

This gives me a full business day in Shanghai and I can fly back to SFO.

Currently I either have to fly to LAX (UA199 leaves PVG at 8:25 PM) and clear customs in LAX or stay an extra day and take the morning flight to SFO.

This is excellent news for me! I just need a 2nd (evening) flight from HKG now.
Yes, love the late departure to LAX, and love the new late departure to SFO. I wish there was a late departure the other way.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 5:27 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, SQ PPS, CX Silver, Accor Platinum, Marriott Gold, SPG Silver
This probably makes more sense than 2x IAH to NRT. Glad to see it, though it does little for me.

Now give me a direct SIN to USA!
Old Dec 14, 2014, 4:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat, Turkish Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold
yeah, I think more flights between US and China are needed. Looking forward to it
Old Dec 15, 2014, 12:01 am

Apparently, the new flight turns around "quickly" at PVG.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 12:33 am

Originally Posted by chriskuo
Apparently, the new flight turns around "quickly" at PVG.
Isn't ~2 hours the turn time for the LAX, ORD, and EWR flights?
Old Dec 15, 2014, 12:40 am

Originally Posted by moondog
Isn't ~2 hours the turn time for the LAX, ORD, and EWR flights?
EWR - 2hr 25min
LAX - 1hr 40min
ORD - 2hr 10min

SFO is the longest at 19 hours.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 1:52 am

Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
EWR - 2hr 25min
LAX - 1hr 40min
ORD - 2hr 10min

SFO is the longest at 19 hours.
Well, of course it is because the plane sits overnight here (always has).
Old Dec 15, 2014, 9:34 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
In connection with the announcement, UA also disclosed that SFO-CTU is going daily for the summer season.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 12:04 am

Programs: BR, UA 1k, CX
Originally Posted by EWR764
Lot of new capacity going into PVG... 789 to LAX, 73G to GUM, 777 to SFO, to go with the existing 2x 744 to SFO/ORD and sCO 777 to EWR.

Perhaps UA should be considering a United Club at PVG, given that PVG is now probably UA's 3rd or 4th largest international station.
The new Air China lounge is nice and big, I think is better than any lounge UA would do, so I hope UA keeps using the AirChina lounge at PVG.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 2:19 pm

Programs: UA,DL
With this second SFO-PVG daily flight and the overall expansion for UA at PVG do you guys think we could see IAD-PVG anytime soon or at all?
Old Feb 20, 2015, 11:44 am

Programs: UA MM/Gold
I have a flight SFO-PVG in late May, was looking for seat availability, and that new flight shows up as an option. I like landing in SFO in the morning from PVG, I usually sleep on that return flight, stay awake all day, then sleep early that evening. Departing PVG at night, then arriving at SFO at night, not sure I like that better.

Anyone else thinking of taking that new flight instead of the regular one?
Old Feb 20, 2015, 12:28 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Taipei
The new Air China lounge is nice and big, I think is better than any lounge UA would do, so I hope UA keeps using the AirChina lounge at PVG.
Perhaps, you talked about a lounge that I did not know. There is no Air China lounge at PVG. The lounge belongs to Shanghai Airlines (now, part of China Eastern Airlines). It is a contract lounge for UA and many other airlines. When you check in, you get an invite for this lounge.
Old Feb 20, 2015, 12:41 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by kyee
I have a flight SFO-PVG in late May, was looking for seat availability, and that new flight shows up as an option. I like landing in SFO in the morning from PVG, I usually sleep on that return flight, stay awake all day, then sleep early that evening. Departing PVG at night, then arriving at SFO at night, not sure I like that better.

Anyone else thinking of taking that new flight instead of the regular one?
The new PVG-SFO flight departs PVG at 9:00 pm and arrives at SFO at 6:00 pm. This is a 12 h flight. If you terminates at the Bay area, it is a good timing because you will have a few hours before going back to sleep. BTW, I booked this flight for a friend who lives near SFO.
Old Feb 20, 2015, 1:17 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
Originally Posted by kyee
Departing PVG at night, then arriving at SFO at night, not sure I like that better.
PVG-LAX runs on a similar schedule, leaving after 20:00 and arriving around 16:00. I quite like the schedule, because it gives me almost an entire day to do last minute shopping and other stuff that otherwise would have to be done on a previous work day. Traffic getting out of Shanghai city in the evening can be quite bad; I leave by 17:00 via airport bus and the trip usually takes an hour during that time.

If you are concerned about jetlag, perhaps try to get yourself to wake up 4 to 3 hours before scheduled landing.

Originally Posted by Kmxu
Perhaps you talked about a lounge that I did not know. There is no Air China lounge at PVG.
CA opened a new lounge at PVG in 2014. It is very nice, two levels of seating, and good food offerings.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.